Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 171 : October 17 - October 23

44 minutes ago, Madame Squee said:

Gregory Scott Tarot - A Tarot of Positive Clarity, 2020 Copyright Lo Scarabeo.

This tarot deck did not succeed with me.

GST XI and 4s.jpg

GST Qs and VIII Strength.jpg

GST KnS and Ps.jpg

The artwork is FANTASTIC!! Thank you for sharing! I am intrigued, but jeez... I really have too many decks, haha 😄

Lo Scarabeo decks in general can tend to skew “Is this actually traditional tarot?”, don’t they? More than the other major publishers, I feel. It’s wonderful in a way! But sometimes, it can create confusion. I do have this experience.

I am using the Paulina Tarot this week—like, barely. Been kind of lethargic about everything. I am not sure how CLEAR my readings have been with it, but I find it a lot of fun to peer into the murky swirls of the deck and find obscure common motifs through the other cards.

6C32CFE4-7AED-4A70-8529-CF9B8A25D31A.jpeg

4 hours ago, vague-whisperings said:

what made the cards strange? :0 it seems like a deck that's more on the hard fantasy end of things- kinda grisly and morbid which is smthin im into personally (not that its for everyone. some people just arent about that)

Thank you for the question @vague-whisperings.

I find the deck strange, because many of the cards feel quite negative to me -- especially for a deck that is branded as "A Tarot of Positive Clarity". Some cards even seem like a depiction of their reverse meanings. 

I'm glad that I haven't dampened everyone's enthusiasm for it, because who knows, I may love it next year.

PS: I'm sure all the images are up on youtube by now, but here's a couple more that rubbed me the wrong way... 

GST 2s and Pp.jpg

Edited by Madame Squee
vague-whisperings
5 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Graphic novels, and I can't think of the name, but the Asian style cartoon art, and back to the smooth characterless images.

It leans more towards western comic book than anime :0 it kinda reminds me of Saga's art, with the same sort of semi-realism, but it has more of a painterly style to it. And ty! Good luck on your own study ❤️

vague-whisperings
48 minutes ago, Madame Squee said:

I find the deck strange, because many of the cards feel quite negative to me -- especially for a deck that is branded as "A Tarot of Positive Clarity". Some cards even seem like a depiction of their reverse meanings. 

Oh, I can see that! They all do seem to have a morbid tinge to them, unfortunately. It is a pretty and intruding deck :0 I hope you manage to make it work for you!

2 hours ago, vague-whisperings said:

Oh, I can see that! They all do seem to have a morbid tinge to them, unfortunately. It is a pretty and intruding deck :0 I hope you manage to make it work for you!

Thank you, @vague-whisperings I definitely will try it again. I do like the artwork and especially the colors. But I'm really going to think about getting my scissors out and turning it into an oracle. 🎃👻🦇

3 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

Thank you for the question @vague-whisperings.

I'm glad that I haven't dampened everyone's enthusiasm for it, because who knows, I may love it next year.

PS: I'm sure all the images are up on youtube by now, but here's a couple more that rubbed me the wrong way... 

GST 2s and Pp.jpg

Definitely not for me. And I LIKE decks that lean a little dark, too many these days try hard to be peace, love and Bobby Sherman, lol.
But these have f*** all to do with the card meanings. The 2S isn't negative per se - she's about to be rescued, it appears - but this Errol Flynn-style rescue stuff fits neither the RWS stalemate nor the Thoth idea of peace. I read the TdM 2S as conflict, and that doesn't fit here, either. 

The boy stealing bread doesn't fit the Page, either. Maybe the 5P, but not the Page. I do like the way the artist rendered the light in the background. It looks like morning light, which somehow looks different from evening light. He's very accomplished to be able to capture that. But it's not my style, Tarots that look like graphic novels never appealed to me.

So yeah. Not even tempted.

8 hours ago, vulprix said:

The artwork is FANTASTIC!! Thank you for sharing! I am intrigued, but jeez... I really have too many decks, haha 😄

Lo Scarabeo decks in general can tend to skew “Is this actually traditional tarot?”, don’t they? More than the other major publishers, I feel. It’s wonderful in a way! But sometimes, it can create confusion. I do have this experience.

Yes! I like the artwork, too. And yes, Lo Scarabeo does tend to skew! I always try to approach them with an open mind. 🎃

8 hours ago, vulprix said:

I am using the Paulina Tarot this week—like, barely. Been kind of lethargic about everything. I am not sure how CLEAR my readings have been with it, but I find it a lot of fun to peer into the murky swirls of the deck and find obscure common motifs through the other cards.

That sounds great! Looking for common motifs is one of my favorite activities -- that and watching for interesting interactions between cards. Some weeks, that's all I do. It's very relaxing. When I read, I feel pressured (by myself) to be right. :78496:

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

Definitely not for me. And I LIKE decks that lean a little dark, too many these days try hard to be peace, love and Bobby Sherman, lol.
But these have f*** all to do with the card meanings. The 2S isn't negative per se - she's about to be rescued, it appears - but this Errol Flynn-style rescue stuff fits neither the RWS stalemate nor the Thoth idea of peace. I read the TdM 2S as conflict, and that doesn't fit here, either. 

The boy stealing bread doesn't fit the Page, either. Maybe the 5P, but not the Page. I do like the way the artist rendered the light in the background. It looks like morning light, which somehow looks different from evening light. He's very accomplished to be able to capture that. But it's not my style, Tarots that look like graphic novels never appealed to me.

So yeah. Not even tempted.

You're exactly right about the 2 of Swords. No matter how hard I try, the image just doesn't fit the meaning of that card from any perspective. It is not necessarily negative, just bizarre. 

I agree, there is a lot of beauty and competence in the artwork. I love that Page of Swords (posted earlier) even though I think he'd be better as Temperance. (The actual Temperance image completely baffles me.)

However, in addition to the negative cards, too many others depart from what I believe to be actual Tarot meanings.

So, I just can't enjoy it as it is, but I think it might work as an oracle. ✂️

Edited by Madame Squee