Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 166 : September 12 - September 18

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc.

Participants:

1.  VGimlet -Edgar Allen Poe Tarot

2. TheFeeLion - Tarot of the Divine

3. Amberjune - Moonchild Tarot and the Plant Ally cards

4. WildPlace - Crow Tarot

5. Bodhiseed - Cosmic Tarot paired with the L'Oeil de Lotus

6. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Rogue Tarot

7. vulprix - Mythic Tarot

8. Madame Squee - Victorian Gothic Lenormand + Murder of Crows

(476)

Edited by VGimlet

I'm going to carry on with Fairy Lights again this week. 

I just checked on their flattening progress and they're looking so much better! I've put some of them back under the books to hopefully flatten a bit more, they've still got a bit to much undulation to them 🤞

I thought i'd spend some time with the Crow Tarot next week, I've not owned it very long and haven't had much time recently to spend with it 🙂 

On 9/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, VGimlet said:

On to the Edgar Allen Poe Tarot this week - I have no expectations.  

I've had a lot of author/book themed decks over the years. I've decided that to get the 78 cards they have to use quite obscure to me characters or settings and the cards drawn just leave me thinking huh?  I did though, in aid of edification read the entire annotated works of Shakespeare, the Alice in Wonderland series, and Dracula and once again tried to read Jane Austen. And once again failed on that one, I just don't get the love.

I'm using my own Rogue Tarot this week, 79 cards from 79 different decks. Love the squirrel! 

4 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I've had a lot of author/book themed decks over the years. I've decided that to get the 78 cards they have to use quite obscure to me characters or settings and the cards drawn just leave me thinking huh?  I did though, in aid of edification read the entire annotated works of Shakespeare, the Alice in Wonderland series, and Dracula and once again tried to read Jane Austen. And once again failed on that one, I just don't get the love.

I'm with you here.   I have a sub-collection of literary tarots which is why I bought this.   I think only if you are a deep reader of those authors (in general) will they cards really be useful.  Still, I'll give them a chance.  

This week I'll be using the Cosmic Tarot, created by Norbert Losche and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be drawing from L'Oeil de Lotus (Eye of the Lotus), created by Colette and Gérard Lougarre and published by Vox Arkhana. Today's cards are the Prince (Knight) of Wands and Detachment:

knight%2Bwands.jpgdetachment.jpg

The Prince of Wands lives by T.S. Eliot's words: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." He also likes a party, so he'll convince others to tag along on his adventures (and with his charisma, that's easy to do). The problem with the Prince is that he often has little discernment between a great cause worthy of risking one's neck and what is purely an adrenaline rush. The EMTs know him and his posse well. The Eye of the Lotus card shows a rope slipping off a dock cleat, indicating a need to untie oneself from a person or situation. Caring does not include enabling or supporting insanity; detachment means we let the responsible parties be responsible for a change. Disengaging from emotional entanglement helps us see objectively without creating resentment.

Detachment is profoundly honest, grounded firmly in the truth of what is.
~Sharon Salzberg

4 hours ago, Bodhiseed said:

This week I'll be using the Cosmic Tarot, created by Norbert Losche and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be drawing from L'Oeil de Lotus (Eye of the Lotus), created by Colette and Gérard Lougarre and published by Vox Arkhana. Today's cards are the Prince (Knight) of Wands and Detachment:

The Prince of Wands lives by T.S. Eliot's words: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." He also likes a party, so he'll convince others to tag along on his adventures (and with his charisma, that's easy to do). The problem with the Prince is that he often has little discernment between a great cause worthy of risking one's neck and what is purely an adrenaline rush. The EMTs know him and his posse well. The Eye of the Lotus card shows a rope slipping off a dock cleat, indicating a need to untie oneself from a person or situation. Caring does not include enabling or supporting insanity; detachment means we let the responsible parties be responsible for a change. Disengaging from emotional entanglement helps us see objectively without creating resentment.

Detachment is profoundly honest, grounded firmly in the truth of what is.
~Sharon Salzberg

@Bodhiseed  Cosmic Tarot is one of my all-time favorites. Your description of the Prince of Wands is so perfect, particularly the T.S. Elliot association. This will stick with me. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Bodhiseed said:

This week I'll be using the Cosmic Tarot, created by Norbert Losche and published by U.S. Games. I'll also be drawing from L'Oeil de Lotus (Eye of the Lotus), created by Colette and Gérard Lougarre and published by Vox Arkhana.

These decks are so pleasing side-by-side!  Great choices!

This week I will be using the Mythic Tarot!

Thank you for the thread, VG. 💐

I'm in with the Victorian Gothic Lenormand. 

A couple of years ago, I marked these cards with their corresponding playing card symbols in permanent silver Sharpie. I removed it with Everclear and Q-Tips this afternoon. It worked. I'm happy. 

Thank you, @Madame Squee and @vulprix. I love both the Cosmic and Eye of the Lotus decks. I had heard the creators of the oracle deck had another, but I've never been able to find it. I've got a deck that I edged with a black marker that got on many of the faces of the cards. I might have to try your technique, Squee. 😄

Please excuse my ignorance @Madame Squeebut what is Everclear?

