Any Interest in Starting a New 78 Week Study?

Gardener

Hello Tarot friends,

I see that a couple years ago a number of people gathered to share in a 78 week study.  I am just picking up a new deck, the Wild Unknown Tarot, and I'm thinking I would enjoy a 78 week study with this lovely deck.  You, of course, are free to pick any deck of your own.  We could also individually choose to either study the cards in order, or by random draw.  I am thinking of going in order, just because some authors show a journey through each suit, and I'm hoping that's the case with Wild Unknown.  I haven't really worked out the details.  One thing I've been thinking of is Mary Greer's 21 ways to read a tarot card.  Maybe we could post 7 of those ways here, and over the course of the week each of us could do anywhere from 1-7 ways for that week's given card.  I'd probably do 3, because who doesn't love the number 3?  Unless it's the 3 of Swords...

Would anyone like to join me?  We have cookies!

17 hours ago, Gardener said:

Would anyone like to join me?

I'd love to join! I've started a while ago to make my own "book" with interpretations, quotes, symbolism and so on for RWS based decks, one or two pages per card. I got all the way to the High Priestess! 🤣 

Doing a 78 week study would be pretty much the same, just a bit more deck specific. I could really do with the motivation of doing it in a group. Great idea to use some ways of Mary Greer's 21 Ways, I really enjoyed the book and use it a lot, altho sometimes only to peek at the last few pages with her collection of card interpretations. 

Now what deck to choose, I'm gonna have to think about that... 😊

Hello surreal and Rupicapra!  So nice to meet you!  It looks like we might be going on an adventure together.  I don't think I've ever committed to a study group designed to last more than a year before.  Kind of intense...

So, surreal, you don't have to use the Wild Unknown Tarot unless you want to.  You can use any deck.

We all get to decide what our study is going to look like together.  And of course we can do different things - we don't all have to choose the same approach.

I think so far the only given structure is to work through one card a week, for 78 weeks, presumably all from the same deck. I don't think it will make as much sense if we change decks in the middle.  I was trying an experiment last week where I compared the same card from three decks and I was amazed at how different the three artists' interpretations were.  There was almost nothing in common!  At first that really frustrated me, then I realized that each artist had just gone on a really deep journey, highly individual.  It's actually what inspired me to consider this 78 week study, to develop my own interpretations of each card.  

Oh, it's going to be hard to choose a deck!

Here are some of the things we get to decide - 

1) Choose your deck

2) Go in order or random draw

3) What kinds of questions will we ask

I really like the idea of Mary Greer's 21 Ways, and I'm glad you like it too, Rupicapra.  I think we should choose from the buffet, maybe pick 3 "ways" of reading to apply each week.  Each of us individually could do just one, or as many as we like, of course, but it might be fun to pick three together.  I tend to go with the number/suit analysis, then intuition.  But it might be nice to mix it up.  Mary's Way #4 is to make up a story, and that's kind of appealing, isn't it?

Surreal, you don't have to have the book - I'll write a few of the 21 Ways into this thread for us to choose from.  But this post is long enough!

I am going to suggest we start a week from tomorrow, Sunday August 30.  Does that sound good?

Cheers!

Contrascarpe

OK, I’m game. Assuming you do the Wild Unknown, I actually don’t own a copy of this deck, but I know someone who does.

Edited by Contrascarpe

I am glad of an excuse to buy another tarot book so I have ordered the 21 ways book. I had a look at the what's inside bit on amazon and feel that I will enjoy using the book. Tarot reversals is a book that I use frequently and I also enjoy her blog. incidentally will we consider reverse meanings of the cards we look at?

As I understand it we can use different decks. If this is so then I may use the deviant moon ,the mary el or possibly the golden tarot. It is going to be hard to decide.

