PathWalker

Help required - with Hungarian!

PathWalker

No idea where I should have put this - but it's 'chat' rather than anything else I think.

Can anyone translate Hungarian - complete with all the letter accents (which is why I can't use a translate programme?) please?

I am hoping to be able to read the accompanying paragraph with each card of a majors-only deck I have. I could provide a photo of the relevant piece of page.

Even just one of the cards would be super - I'd probably pick the Hermit :classic_smile:

If anyone would like to do all 22 cards I could recompense with a copy of the Patchwork tarots I make? (Might need help with P&P if you're outside Europe) 

Please let me know if you can help - or know a Hungarian translator in the UK  thank you

PathWalker

Decan
Posted (edited)

You can translate a text in Hungarian to English using google translate; I did it recently to translate a LWB from Czech to French 😁

Use your google-fu to find a virtual Hungarian keypad online. Then pray because the next step will require a bit of patience...🙃 that is type your text in Hungarian with all the special accents using the virtual keypad.

Then copy-paste in google translate the text properly typed, the result will be likely correct.

Edited by Decan

PathWalker

Ah, "virtual Hungarian keyboard" - many thanks! Who knew?

PW  :classic_smile:

Decan

You're welcome!

I hope nevertheless that there aren't in your text some typical Hungarian expressions impossible to translate when you aren't a native; I met that in my text in Czech and honestly I still don't know what they mean exactly in Czechoslovakia when they say that they let the shaving soap in the till, well... mystery mystery! 😁

Courage! You'll need it after typing a few pages letter after letter!

DanielJUK

if you use google translate online from a web browser or a mobile app version, there is a virtual keyboard in the language you want to enter. It's a button that looks like a oblong keyboard (it's easy to miss it) in the bottom right hand of the text entry box on the left. The keyboard changes to the language you select to translate.

On the app version you can also handwrite in characters / text and also hold the camera up at another language to translate. I just translated a bag of icing sugar from a polish convenience shop to make sure it was icing sugar as I was told for a cake 🙂 Holding up the camera on a phone to translate live is not perfect, it's a bit dodgy but amazing for menus and signs in another country!

Hope you manage to translate it ❤️

katrinka
7 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

if you use google translate online from a web browser or a mobile app version, there is a virtual keyboard in the language you want to enter. It's a button that looks like a oblong keyboard (it's easy to miss it) in the bottom right hand of the text entry box on the left. The keyboard changes to the language you select to translate.

Yes, and it may not be there when you first pull the site up.
No worries, it shows up once you start typing text in languages that require special characters. Just start typing using your regular letters:

Capture.thumb.JPG.364e69303d6b7a869ab39691a7afa988.JPG

Decan

Actually I didn't know that there was this option on google translate, but indeed it is really really discreet! 🤪

katrinka

A little TOO discreet. It's hidden, like an Easter egg.

Kath
Posted (edited)

I read and write Hungarian.  I'm very rusty, but I can have a crack for you. Or if google translate gives you some gibberish, I can try and work out what it means.  

ETA:  you can install language keyboards on iPhones and iPads, with spell checker included. 

Edited by Kath

PathWalker

Thank you all - for all of this - I will give it a go next week.

I'm on a desktop computer, but I can bring up the google translate keyboard with a bit of search around, and I'll start with that and see how I get on  :classic_smile:

@Kath thank you for the offer on any bits that still make no sense!  :classic_smile:

Kath
Posted (edited)

@PathWalker No problem.  If the keyboard gives you trouble, you can send me pics of the paragraphs.  If I can't translate, I'll call my mum! LOL

Edited by Kath

PathWalker

Just to let folks know that the Hungarian translate is very good - thank you all and thank you google!

It's a long-winded process with the extra letters, and the script I'm typing from is brown ink on cream paper with small characters - but hey, it's working, thank you!

"Hermit.
or
To the crystallization of the will. Ascetic lead, the lantern holder, wise man on the mountain, calm, self-control.
The Hermit has come to the realization that what he wanted must not happen in the outside world, but in his own inside. He is ready to help anyone who cries out for light. But only those who dare, do, and become silent will see the light of its sparkling stars."

Decan
5 minutes ago, PathWalker said:

It's a long-winded process with the extra letters, and the script I'm typing from is brown ink on cream paper with small characters - but hey, it's working

You can scan the page so that your visibility of the words will be better. It’s what I did with the LWB I translated, the text was too little so I scanned.
Fine that this works well for your text in Hungarian!