New deck means New Deck Interview time! 😊 I used the same spread as last time (who are you, how we'll work together, who am I) although this deck didn't feel like playing by the rules and insisted on an extra card in the middle position lol could be a sign of time to come 😂

ETA (again): I am totally loving all the bright colours! 

IMG_20200915_011559.jpg

Edited by TheFeeLion
Doh! Forgot to add the pic!

4 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

Hi @TheFeeLion. Everclear is grain alcohol. Apparently, it's actually illegal is 11 states, but we can buy the strong stuff in Colorado: 190 proof, 95% alcohol by volume. I use it to make a disinfectant cleaner.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/style/how-everclear-became-a-pandemic-favorite.html

I've never tasted it. Just inhaling the fumes is enough to make me sit down. However, by the time I mix in a little water, a little vinegar and lavender oil, it's not so bad. Here's the recipe I use...

https://cleanmama.com/diy-natural-disinfecting-spray/

Temperance! 

PS: I think it's important to keep all alcohol locked up around children and teens. Everclear is especially dangerous, because it's so strong and can quickly lead to alcohol poisoning. 

PPS: I used full-strength Everclear to remove the permanent Sharpie ink from my cards. 

Temperance Halloween Tarot.JPG

Edited by Madame Squee

4 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

New deck means New Deck Interview time! 😊 I used the same spread as last time (who are you, how we'll work together, who am I) although this deck didn't feel like playing by the rules and insisted on an extra card in the middle position lol could be a sign of time to come 😂

ETA (again): I am totally loving all the bright colours! 

IMG_20200915_011559.jpg

This is the first time I've heard of the Tarot of the Divine. I love the colors, too! I need to run off and watch a flip-though. (Love the Judgment card!!!)

15 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

I'm adding Murder of Crows Tarot to this week's study. 

My initial impression: it's weird, and it suits me. 

Ooh, I'm using that one next week.   It looks amazing.   Edgar Allen Poe Tarot isn't horrible, but it's not fabulous either.   No sense of creeping dread.   LOL.   

Edited by VGimlet

2 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

Re: Murder of Crows Tarot. Lo Scarabeo.

I got three 5's this morning. One thing leads to another, an object lesson. 

Murder of Crows fives.jpg

wow. remember when LoS refused to listen to us for Years and Years about big honking 6 language titles? These are So elegant. I expect the success of self publishers made them wake up. 

@Madame Squee those cards look really interesting! I like that the three cards you pulled form an arc of crows over the central figure 😁 I'd love to know how that translated throughout you day, we're you bombarded at all? Surrounded on all sides? 

7 hours ago, VGimlet said:

Ooh, I'm using that one next week.   It looks amazing.   Edgar Allen Poe Tarot isn't horrible, but it's not fabulous either.   No sense of creeping dread.   LOL.   

@VGimletWhat? No creeping dread?!! That's the best part! Well, I haven't ruled out Edgar Allen Poe yet, but my pocketbook is squeaking, so it will have to wait. Is your Murder of Crows deck the B&W edition? I think I really want the limited edition, too... But that dang pocketbook!

6 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

wow. remember when LoS refused to listen to us for Years and Years about big honking 6 language titles? These are So elegant. I expect the success of self publishers made them wake up. 

You are so right @AJ-ish/Sharyn!!! Those old 6-language titles and white borders are so jarring to look at now. I've clipped them off my favorites, like the Harmonious and Secret Tarots. Elegant fits perfectly for the Murder of Crows Tarot.

2 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

@Madame Squee those cards look really interesting! I like that the three cards you pulled form an arc of crows over the central figure 😁 I'd love to know how that translated throughout you day, we're you bombarded at all? Surrounded on all sides? 

@TheFeeLion I love Tarots that allow the cards to interact. Finding interesting combinations is one of my favorite exercises. This morning, I just shuffled, cut and drew 3 to see what would turn up. Ta-da! A mural! So, I wasn't actually reading for myself. I'm kind of glad. It looks like a dire admonition to me, like "F*ck around and find out." I think your take is much more helpful than mine.

Edited by Madame Squee

Re: Murder of Crows, Lo Scarabeo

When I first saw it, the 7 of Coins in MOC reminded me of a card in another deck, but I couldn't place it until tonight. It came to me while I was studying the shape of the growth that climbs the robes and fixes the figure in place. The design of it reminded me of the patterns used throughout the Aquarian to denote the past, future, etc. And I realized that the card I had been trying to dredge from my memory was in the Aquarian deck, and so here it is: the Five of Cups. Twins! Lol. 

MOC Aquarian comparison.jpg

Really cool autumnal vibes from the decks this week, I think 😊

I have been working with the Mythic Tarot so well. It is just beautiful and I love the guidebook as well. My little nephew also got his first view of tarot cards with the deck, and he really loved them.

Today I did a reading for myself about my relationship with certain music, and I really enjoyed where the reading went. Clear to read, yet unexpected lessons. I love that in a deck.

48F6D957-DB69-4862-BF36-5B85CE8B5AC8.jpeg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.