Hey surreal, I think you're going to really like the book.  It's in two parts, Apprentice and Adept.  I skimmed the Apprentice part so I could make a summary here, and there's a lot of great ideas.  My suggestion is that you pick and choose.  For example, one week you could just describe the card literally and then describe it emotionally.  Another week you could list the symbols and read the book meaning.  A third week you could find a myth to represent that week's card.  That way you're not doing the same routine every week.

Of course, if you want to do the same routine every week, that's fine too.  This is YOUR deck study!

Here is the list of the Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card

Step 0:  I open myself to all possibilities.

Step 1:  The name of the card is:

Step 2:  A literal description of the card

Step 3:  Emotions / feelings / attitudes of the figures, and mood / atmosphere of the environment

Step 4:  “Once upon a time…”

Step 5:  The number (0-21, 1-10) or rank (P, Kn, Q, K) is about:

Step 6:  The suit / element / mode is about:

Step 7:  Synthesize Step 5 and Step 6, and smooth them out

Step 8:  Name some metaphors

Step 9:  Ask open ended questions - how, what, when

What kind of person

How did they get here

What do they want

Where are they going

Your responses, and snapshots that arise in your memory

Step 10:  Book meanings

Step 11:  A range of meanings from benefits to liabilities

Where I am now

Where I want to be

How do I get there

Step 12:  Modification based on position in a spread - draw 2 additional cards, after assigning the positions of a 3 card spread

Step 13:  Symbols - list the symbols on your card, and their meaning

Step 14:  Dignities - affinities and antipathies - draw 2 additional cards

Step 15:  Have a conversation with the figure in the card, maybe even the objects too

Step 16:  Sketch the card

Step 17:  Embody the card - position yourself in the position of the figure and imagine taking on that card’s attributes physically.  If action is implied, take the action

Step 18:  Guided visualization - a meditiative extension of the imaginative journeys of Step 4, Step 9, Step 15, Step 17

Step 19:  Find a myth, fairy tale, movie or song that fits the card.  Play out the story, exploring alternative endings.

Step 20:  Deck comparison - find your card in 3 additional decks

Note similarities and differences

Note new meanings available, or apply other steps to the 3 new cards

See if you want to update your keywords/phrases for your card

Step 21:  The Possible Self - Create an affirmation from the card.  If the card is traditionally a difficult card, change “bitter truth” to “fruitful opportunity”

Edited by Gardener

Hello dearest contrascarpe,

I know that sometimes I write very long posts, and some people don't want to read very long posts.

So - briefly - you get to pick your own deck!

Everyone gets to pick whatever deck they want.

I do suggest you stay with one deck all 78 weeks, but nobody will come and break your knees if you switch decks midstream...

Hi surreal,

I personally hope you pick the Mary-El.  That deck has been sitting in my closet for years, and deserves a chance to come out and play.  I'd love to see what you do with it.

So as for reversals, I suggest that be one of the aspects you CAN consider each week, one of the many options.  Mary Greer's Step 11 caught my eye on this point.  She talks about the range of meanings from "benefits" to "liabilities" in a single card, so you think of the card as having many possible interpretations.  I think that is Mary's greatest contribution, suggesting to us that a single card can mean so many different things, not just depending on the position in the spread or connection to other cards in the spread, but also depending on the question and what catches your eye.

I think personally I will draw a random card each week, asking - what do you want me to focus on this week.  And I will always draw upright, but I will consider that the card includes its reversed meanings.  But that's just for me.  You could draw from a deck that includes reversals, if you prefer.

FindYourSovereignty

I am interested in participating in this, however, I do have a question about the need to skip a week or two. I am participating in a Vipassana 10-day meditation and will not have access to any outside electronics, books, etc. from September 9-20. I don't want to cause a blip in the process especially right at the beginning, but with my tarot studies, I like the idea of adding a focus on one specific deck for the year. 

When we did the 78 card thing on AT, ages ago, many of us skipped weeks from time to time. And if you are all doing random cards, why would it matter ? (In the AT one we had a set card order.) It's more important to commit than to keep a rigid timetable.

