De Lawrence orange deck

Arcadia

I have been searching for a De Lawrence orange Deck and found one. The price is quite high but the deck is complete with 78 cards and original box. The box has the 225 N Wabash address where the company was located for only one month in 1956. These are the orange printing. This card deck is in great condition. 

I'm so tempted to buy it, but right now i can't justify the cost of paying that much for a deck right now. What is the general costs of these decks i know there are a few coloured versions that can vary in price,

de lawrence comparisons.jpg

Edited by Arcadia

23 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

What is the general costs of these decks i know there are a few coloured versions that can vary in price, 

Cost is a fickle thing and virtually always depends on how many people want a thing, how badly, and how easily they can afford to pay. (Things were cheap in the Great Depression, but money was hard to get.) If you've ever watched Antiques Roadshow, you've probably seen cases where the perceived value of an item has increased or decreased. We saw something similar with old Lenormand decks: ten years ago you could easily find 19th century decks on ebay going for about $40. Then suddenly there was a Lenormand bandwagon, and prices jumped by several hundred dollars. Prices have come down somewhat now, but I don't think we'll see $40 again in our lifetimes.

Money is kind of an abstraction, full of trickery and smoke and mirrors. In some cases, we need to think in terms of investment, but I don't think this is one of them.

It comes down to this: You want the deck. There's a very finite number of copies in the world. Strike while the iron is hot.
After all, it's not something you're investing in because you want to sell at a profit. Forget the numbers and grab it.

Thanks Katrinka, 

Yes i agree, there have been times when i have purchased some OOP decks and paid a lot of money thinking it was an investment. I kicked myself when only a few weeks after i saw another one that was half the price and in better condition so lesson learned. I think i will hang on until i see another De Lawrence not so expensive i'm sure there will be another one lurking around soon. 

The red is the cheapest and the commonest - which is also why it's the only one I have. It cost me $25 in 1983. It's up now on ebay for $250 (and another for $300) - which I would think too much for a red.

ETA as a rabid collector - NEVER look on this stuff as an investment. I have decks I bought for $5 that are worth hundreds now - but also decks I paid a lot for that are barely worth the paper they are printed on now. Buy for love, study and enjoyment.

Edited by gregory

1 hour ago, gregory said:

The red is the cheapest and the commonest - which is also why it's the only one I have. It cost me $25 in 1983. It's up now on ebay for $250 (and another for $300) - which I would think too much for a red.

I also like the red version decks that was good price you paid for Gregory back then. 

It was. I have so many decks I bought for that sort of price ! And even now, one buys a deck when it comes out, thinks nothing more about it and then it shows up on ebay as OOP at a jawdropping price. And sometimes that actually is true and it's a fair price.