78 Week Study - Zoom Call and Check In

Gardener

Hello my friends,

Here we are, finally reaching week 10, and I see that activity is slowing down.  Are we getting into the holiday crazy feeling already?  Or just overwhelmed by the size of this study?  The good news is, we have all the time in the world.  We can have a conversation about what's working or not working for people, and adjust the schedule.

We have a zoom call coming up next Saturday afternoon, east coast US time.  That was the last day of Week 10, and the best day to get the most people.  Don't feel any pressure to join, if you are not the zoom call type.  But for those who are, I'm looking forward to meeting you.  And any pets!  I will bring my cat.

Please chime in to let us know how your study is going - good, bad or indifferent.  Are you loving it?  Hating it?  Loving and hating it?  I tend to feel guilty when I post late, but I'm always happy after I post.  I feel good about spending time with each card.  I'm not so much a card-a-week person as I am two-cards-every-two-weeks.  It's working for me. 

Is your study surprising you?  I find that I'm not as much in love with the Margarete Petersen as I used to be.  But that may change when we get to the feathers (swords) which are so beautiful in this deck.  And I'm gaining new appreciation for the Ironwing.  I've only read with it a few times, but I think after this study I would be more comfortable reading with it going forward.

My favorite part of the study is Grace's comments on our cards, drawing us into conversation.

I wonder how people might feel about committing to write shorter pieces on their own card, but try to comment on at least two other cards?  That would change the nature of the study.  We'd be less about each making our own book, and more about learning many decks.  Obviously, people who are loving the long entry on each card should DEFINITELY keep going with that.  But for me, I might allow myself a shorter reflection on my own cards and spend more time commenting on other people's studies.  Just one possibility to keep the energy of the study going for the many months ahead....

Thanks @Gardener! For me, the study has been very fulfilling so far. I have had trouble keeping up once or twice, as life has a rude way of interrupting us all sometimes. It does appear to be a little more difficult to get back on track once fallen behind than anticipated - completely doable, but not without effort. Would love to hear how others are finding it.

I think I'll stick with my one deck strategy for now, just as it works well with the qabalah study I'm doing at the same time. I'm also enjoying doing the deep dives, it's fascinating what you can uncover in one card. That being said, I don't think I will be as rigid with myself about posting a completely finished study every week. I would rather post SOMETHING, and feel good about the sections I could finish than post nothing and go through the panic and 'extra work' that comes with falling behind. Posting on the earlier side has definitely saved by hide in this study, but it wont always be possible. So I will learn to be OK with a shorter form if I have to. I can always go back at a later date anyway. 

Adjusting the schedule is a good suggestion. We could always 'pause' the schedule for a time depending on how everyone is feeling, allow some breathing space of a week or two before restarting it again. Perhaps we need more 'catch up' weeks at closer intervals? 

I'm very much looking forward to the Zoom meeting! I've been hanging for it every since we started the study. 🤣 Maybe the carrot is too far away. If it goes well, maybe more scheduled Zooms might be the impetus we need. 

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

Here we are, finally reaching week 10, and I see that activity is slowing down.  Are we getting into the holiday crazy feeling already?  Or just overwhelmed by the size of this study?  The good news is, we have all the time in the world.  We can have a conversation about what's working or not working for people, and adjust the schedule.

It's all working fine for me. I'm a little behind schedule because I'm somewhat keyed up over the election - I'm not really in that headspace where I feel like cross referencing  things and writing about it. But that will change very soon. 😉

We have a zoom call coming up next Saturday afternoon, east coast US time.  That was the last day of Week 10, and the best day to get the most people.  Don't feel any pressure to join, if you are not the zoom call type.  But for those who are, I'm looking forward to meeting you.  And any pets!  I will bring my cat.

And I will have my two Shelties attending. Well, one if the barky one acts up, he'll have to go outside for some fresh air and sunshine, lol.
Looking forward to it!

I wonder how people might feel about committing to write shorter pieces on their own card, but try to comment on at least two other cards?  That would change the nature of the study.  We'd be less about each making our own book, and more about learning many decks.  Obviously, people who are loving the long entry on each card should DEFINITELY keep going with that.  But for me, I might allow myself a shorter reflection on my own cards and spend more time commenting on other people's studies.  Just one possibility to keep the energy of the study going for the many months ahead....

My own pieces are not long. But I do need to make time to comment more on the others. 
But as for learning all those decks, a lot of them are not something I would use. Not bad decks, mind you, just not me. And I'm already spread thinly between several Tarot systems as well as various fortunetelling cards. And now the whole Picard/Thomson Leng system. So there's really no point in loading more on my plate.

I fell way behind! It's a time thing - I've started a part time degree with the open uni next to a full time job. I was very optimistic thinking that I'd be doing a lot of work in the evenings during the week buuuut that is more difficult than I thought lol noooo! I end up doing most of my work on the weekend 😞 Aditionally with stricter rules the other half is in the house all the time as he is not watching the football with his friends anymore, so I have even less time to myself! I really do enjoy the 78-weeks study!

18 hours ago, Gardener said:

I wonder how people might feel about committing to write shorter pieces on their own card, but try to comment on at least two other cards?

I think that would be a great idea. I don't think that it is really necessary for me to e.g. write up a detailed description of the card, instead I could just focus just on a story. Commenting on other cards might be easier for me as it doesn't take as much time, I can do it when I have a few free minutes at work. 

Edited by Rupicapra

Hello Tarot Friends,

I have sent a Zoom invite by PM to the people participating in the 78 week study.  Please let me know if you didn't get your invitation - the more the merrier.  We are scheduled for Saturday 4pm US East Coast time, which should be Sunday morning Down Under. I hope this time will work for all!  Looking forward to putting faces to names, and showing off our deck collections, and generally geeking out over Tarot.  This will also give me incentive to get caught up on the study.  We can talk about whether we want to build in some more catch-up weeks, especially with the holidays approaching.

Cheers,

Gardener