Deck of The Weeek: Sign-up Thread: Week 172 : October 24 - October 30

VGimlet

This thread is for those who would like to work through their collection of decks.  Each week we will be picking a deck (or decks) to work with for the week.

All are welcome. Please join us!      The only rules we have are the Tarot Tea & Me rules; be respectful to each other.    

You can drop in and out,  time and real life permitting.   New to tarot?  Long time reader?   Come on in.  

1. Please post with your chosen deck for the week.

2. Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it etc., or NOT - it's all up to you.  

Participants:

1.  VGimlet - Movie Tarot

2. Amberjune - Field Tarot and the Angels and Ancestors Oracle deck

3. Madame Squee - Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium

4. AJ-ish/Sharyn - Madam Lydia Wilhelmina's Tarot

5. vulprix - Tarot Nova

6. Bodhiseed - Touchstone Tarot paired with the John Waterhouse Oracle

7. Mi-shell - Ghosts and Spirits Tarot

8. Gardener - Wild Unknown Archetype cards

(481)

Edited by VGimlet

In with the Movie Tarot this week.   I don't know anything about it, except I got it for my pop-culture subgenre collection.   No idea if it will be readable or not. 

Thank you for the thread, VG! 🎃🦇👻 Is this a vacation week?!!

I'm in with Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium. 

I'm using it in conjunction with Tarot on Earth by Tom Benjamin, a workbook for Marseille-type Tarot decks. Just got it and am excited to dive in!

I’m in with the Tarot Nova, illustrated by Julie Paschkis!! Very excited to work with this deck for a week, it’s an amazing reader for me!

Hallo fellow readers! VG, thank you the new thread. @Madame SqueeI look forward to hearing about the Marseille workbook.

I'm in with the Touchstone Tarot paired with the John Waterhouse Oracle.

16 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

Thank you for the thread, VG! 🎃🦇👻 Is this a vacation week?!!

I'm in with Tarot de Marseille Edition Millennium. 

I'm using it in conjunction with Tarot on Earth by Tom Benjamin, a workbook for Marseille-type Tarot decks. Just got it and am excited to dive in!

Yes, vacation week 1, day 2 - FINALLY.   My head was definitely not at work the last few days, and they ended up sending me home my last in-library day because I ate a questionable sandwich the day before and wasn't feeling well.  I was like, "IT was the sandwich, not Covid, and I have a ton of stuff to do before I'm gone"  and they were like, "Sorry, you can't stay".  

Who knew there was a TDM workbook, that sounds very cool!    The Marseilles almost broke me when I studied the big three. so yes, let us know how it goes!    

This week I'll be using the Touchstone Tarot, created and self-published by Kat Black. Along with it I'll be using the John Waterhouse Oracle, created and self-published by Elaine Wilkinson (aka Seven Stars). Today's draws are the Knight of Wands and Hylas and the Nymphs:

Knight%2Bwands.jpgHylus_0002.jpg

High risk is high adrenaline. ~Jason Statham

Black uses a painting of poet and playwright Christopher 'Kit' Marlowe to illustrate her Knight of Wands. Marlowe's life was as extreme and daring as some of the dramas he wrote; his mysterious death was said to be an assassination ordered by Queen Elizabeth for spreading his atheistic views. Following this Knight, who lives impulsively and chases thrills, can literally leave a person on a cliff's crumbling edge. The Waterhouse painting shows Hylas, companion of Hercules and part of the Argonauts, sent to find fresh water. He came upon a pond full of nymphs who enticed him in the water, and he was never seen again. Both these cards suggest a close look at what drives behavior is in order. There's nothing wrong with loving adventure, but the life of an adrenaline junkie tends to become more reckless and dangerous each passing day. And as the tale of Hylas shows, being influenced by such folks tends to put us in precarious and perilous situations.

Blind party loyalty will be our downfall. We must follow the truth wherever it leads.
― DaShanne Stokes

Hello DOTWers,

I was so happy reading the thread last week.  I never got around to posting, but the conversation was so much fun, thank you all for your tarot thoughts!

