Decks made from pre-existing artwork

LogicalHue

Anyone else interested in compiling a list of decks made by taking an artist's existing body of work and assigning them to cards? Regardless of how you feel about this type of deck, I still think its a good thing to know about a deck that you own or are considering, and its not always immediately obvious.

The List so far:

Nicoletta Ceccoli

Manara

Edmund Dulac

Banksy

John Bauer

WPA     (Kickstarter; various art deco posters)

Rackham

The Hieronymus Bosch     (Kickstarter, some editing to isolate elements or for restoration purposes)

VTP     (Kickstarter; various vintage posters)

Fantastic Menagerie     (J.J. Grandville, some edited so not 100% purely taken and slapped into cards)

Harmonious     (Walter Crane & Earnest Fitzpatrick)

Da Vinci Enigma

Ship of Fools     (Sebastian Brant)

Tarot of the Thousand and One Nights     (Léon Carré)

The Beautiful Rebellion     (various from late 1800's early 1900's)

Partially Pre-existing:

Haindl     (just the minors)

Ferenc Pinter     (Majors were created as tarot and the minors were filled in from pre-existing work)

Ones I'm not sure of:

Hush     (I'm sure much of the artwork was made specifically for the tarot deck, but I don't know if all of it was)

Inspired by / in the style of, but not directly taken from:

Michelangelo

Bosch

Durer

Dante

Let me know if you know of something!

Edited by LogicalHue

I don't think the Bosch qualifies either. It was done by a contemporary artist trying to paint like Bosch:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bosch/

Is this the deck you saw on kickstarter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468389582/tarot-card-deck-based-on-vintage-american-theater-posters/posts/2981291?ref=project_update_registered_users_tout_1

There's the Fantastic Menagerie, of course. That one stands out.

And about a bazillion collage decks, too numerous to count.

And all those recolored/reworked RWS decks...

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Haindl, the minors are taken from parts of his existing artworks. 

Harmonious, from Walter Crane and Earnest Fitzpatrick

some of the erotics, don't have any so can't think of decks but someone will. 

Da Vinci Enigma Tarot

Ship of Fools, taken directly from the Art of Sebastian Brant's Narrenschiff

Michelangelo Tarot 

Salvador Dali Tarot

edited to add: it is a fun subject! You'll have to do your homework, as I'm sure a lot of 'in the style of' decks will be pitched up on this shore. 

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

Funny I thought those were in reverse - Fantastic Menagerie was "in the style of" and Bosch was actual Bosch work. I'll update! 

7 hours ago, katrinka said:

Not sure which one you were referring to - that post had a link to the WPA deck, that's the one I was thinking of. I'll add them both.

Edited by LogicalHue

13 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

You'll have to do your homework, as I'm sure a lot of 'in the style of' decks will be pitched up on this shore. 

Yeah, I'm thinking to start I'll mostly take people's word for it. (I'm kind of thinking if something's wrong someone else will notice 😉)

Manara is an erotic one. So far I haven't seen any others that aren't original work, but I actually only know of a couple. Manara was kind of the final push for me to want to make this list. I've had it for, I dunno, over 10 years, and I never knew it was art taken from graphic novels until a couple of days ago.

Harmonious is definitely one of those ones, just from looking at it I'd have no idea!

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Lo Scarabeo credits the original artist when it isn't something mooshed up 'in the style of' by their own in-house artists. So looking through my 5 page list of their decks Durer isn't credited, nor is Bruegel, nor is the Leonardo Di Vinci, Bauer is credited. 

the subcatagory of art by the artist would include about everything 🙂 Nicoletta Ceccoli would be in this category in my mind simply because she has pushed out so many decks and I'm not familiar with her body of work.  

tarot built from the artists pre-existing art is the fun part of this exercise.  

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

The Golden Tarot deck by Kat Black is another deck featuring artwork from the Renaissance period.  Quite a lovely deck!  Also, she lists in the back of the accompanying book, the names of the paintings that she used for all the cards in her tarot deck.  Very well done all around.  One of my favorite decks! 🙂

1 hour ago, LogicalHue said:

Funny I thought those were in reverse - Fantastic Menagerie was "in the style of" and Bosch was actual Bosch work. I'll update! 

