Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AquaUniversalis

Could someone help to identify the deck?

Recommended Posts

AquaUniversalis

Hello. I just saw that there are thoth decks that have absolutely white borders and the ones that have green borders are apparently considered green Thoth. My deck looks like this. I am scratching my head: is my deck a green Thoth or no? Could somebody help me identify? 

8A0CBB63-EB22-4D27-A48B-C964761BD323.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AJ-ish/Sharyn
Posted (edited)

definitely a Greenie. I lust for it. The deck has been in print since the 60s' There have been many variations in the quality of the printing and colors. If you ignore those borders and compare the art to another deck with different colored borders you'd see the art is faded or brilliant or mediocre. But you do have a treasure in your well used greenie. And I lust for it. 

 

edited to add: Welcome to the forum!! Visit often, post frequently! We love new members!

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis

Thank you so much, Sharyn, for your warm welcome and help💛 It's my most loved deck in my not very small collection (hence the wear off, haha), so It definitely made me fuzzy inside knowing I have a tarot gem in my hands😻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

I must say - I didn't know there were any RUSSIAN greenies. It suggests someone decided to create some; as far as I know when it all happened there were only English language Thoth. But yes - that's good and green.

 

What size are the cards - they look regular tarot size, too... unless you have a VERY large thumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka

Yes, they look regular Tarot sized! My Greenies are bigger, I wasn't aware that there were different sizes published.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Not of the Greenies, as far as I know. but I have three sizes of not greenies :classic_smile: (not counting the Triskele and the renewed Konigsfurt one.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gregory said:

I must say - I didn't know there were any RUSSIAN greenies. It suggests someone decided to create some; as far as I know when it all happened there were only English language Thoth. But yes - that's good and green.

 

What size are the cards - they look regular tarot size, too... unless you have a VERY large thumb.

No no, hahaha! I have relatively tiny hands, as I happen to be 5'5 ft. and 100 lbs dwarf, haha 😄  

 

Edit: I mean no, I don't have a big thumb,  yep, they are regular size😅

Edited by AquaUniversalis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

OK then - I suspect a knock-off....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis
2 hours ago, gregory said:

OK then - I suspect a knock-off....

I paid a regular price for them, it wasn't a knock off as far as I remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

All I can say - and I am not God ! - is that  I have never heard of a tarot sized greenie, nor of a greenie in Russian. They are rather lovely, anyway :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
2 hours ago, AquaUniversalis said:

I paid a regular price for them, it wasn't a knock off as far as I remember. 

I don't know...if they're not a knockoff, they're so uber rare that it seems they would command much more than a normal price. Even the people at Tarot Garden don't seem to have heard of these: http://tarotgarden.com/blog/crowleys-thoth-tarot-edition-comparison-table/

And if they are knockoffs, nobody here would tell you to run out and burn them! What's done is done. Better to concern ourselves with stopping future sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis
16 hours ago, katrinka said:

I don't know...if they're not a knockoff, they're so uber rare that it seems they would command much more than a normal price. Even the people at Tarot Garden don't seem to have heard of these: http://tarotgarden.com/blog/crowleys-thoth-tarot-edition-comparison-table/

And if they are knockoffs, nobody here would tell you to run out and burn them! What's done is done. Better to concern ourselves with stopping future sales.

I guess I will never find out the truth in this case... All I can say is I got it from an esotheric bookstore (like physical one, that sells many tarot decks), not some website as alibaba or similar and I paid a regular price, not a price that would have made me think along the lines of 'woahh that is unusual bargain'. So I don't know what to think at all. I just don't know. I bought them not from a sketchy seller but if they are never heard of before... I don't know what to think at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka

Then you have a mysterious Thoth! That's actually pretty cool...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Yeah. Was it bought as a used deck ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gregory said:

Yeah. Was it bought as a used deck ?

No, I bought it brand new.

 

P.S.It also came with a white book and as far as I know fake decks/knock-offs come without it. 

Edited by AquaUniversalis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

All quite fascinating. Who does it show as the publisher etc ?

 

I am not totally surprised that there's one in Russian but VERY surprised about the greenie thing, as that was a glitch AFAIK. May I ask WHEN you bought it - and was it in Russia ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AquaUniversalis
On 7/20/2020 at 12:21 AM, gregory said:

All quite fascinating. Who does it show as the publisher etc ?

 

I am not totally surprised that there's one in Russian but VERY surprised about the greenie thing, as that was a glitch AFAIK. May I ask WHEN you bought it - and was it in Russia ?

Publisher is AGMuller I believe, I bought it in Sweden ten years or so ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gregory

Ah - well, at least AGM makes sense. The greenie still kind of doesn't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.