Amazonite turned yellowish

cookie_reader

Hello!

Sorry if this was discussed before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it.

I made the novice mistake of storing my beautiful amazonite beaded necklace and bracelet in a place where morning sunlight hit it most days this summer. I just noticed that some of the beads turned a yellowish green colour. 

Is there any way I can undo this? It's such a gorgeous necklace, but those few yellow beads really stand out. I know crystals can change colour due to absorbing negative energy, but I doubt that's the case with me.

I learned my lesson though, I moved all of my gemstones away from direct sunlight.

2 hours ago, cookie_reader said:

Hello!

Sorry if this was discussed before, I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it.

I made the novice mistake of storing my beautiful amazonite beaded necklace and bracelet in a place where morning sunlight hit it most days this summer. I just noticed that some of the beads turned a yellowish green colour. 

Is there any way I can undo this? It's such a gorgeous necklace, but those few yellow beads really stand out. I know crystals can change colour due to absorbing negative energy, but I doubt that's the case with me.

I learned my lesson though, I moved all of my gemstones away from direct sunlight.

Sorry to hear about your necklace, cookie 😞 There is not a way to change the color back of which I am aware. Many stones can be dyed or painted with nail polish for desired effect, but these are pretty abrasive processes.  There are many stones that change color due to sunlight or other exposure—just a matter of the color fading, a chemical change.  I don’t see why negative energy would be at play here.

Stones like opal can actually crack if exposed to high temperatures, and amber has the capacity to melt in high temperatures. Some stones be finicky like that.

For what it’s worth, your necklace is probably still beautiful, and yellow is a fine color 🙂 I hope you can continue to wear and use it!

I agree that if it's from sunlight, it's not something that can be cleaned away. I don't know amazonite well, but it probably got too dry. Some stones need a little ambient moisture, that's why you sometimes see a glass of water in a display case of jade. Or it could be from heat or continued exposure strong light itself.

If not too many beads are discolored, you might consider getting them restrung without the yellow ones. You'd have to get that done eventually anyway - I never met a string that didn't wear out!

1 hour ago, vulprix said:

Sorry to hear about your necklace, cookie 😞 There is not a way to change the color back of which I am aware. Many stones can be dyed or painted with nail polish for desired effect, but these are pretty abrasive processes.  There are many stones that change color due to sunlight or other exposure—just a matter of the color fading, a chemical change.  I don’t see why negative energy would be at play here.

Stones like opal can actually crack if exposed to high temperatures, and amber has the capacity to melt in high temperatures. Some stones be finicky like that.

For what it’s worth, your necklace is probably still beautiful, and yellow is a fine color 🙂 I hope you can continue to wear and use it!

I had the feeling it's irreversible, but I had to try anyway. I'd rather have it yellow than coating it with nail polish. I think I'll re-bead it, distribute the yellow beads so they're not clumped together on one side only.

Thanks for the little background info on the gems. I've been loving and wearing gemstone jewellery for over a decade and never had anything like this happen 😞 

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

I agree that if it's from sunlight, it's not something that can be cleaned away. I don't know amazonite well, but it probably got too dry. Some stones need a little ambient moisture, that's why you sometimes see a glass of water in a display case of jade. Or it could be from heat or continued exposure strong light itself.

If not too many beads are discolored, you might consider getting them restrung without the yellow ones. You'd have to get that done eventually anyway - I never met a string that didn't wear out!

I'll keep that in mind about moisture in the future. Restringing is a good idea, I I'll do that. There's too many beads affected to take them all out, but I'll distribute them evenly so when I wear it, one side won't be noticeably more yellow than the other. 🙂