Thanks. 🙂
Yes, the Fantastic Menagerie is authentic J.J. Grandville. That fine line etching is pure 19th century, nobody does that anymore. Some of the images were collaged together to create something that fit the cards' meanings, but they don't look like collage at all. It's perfectly seamless.

There's a lovely William Blake Tarot. Definitely Blake's art. 

The Bohemian Gothic has some pre-existing artwork, too, but there's also photographs, like the imagery from the Bone Chapel. But the Victorian Romantic is all pre-existing art. Not famous art like Bosch, Dali, or Blake, but good nonetheless.

55 minutes ago, Luna said:

The Golden Tarot deck by Kat Black is another deck featuring artwork from the Renaissance period.

I googled this and so far I'm seeing The Golden Tarot, The Golden Tarot of the Rennaisance, The Golden Tarot Klimt, The Golden Tarot of the Tsar. Plus possibly other decks named Golden Tarot that are just RWS redraws.

Is the Golden Tarot by Kat Black collages? I see a 9 of swords that's exactly the RWS 9 of swords in a different style.

@AJ-ish/Sharyn Ha! I looked into the Salvador Dali Tarot and it turns out Salvador Dali just made a tarot deck, originally started as a commission. Its actually quite a stand out as an uber-famous-artist created tarot deck.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

you've learned stuff already. I've heard many people say they have the Dali deck, I've never heard anyone say they enjoyed reading with it, or even understood it. 

AJ-ish/Sharyn
On 11/11/2020 at 8:04 AM, LogicalHue said:

Is the Golden Tarot by Kat Black collages? I see a 9 of

swords that's exactly the RWS 9 of swords in a different style.

yes. 

On 11/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, LogicalHue said:

@AJ-ish/Sharyn Ha! I looked into the Salvador Dali Tarot and it turns out Salvador Dali just made a tarot deck, originally started as a commission. Its actually quite a stand out as an uber-famous-artist created tarot deck.

ER: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieqj7xuc4mlmxq6/Dali article - Copy.pdf?dl=0

We will never know how much input he actually had.

Edited by gregory

Does anyone know what category Japaridze Tarot falls under? U.S. games describes it like she created the image for the deck, but I can't tell if that's really the case.

5 hours ago, gregory said:

Some of the cards are on this websites:

Ah I saw the images but I didn't find that to be super informative. I didn't before see the CV, I think the fact that there's a specific Tarot Exhibition leans in favor of her creating the artwork as tarot cards.

On 11/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, LogicalHue said:

Banksy

Really? 🤣

On 11/14/2020 at 1:54 AM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

you've learned stuff already. I've heard many people say they have the Dali deck, I've never heard anyone say they enjoyed reading with it, or even understood it. 

Oh Damn. That was on my wish list. Not that I was planning on buying it tomorrow, but interesting input!

AJ-ish/Sharyn

IF you are a fan of an artist's art, all those decks are probably worth working with. For me, no art training or education, they don't mean much other than a familiar name. They'd be more like adding olives to ice cream. Just because I like them doesn't mean they'd make a tarot that means something to me. Some things are better apart. Or used as oracles. 

On 11/11/2020 at 1:39 AM, katrinka said:

I don't think the Bosch qualifies either. It was done by a contemporary artist trying to paint like Bosch:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bosch/

Turns out there's another one! The "Bosch Tarot" is in the style of; but there was a Kickstarter deck "The Hieronymus Bosch Tarot" taken directly from Bosch paintings, though some are edited slightly for isolation of certain elements for the card. They decided to do something different with the suits to fit in with items from Bosch paintings so for the minors it may go into Oracle territory.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

reminded by BenBell Wen's blog post, LoS Thousand and One Nights Tarot,  an art deck featuring the works of the late 19th and early 20th century French painter Léon Georges Jean-Baptiste Carré. I've loved using this deck for one card pulls, so much to draw from the individual imagery. Didn't care much for it for spreads, overload 🙂 

fire cat pickles

The Fox's Wedding Tarot:

I know it says it's not funded but Patrick is still working on it and is planning another campaign. 

Edited by fire cat pickles

Was looking for new decks coming out and came across a couple of additions. I'm intrigued by what I've seen of the Ferenc Pinter (not an artist I was familiar with) but would have to see more.