That said, when I was without internet for a few weeks, I did the thing, and then posted several at once when I got back on line.

I personally think it works better with a fixed order of cards, tough, and a thread for each card - that way you can get direct comparisons - what all members think about the Fool, about the three cups, etc. And IIRC there are already threads set up for every card from when we tried to get this started a while ago. Shame not to use them....

Welcome FindYourSovereignty and peacewing!  Happy to have you join us.

No worries at all about missed weeks.  Because people can choose to go through the cards in the order created by random draw, we are not all going to be on the same card in the same week.  I am even thinking we will welcome people who want to join midstream, whose 78 weeks will start later and finish later.  Of course, the energy of going through at the same time with a group of people is wonderful, and hopefully we can all encourage each other when we grow weary.  78 weeks is a long haul!  But I'm very excited to take a deep dive into a single deck.  It has been a long time since I spent months studying just one deck.

FindYourSovereignty and peacewing, have you started to imagine which deck you'd like to spend 78 weeks getting to know?

I said originally I was going to study the Wild Unknown, but I have since changed my mind.  I am going to study the Greenwood.

Very excited to see what other decks people will be using.

Gregory, great idea to use Trogon's existing card threads, thanks for that!  I've started an Index thread for us.  Sadly, I can't use Trogon's index thread because he's got the 2017-2019 dates as part of each thread title.  So I am in the process of creating a new index thread.  Everyone, please ignore that thread while it is still in DRAFT.  It's probably going to take me a couple days to finish.

FindYourSovereignty
3 hours ago, gregory said:

When we did the 78 card thing on AT, ages ago, many of us skipped weeks from time to time. And if you are all doing random cards, why would it matter ? (In the AT one we had a set card order.) It's more important to commit than to keep a rigid timetable.

This makes complete sense. Thank you for sharing.

That said, when I was without internet for a few weeks, I did the thing, and then posted several at once when I got back on line.

I thought about this idea as well since I don’t want to miss out on studying a card.

I personally think it works better with a fixed order of cards, tough, and a thread for each card - that way you can get direct comparisons - what all members think about the Fool, about the three cups, etc.

I see some real value in this approach. Sometimes I feel like I reflect on something in the group and no one else is reflecting on the same thing so there are no comments or engagement. I know I will personally be more inclined to participate in conversation about the same card that I am also working with.

FindYourSovereignty
11 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Welcome FindYourSovereignty and peacewing!  Happy to have you join us.

Thank you. I am looking forward to it.

No worries at all about missed weeks.  Because people can choose to go through the cards in the order created by random draw, we are not all going to be on the same card in the same week.  I am even thinking we will welcome people who want to join midstream, whose 78 weeks will start later and finish later.  Of course, the energy of going through at the same time with a group of people is wonderful, and hopefully we can all encourage each other when we grow weary.  78 weeks is a long haul!  But I'm very excited to take a deep dive into a single deck.  It has been a long time since I spent months studying just one deck.

Good to know. Is everyone doing the random pull?

FindYourSovereignty and peacewing, have you started to imagine which deck you'd like to spend 78 weeks getting to know?

I said originally I was going to study the Wild Unknown, but I have since changed my mind.  I am going to study the Greenwood.

Very excited to see what other decks people will be using.

Well, since I just got in the Wild Unknown, I thought of doing that one, but I am going to look through my decks and see which one speaks to me about participating.

Thank you for organizing this.

Hi FindYourSovereignty,

I think some people are going to go in order, and some will go by random draw.  At first I was planning to go in order, because that's so, well, orderly.  But then I was discussing this study with a wise friend, and she said  - "I always prefer to let the numinous participate."  So that changed my mind.  But everyone is free to choose.

You get to choose:

1) Which deck to work with (I recommend staying with one deck all 78 weeks, though)

2) Whether to go in order or by random draw

3) What your study for that week will consist of.  I posted above Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card to give you suggestions.

