Do you like your cats Mystical or Pagan?

Marirowana

Or otherwise? 

I noticed a dedicated fanbase for the Mystical Cats Tarot and for the Tarot of the Pagan Cats. And since cats are a popular theme in the tarot deck world, I noticed that there are at least a dozen other cat decks to choose from. 

Which ones do you own, and which is your favourite? Which one goes most in-depth and is readable to you? Let's talk cats! My furry purr creature Mizu is in my lap while writing this.

I own both (and other cat decks but a family Situation has just started to hit; no time to list them) - Pagan Cats comes top of them all by a country mile. It speaks, it looks good, the book is excellent and the thought that has gone into the cards is of the highest quality (Barbara Moore was the creator who briefed the artist.)

Mystical Cats is  is nice, but just not in the same class, IMNVHO.

And Lillie - NOT a cat person, very much a DOG person was completely captivated: 

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pagan-cats/

I prefer my cats Baroque Bohemian.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/baroque-bohemian-cats/

And for disclosure's sake, I'm primarily a dog person. Dogs are ride-or-die friends, they alert us to everything from prowlers to rats, I've had some who would have gladly thrown their lives away for me. Cats, OTOH, assume it's understood that you're on your own. They're the friends who are cool to hang out with, but don't expect any big favors. (There are occasional exceptions to this. I know of one who jumped in front of his owner and killed a venomous snake before it got a chance to strike!) So cats are endlessly fascinating, and there's a lot more going on in their little minds than most people assume. That's why I love this deck, the expressions are perfect. A tarot with a cat's eye view, and it reads true. 🤩

Edited by katrinka

Little Fang

I have trouble choosing between them, I'm mostly Pagan Cats because I've had that deck forever in my journey.  However, nowadays I lean Grimalkin 😉 My current favorite deck.

I have a couple of editions of the Baroque Bohemian Cats, Mystical Cats, Pagan Cats, Tarot for Cats, might be a couple of others, but want to give a shout out to the Medieval Cats as it's quite humourous.

medieval-cat-03075.jpg.910c5204423b29dc038c3996f428c2b4.jpg

Oh yes - Grimalkin is rather wonderful. But as yet it doesn't chat as well.

The BBC is very pretty, and I used to be devoted - but - well, cats actually DON'T wear clothes and that did actually start to bother me.

An then there's the b/w Feline Arcana - one that fell over on KS but revived on printer studio: humans with cats' heads. I rather like it.

https://www.printerstudio.com/sell/designs/feline-arcana.html

Cats actually don't have human bodies, either, but I hope you can continue to enjoy it, lol. 

Some people get creeped out, like with that movie version of Cats.

Edited by katrinka

Little Fang

I watched that movie 3 times in the last few days, and will watch it forever. I got used to the human-body-cats! ❤️ 

I know some people were freaked out at the "bendy rubber cats" on the Black Cats Tarot, one of my first decks, but I also loved it so that explains a lot huh?

The Tarot of White Cats is also super good!

I'm not a cat person, and never thought I would ever own a cat deck but have recently been spying some really cute feline themed cards which may change my mind!

If I had to choose between the Pagan and Mystical... I would pick the Pagan deck. 

10 hours ago, Little Fang said:

I watched that movie 3 times in the last few days, and will watch it forever. I got used to the human-body-cats! ❤️ 

I haven't actually watched anything but clips, but with Jennifer Hudson in it, it can't be bad. She's got an Aretha Franklin biopic coming out, as you've probably heard. When Aretha was still in this world,  she personally picked JH to play her in the movie. The girl can SING. 

Google is turning up some new cat decks:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/701355674/the-weird-cat-tarot-deck-and-guidebook

https://www.etsy.com/listing/709979234/tarot-cats-a-78-card-cat-fan-tarot-deck

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/cat-tarot

(I'm not sure about that Emperor card. Pets tend not to feel very powerful or royal when they have to wear a cone.)

Edited by katrinka

On 8/4/2020 at 3:21 PM, gregory said:

I own both (and other cat decks but a family Situation has just started to hit; no time to list them) - Pagan Cats comes top of them all by a country mile. It speaks, it looks good, the book is excellent and the thought that has gone into the cards is of the highest quality (Barbara Moore was the creator who briefed the artist.)

Mystical Cats is  is nice, but just not in the same class, IMNVHO.

And Lillie - NOT a cat person, very much a DOG person was completely captivated: 

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pagan-cats/

That's a clear vote for Pagan Cats! 😄 Or two votes actually, I see Lillies love declaration and it's pretty contagious!

On 8/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, katrinka said:

I prefer my cats Baroque Bohemian.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/baroque-bohemian-cats/

And for disclosure's sake, I'm primarily a dog person. Dogs are ride-or-die friends, they alert us to everything from prowlers to rats, I've had some who would have gladly thrown their lives away for me. Cats, OTOH, assume it's understood that you're on your own. They're the friends who are cool to hang out with, but don't expect any big favors. (There are occasional exceptions to this. I know of one who jumped in front of his owner and killed a venomous snake before it got a chance to strike!) So cats are endlessly fascinating, and there's a lot more going on in their little minds than most people assume. That's why I love this deck, the expressions are perfect. A tarot with a cat's eye view, and it reads true. 🤩

That deck looks lovely. I just ordered my first Baba Studios deck, so I spent some time on their website today and ofcourse came across the Baroque cats.

