Fallen Angel Tarot

sixdegrees

(I hope that it is okay to promote my partner's work rather than my own here.)

I wanted to let everyone know that the Fallen Angel Tarot is now available at Make Playing Cards (https://www.makeplayingcards.com/sell/danjoy-arts). There are two editions available. The first edition features all of the variability of hand drawn art, while the second edition has been edited for uniformity in terms of font and brightness across each card (as well as some fun changes to the details). The first edition is a limited print run and will be taken down after 100 copies sell, while the second edition will be available indefinitely. In the future there will be editions available without the corner inserts, as well as a monochromatic version of the deck.

I've included sample art of the Six of Wands, King of Cups, and The World to give you a sense of the overall aesthetic of the deck, as well as differences between the two editions. I'm happy to answer any additional questions about the deck!

Six Wands.jpg

King Cups.jpg

World.jpg

We have now uploaded a quick flip through video on YouTube, for those interesting in seeing images from the entire second edition. You can view it here.

I just bought the 2nd edition (I teetered and decided the standardised font may as well be the deciding factor !) VERY nice.

It would be nice if there were some kind of info on thought processes etc. Can you prod for something ? :classic_wink:

Thanks for ordering it, gregory! I've seen your posts since my days at AT, and if I remember correctly, you have a very vast collection of decks. I'm glad to hear that the Fallen Angel Tarot will be joining their ranks! I'm happy to pass on any specific questions to my partner, but here are a few things that I can tell you about the deck now:

- The deck started out as a gift just for me, but as he neared completion I encouraged him to upload the designs to MPC so that others in the tarot community might also enjoy it. He then took the initiative to offer it in various formats. Though he personally wanted to include card corners in the design because they harken back to playing cards, he now offers a version without these corners because he understands that some people might prefer larger images. There is also now a reversible back option for those who use reversals (I don't, so the earliest versions of the back were not reversible). At some point he will release the monochromatic version.

- The title of the deck comes from a motif that is personally significant to him--a person caught between grace and damnation. The card back, depicting a "fallen angel" or an angel bound to the earth, was the first piece of art that he completed for the deck.

- The art was created through a mixture of Prismacolor colored pencils and Procreate on iPad. It took about two years to complete the art (he took some breaks). Each major has a unique nameplate, whereas the minor nameplates are uniform but reflect a season related to each minor.

- There is a recurring image on many of the majors, an orb that contains the four suit symbols. This was something that naturally evolved as the project developed; it signifies the culmination of the suits' power as manifest in the card.

- Very early on he decided that he wanted to have figures with blank faces so that everyone could find themselves in the images. Personally, this reminds of the neutral facial expressions on the Aquarian Tarot (I feel like I read somewhere that David Palladini had a similar goal of identification, but that could be someone's later interpretation). He also wanted to make sure to include diverse human representation in terms of race, gender, and ability in the images.

I do have a slightly excessive collection, yes. Thanks for that. (Sacred Rose has blank faces; I don't THINK Palladini ever did any actually blank ones I must look that up; there is review mentioning how ethereal his faces are...)

By the way - you might mention to him that it is smart to have a card with the deck title and the artist's name on....! This is the second self-published deck I have acquired recently with no indication at all - which could have been tough on my executors if I didn't have such a thorough database !

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that Palladini went with totally blank faces--just that he intended for the facial expressions in the Aquarian to be fairly neutral so that people could see a wide variety of meanings in them (and that my partner had similar goals in the Fallen Angel Tarot).

I passed along your suggestion about including a title card, but he said that MPC does not allow the option to include more than 78 cards in a deck. (Now that I think about it, I've ordered a number of decks from them this year, but I've never had one with a title card.) The closest thing we could do is design a custom box to include with the deck, though that raises the price considerably. Maybe we can provide the company with this feedback!

Oh, I didn't know that was a possibility until I read your post, gregory! I have mentioned it to my partner; we'll see if he decides to make any changes...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.