I am supposed to be finishing up a month with the Tarot of Sweet Twilight, and the sad truth is that the poor little babies never even made it out of the box.  I've been spending a lot of time, still with the Wild Unknown Archetype cards, so I'm in this week with one more week of these guys.  I'm getting to know them, slowly, one card at a time.  Perhaps there is no other way...

Meanwhile, I have a question for you wise souls.  I have a friend new to the tarot, and she of course thinks I have All The Answers to all things tarot, but of course I do not.  She has picked up a copy of the Medieval Scapini and fallen in love.  How could you not?  And she asked me - is it RWS or Thoth?  And I THINK my answer is that it's TdM on crack, but I'd love some other opinions.  

@Gardener, I just found a review on the retired Aeclectic forum by Tom LeBlanc, and he mentions this:

It is interesting to note that Scapini admits that, while painting the images for this deck, he had no knowledge of the "standard" interpretations of the individual cards. As such, a person who reads within a given system (such as the Rider-Waite-Smith), he or she is likely to have some initial difficulty in maintaining those interpretations with the symbols of this deck.

This is one of our Halloween spreads from the reading circle:

--------7--------

----5-------6-----

3---------------4

1-------8-------2

1 - The Skeletons in the Closet - The secrets you keep from others.

2 - The Rats in the Basement - The secrets you keep from yourself.

3 - The Black Cat in the Parlour - What makes your claws come out?

4 - The Jack O Lantern in the Kitchen - What, or who, would you like to carve up with a knife?

5 - The Ghost in the Bedroom - What, or who, haunts your mind and thoughts?

6 - The Spider in the Bathroom - What totally creeps you out.

7 - The Bats in the Attic - What drives you to the brink of madness.

8 - The Front Door - The way out of all this insanity ......... or maybe, the way in.

............................................................................................................................................................................................

My reading with the Ghosts and Spirits Tarot is in that thread.

Now however I would like to leave the used cards out until Halloween - 

Soooo am I now drawing from an incomplete deck - or will I choose another deck???

Think think thing spoke the headless rider.....

@Gardener!

Interesting, that she took to the Medieval Scapini Tarot.

This one has quite a few funky turns in its card depictions. But I am not sure, if a person new to Tarot would be able to pick up on these...

Also quality wise, there are quite a few versions about. I hope she got a good one with clear imagery ♥

Mine is sadly blurrrry and I never managed to acquire a clearer copy.

3 hours ago, Mi-Shell said:

This is one of our Halloween spreads from the reading circle:

--------7--------

----5-------6-----

3---------------4

1-------8-------2

1 - The Skeletons in the Closet - The secrets you keep from others.

2 - The Rats in the Basement - The secrets you keep from yourself.

3 - The Black Cat in the Parlour - What makes your claws come out?

4 - The Jack O Lantern in the Kitchen - What, or who, would you like to carve up with a knife?

5 - The Ghost in the Bedroom - What, or who, haunts your mind and thoughts?

6 - The Spider in the Bathroom - What totally creeps you out.

7 - The Bats in the Attic - What drives you to the brink of madness.

8 - The Front Door - The way out of all this insanity ......... or maybe, the way in.

............................................................................................................................................................................................

My reading with the Ghosts and Spirits Tarot is in that thread.

I love this spread!! I gave it a try with the Tarot Nova today! (Sorry about the light quality!)

I vote that another deck should join the fray. I honestly would have no qualms drawing from an incomplete deck, but there is something that feels good about starting fresh 😄 

A9A4D4EF-62DF-4ACD-AFEA-93318842FEB3.jpeg

AJ-ish/Sharyn

tara nova is such a sweet deck, it was one of my first. 

I chose the Haunted House for my spread too, but I photographed it and have it on my laptop. 

I don't draw from an incomplete deck. 

I have fond memories of the Medieval Scapini deck, but I would say it's more TdM than anything.   But you know, a beginner can learn with anything, IMO.  

Sorry I didn't add you until now Gardner, I've been vacating, and not online in forums or social media much.   For REASONS.  LOL.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.