I like your personality description of cats, and it's exactly what I like about them. They are on their own, are good at communicating their own boundaries - all whilst prioritising naps and snacks. I can relate 😉 

22 hours ago, Little Fang said:

I have trouble choosing between them, I'm mostly Pagan Cats because I've had that deck forever in my journey.  However, nowadays I lean Grimalkin 😉 My current favorite deck.

Grimalkin looks nice, has a very appealing art style. And I hadn't seen it yet! Perhaps because it doesn't have the word 'cat' in the name. 

22 hours ago, ilweran said:

I have a couple of editions of the Baroque Bohemian Cats, Mystical Cats, Pagan Cats, Tarot for Cats, might be a couple of others, but want to give a shout out to the Medieval Cats as it's quite humourous.

Thanks for the shoutout! I initially scrolled past this deck, but you inspired me to take a closer look for the humorous element 🙂 

17 hours ago, gregory said:

An then there's the b/w Feline Arcana - one that fell over on KS but revived on printer studio: humans with cats' heads. I rather like it.

https://www.printerstudio.com/sell/designs/feline-arcana.html

Somehow this artist pulled of the 'cats in clothes' without looking cutesie. The rough penstrokes gives it such a unique feel.

12 hours ago, Little Fang said:

I know some people were freaked out at the "bendy rubber cats" on the Black Cats Tarot, one of my first decks, but I also loved it so that explains a lot huh?

The Tarot of White Cats is also super good!

Any Cats song stuck in your head now? 😁 Some are pretty catchy (pun intended). 

7 hours ago, Grace said:

I'm not a cat person, and never thought I would ever own a cat deck but have recently been spying some really cute feline themed cards which may change my mind!

If I had to choose between the Pagan and Mystical... I would pick the Pagan deck. 

Some cat decks are more than just a cat 'themed' deck, they are a story on their own. I think those are suitable for non-cat people as well I'd say!

2 hours ago, katrinka said:

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/products/cat-tarot

(I'm not sure about that Emperor card. Pets tend not to feel very powerful or royal when they have to wear a cone.)

I agree! A cat with a cone has been taken out of their power by their human... Which is not exactly a suitable symbol for the Emperor card. 

As a thank you for sharing all your catty experiences, here's a picture of my favourite cat card. It shows the spirit of catnip, in a beautiful respectful way.

(Plant Spirit Oracle, by Dana O'Driscoll)

P_20200805_165325_vHDR_On.jpg

Edited by Marirowana
typo

Little Fang

@Marirowana That card is awesome!  And honestly, I've been singing Beautiful Ghosts almost nonstop... (but all the songs play on repeat in my head, I've seen the musical video at least 100 times)

That catnip card needs to be printed BIG, on fluttery cloth. It would look beautiful hanging in a doorway, like a Japanese noren, or just hung up indoors or out, catching an occasional breeze.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, gregory said:

Oh yes - Grimalkin is rather wonderful. But as yet it doesn't chat as well.

I have her Wise Dog Tarot. I bought it simply because it has Shelties in it, and because there's a dearth of dog Tarots. And while it isn't what I would call chatty, it does speak on a very personal level. But I suppose that's to be expected from a dog deck, since they spend their lives shadowing us. We never walk to the bathroom alone.

I'm guessing the Grimalkin will get chattier once it warms up. After all, it's a cat deck. 😁

On 8/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, Marirowana said:

Some cat decks are more than just a cat 'themed' deck, they are a story on their own. I think those are suitable for non-cat people as well I'd say!

Yes. I suspect cat person-ness might be a spectrum:

Maybe dedicated cat people need lots of cat decks (there are certainly a lot of them in print!) but -
People who like cats but are less dedicated only need a few.
And it's possible that cat-neutral people can make do with one great cat deck.

As for people who actively loathe cats and don't hesitate to say so, those have always been controlling types, IME, and probably aren't cut out to be readers!

Just a theory. 😉 And yes, I know cat people who own NO cat decks. As with everything, there are exceptions!

Edited by katrinka

I don't own any cat decks - so I'm "not cut out to be a reader" ?

I don't own dog decks either. Or unicorns, or horses, (although I do have Rabbits and Rats.)

Not sure your theory is holding up there.

Edited by PathWalker

3 hours ago, PathWalker said:

Not sure your theory is holding up there

Me neither I'm afraid. I'm totally enslaved by and devoted to the feline overloard, but only have the one cat deck which is the Pagan Cats. I like that one very much tho.

Did we mention the Tarot for the Cat People deck yet? Just another one for the list 😄

3 hours ago, PathWalker said:

I don't own any cat decks - so I'm "not cut out to be a reader" ?

I don't own dog decks either. Or unicorns, or horses, (although I do have Rabbits and Rats.)

Not sure your theory is holding up there.

Ah, but not owning cat decks is not the same thing as actively loathing cats and being a control freak:

5 hours ago, katrinka said:

As for people who actively loathe cats and don't hesitate to say so, those have always been controlling types, IME, and probably aren't cut out to be readers!

The theory is still intact.

2 hours ago, Grace said:

Well.... Today is International Cat day.... 😻.... so happy meowing to all! 

Happy International Cat day! 💜

Out of those 2, I prefer the Mystical to the Pagan; it feels more cat-like to me.

But my favourite cat deck is the Playful Heart!

OK, not *all* cards contain cats.... but it is just SO happy making! 😻