Could someone help to identify the deck?

AquaUniversalis

AquaUniversalis

Hello. I just saw that there are thoth decks that have absolutely white borders and the ones that have green borders are apparently considered green Thoth. My deck looks like this. I am scratching my head: is my deck a green Thoth or no? Could somebody help me identify? 

8A0CBB63-EB22-4D27-A48B-C964761BD323.jpeg

AJ-ish/Sharyn

definitely a Greenie. I lust for it. The deck has been in print since the 60s' There have been many variations in the quality of the printing and colors. If you ignore those borders and compare the art to another deck with different colored borders you'd see the art is faded or brilliant or mediocre. But you do have a treasure in your well used greenie. And I lust for it. 

edited to add: Welcome to the forum!! Visit often, post frequently! We love new members!

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

AquaUniversalis

Thank you so much, Sharyn, for your warm welcome and help💛 It's my most loved deck in my not very small collection (hence the wear off, haha), so It definitely made me fuzzy inside knowing I have a tarot gem in my hands😻

I must say - I didn't know there were any RUSSIAN greenies. It suggests someone decided to create some; as far as I know when it all happened there were only English language Thoth. But yes - that's good and green.

What size are the cards - they look regular tarot size, too... unless you have a VERY large thumb.

Yes, they look regular Tarot sized! My Greenies are bigger, I wasn't aware that there were different sizes published.

Not of the Greenies, as far as I know. but I have three sizes of not greenies :classic_smile: (not counting the Triskele and the renewed Konigsfurt one.)

AquaUniversalis
2 hours ago, gregory said:

I must say - I didn't know there were any RUSSIAN greenies. It suggests someone decided to create some; as far as I know when it all happened there were only English language Thoth. But yes - that's good and green.

What size are the cards - they look regular tarot size, too... unless you have a VERY large thumb.

No no, hahaha! I have relatively tiny hands, as I happen to be 5'5 ft. and 100 lbs dwarf, haha 😄  

Edit: I mean no, I don't have a big thumb,  yep, they are regular size😅

Edited by AquaUniversalis

AquaUniversalis
2 hours ago, gregory said:

OK then - I suspect a knock-off....

I paid a regular price for them, it wasn't a knock off as far as I remember. 

All I can say - and I am not God ! - is that  I have never heard of a tarot sized greenie, nor of a greenie in Russian. They are rather lovely, anyway :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, AquaUniversalis said:

I paid a regular price for them, it wasn't a knock off as far as I remember. 

I don't know...if they're not a knockoff, they're so uber rare that it seems they would command much more than a normal price. Even the people at Tarot Garden don't seem to have heard of these: http://tarotgarden.com/blog/crowleys-thoth-tarot-edition-comparison-table/

And if they are knockoffs, nobody here would tell you to run out and burn them! What's done is done. Better to concern ourselves with stopping future sales.

AquaUniversalis
16 hours ago, katrinka said:

I don't know...if they're not a knockoff, they're so uber rare that it seems they would command much more than a normal price. Even the people at Tarot Garden don't seem to have heard of these: http://tarotgarden.com/blog/crowleys-thoth-tarot-edition-comparison-table/

And if they are knockoffs, nobody here would tell you to run out and burn them! What's done is done. Better to concern ourselves with stopping future sales.

I guess I will never find out the truth in this case... All I can say is I got it from an esotheric bookstore (like physical one, that sells many tarot decks), not some website as alibaba or similar and I paid a regular price, not a price that would have made me think along the lines of 'woahh that is unusual bargain'. So I don't know what to think at all. I just don't know. I bought them not from a sketchy seller but if they are never heard of before... I don't know what to think at all.

AquaUniversalis
12 hours ago, gregory said:

Yeah. Was it bought as a used deck ?

No, I bought it brand new.

P.S.It also came with a white book and as far as I know fake decks/knock-offs come without it. 

Edited by AquaUniversalis

All quite fascinating. Who does it show as the publisher etc ?

I am not totally surprised that there's one in Russian but VERY surprised about the greenie thing, as that was a glitch AFAIK. May I ask WHEN you bought it - and was it in Russia ?

AquaUniversalis
On 7/20/2020 at 12:21 AM, gregory said:

All quite fascinating. Who does it show as the publisher etc ?

I am not totally surprised that there's one in Russian but VERY surprised about the greenie thing, as that was a glitch AFAIK. May I ask WHEN you bought it - and was it in Russia ?

Publisher is AGMuller I believe, I bought it in Sweden ten years or so ago. 

Flegetanis

I purchased my 2nd, and now only, large Thoth deck in Jerusalem in 1987. It's the multilingual European edition from Muller, and it came in the O.T.O. white box. I've never seen the multilingual one in any of these discussions.

Thoth Tarot 1987 multilingual.jpg

Edited by Flegetanis

Basically because the discussion was  about one version which was mildly puzzling. Does yours have the thee Magus cards ?

Flegetanis

Not this one. I've got a few of those smaller ones with the extra "Magus" cards, though, yeah.