Regarding what your study will consist of - if you check out the posts by Hemera under the 2017-2019 study, you'll see she did the same analysis for every card.  Personally, I'm going to mix it up a bit, so I don't feel stagnant by mid-winter.  In case you haven't been able to tell, I'm a big believer in mixing it up.  But if you did the same analysis every week, you'd have your own tidy book, which I suspect you'd find valuable for years to come.

Cheers!

FindYourSovereignty
1 hour ago, Gardener said:

Hi FindYourSovereignty,

I think some people are going to go in order, and some will go by random draw.  At first I was planning to go in order, because that's so, well, orderly.  But then I was discussing this study with a wise friend, and she said  - "I always prefer to let the numinous participate."  So that changed my mind.  But everyone is free to choose.

You get to choose:

1) Which deck to work with (I recommend staying with one deck all 78 weeks, though)

3) What your study for that week will consist of.  I posted above Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card to give you suggestions.

Regarding what your study will consist of - if you check out the posts by Hemera under the 2017-2019 study, you'll see she did the same analysis for every card.  Personally, I'm going to mix it up a bit, so I don't feel stagnant by mid-winter.  In case you haven't been able to tell, I'm a big believer in mixing it up.  But if you did the same analysis every week, you'd have your own tidy book, which I suspect you'd find valuable for years to come.

Cheers!

Thank you for all of these details and will review the posts by Hemera. Stepping outside of the box is always popular for me hence my desire to incorporate a bit more structure in this study for myself. I embrace the tidy book idea and feel it is calling to me. 

❤️ 

I had few crazy days and not been on here much, but I'm still up for it 🙂 

I think I'll use the Morgan Greer. It doesn't have a lot of symbols, not very intricate imaging, but some symbols and a lot of colours. And I think I have found my personal perfect match in it. 

Probably going in order... but I'll see how it goes.

maybe some random ways out of the 21 Ways..

Good idea to use the existing threads for the cards, a lot of them are empty anyway.

Can't wait to get started! 

5 hours ago, Gardener said:

Gregory, great idea to use Trogon's existing card threads, thanks for that!  I've started an Index thread for us.  Sadly, I can't use Trogon's index thread because he's got the 2017-2019 dates as part of each thread title.  So I am in the process of creating a new index thread.  Everyone, please ignore that thread while it is still in DRAFT.  It's probably going to take me a couple days to finish.

Not if you check your messages.... :classic_wink:

Gregory, you are a TREASURE!  You exquisite creature!  Thank you!

I am still technically "at the office" but I will update our index thread tonight.

Meanwhile, I am in a total tizzy trying to decide which deck to commit to for 78 weeks.  It's a loooooooong time to be monogamous...

How are other people choosing their decks?

Rupicapra - the Morgan Greer was my third deck, back in the 80s when I was in high school.  I loved it!  I can't believe it's still in print.

Yes it is still in print! They even sell a smaller version in a tin! It's older than me, but not by much! The deck as such I mean, not my edition. I really love it and it is my favourite deck at the moment.

It was hard to choose, I got a few decks I like, but this is the one that I feel deserves that long a commitment from me, and I think that I can stick with it without getting bored.

Contrascarpe
8 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi FindYourSovereignty,

You get to choose:

Cheers!

Just a suggestion regarding the random vs. in order format. Maybe the first week everyone could post The Fool (since that’s the natural “jumping off point” of the fool’s journey. Then everyone can decide whether they like the format of a sequential review or not.

Gardener said

How are other people choosing their decks?

I am asking how the deck will work in this then drawing a card .

21 ways has arrived and I am finding it very interesting. I will be using the methods in it.

I haven't had a lot of free time lately so I've been lurking here a little more than usual, not speaking up as much over the last few weeks... months... time flies!

But I do love this idea and have decided to participate!!! I think it will add a nice element to my Qabalah studies. Henceforth, I will be working with my Hermetic Deck.