Judgment - Coming back to life or it's ended, done, and gone?

Yalda

Hi all!

Hope this is in the right section!

I wonder about the Judgment card. I have read so many confusing and different meanings of this card and it's so hard to understand what it tries to say.

I know it could mean that something has already come to an end, it's done, no way it can be revived and there is a lesson to be learned from it. 

But I have also had this card in three card spreads that I did multiple times for a specific question (I know .. one question done multiple times is not probably a good idea). I tried to ask for clarifiers and got ace of wands on one occasion and ace of pentacles on another.   

So I guess the question is that when this card would indicate something that is ended is coming back to life?

And when would it mean that it's just done and ended forever?

Edited by Yaldi

Sometimes it helps to remember, that the Tarot rose out of a christian society and archetypal depictions in the mayors are based in that.

For people that do not follow christianity, these concepts often are foreign and at times need translation.

In my early 20ties I often struggled with them. ?? what is the difference between Justice and Judgement, when my own culture told me not to judge others, because I do not walk the Earth in their shoes and because Judgement and Karma is not for me to pass out, but for the Spirits.

Traditionally this card depicts “The Last Judgement”. Angle Gabriel, trumpets, people coming out of coffins and all..... pointing to the mystical teachings, that death leads to re-birth.

So yes, things can come back from the dead...

... and when reversed, may bite you in the .... you know where....

But also, in the very end, you – or a situation will get Judged by a higher power and Justice will prevail, - - which led me to the Justice card and ask more questions.... until I wrapped my head around, how christian educated people think and where their morals are and ultimately, where the differences to my own culture and ultimately the diverse cultures of my sitters are.

These fundamental Tarot concepts are are the reason, that send me looking to/ into different decks with different imagery and differently nuanced interpretations for quite a few cards. Not just for myself, but mainly for the people that I do read for and that are of a different culture and have not studied these Western concepts to the extend I have.

Judgement in a day to day sense is also, what keeps you safe. like: Is it safe to go to a private basement party in the midst of a C-19 outbreak – not in the sense of the last Judgement, but in the sense of action and ultimate consequences. Is Judgement in this sense a good card to get, as often it points towards good things to come and health, vigor and renewal of your joy in life.....

But remember, the card may show you a coffin or 2.....So you better beware of the grave of ignorance, which is wide open.....

Also it is often seen as “The call” (because of the trumpet) callto action or the calling!

Always, there is a decision to be made.

For some the Judgement card points out cyclical processes = what comes around , goes around.....

Nothing ever ends forever.

Blessings and renewal to you!♥

I struggle with this card too. I tend to land on the aforementioned "call to action" but then I try to put that together with the word "judgement" and that makes me feel less secure about that idea.

I get judgement a lot. Since I started keeping track last year, its the card I've pulled for myself the most. So this week I was going to go through the most pulled cards and really take a harder look at them, Judgement in particular, so topic is certainly of interest to me right now.

Its a card I have some of the most trouble contextualizing in real life situations. Looking at the very Christian idea and imagery with the angel and people rising from their graves, I just don't get how to apply that to pretty much anything. Which is why I tend to go for "call to action" because at least that's saying something that I can understand.

"Call to action" also separates it from the Death card more cleanly for me. I think of the Death card as something significant has ended and its a created a big time of change and also cleared some things away creating the possibility for new things. Rebirth and renewal are a little too close to that concept for me. Typing this though, and trying to compare the two, with Death - one thing ends and something else could take its place and begin; with Judgement - something dead is now coming back to life. But that's resurrection, which I also have a hard time - not being into biblical terminology - reconciling with the word "judgement". Maybe its for you to decide, its your judgement, wether or not something deserves another chance? Anyway this is all just me musing at this point, but like I said, I was due to give this card some serious thought. :78496:

Edited by LogicalHue

2 minutes ago, LogicalHue said:

"Call to action"

1 hour ago, Mi-Shell said:

Always, there is a decision to be made.

But how do you even know if this decision is made by you or the other person involved in the reading (that you are asking the question about). 

I think I can distinguish Judgment card from death (I hope) I feel like this is just beyond death. The change has already happened, if it's referring to anything that has ended. 

But just like LogicHue said, it's hard to apply it into a reading. 

1 hour ago, Mi-Shell said:

So yes, things can come back from the dead...

So I guess in a situation like this when the clarifier is a one, this could mean a new beginning? And if there are more negative cards around it then this could mean otherwise?

I guess the confusion is that death to me is the definite end of a matter. The judgment however, can be what has ended coming back to life, getting it back, in a different shape or form perhaps. It can also mean that the matter has ended, it's time to reflect, just like you said also being aware that your actions will be judged by a higher power, and to move on with the lessons you have learned. 

But distinguishing these two from each other are difficult. 

There has been an occasion that the card before judgment was clarified by 8 of cups. And the judgment itself was clarified with ace of wands. This is where it gets confusing. 

Maybe I'll post the readings I have had with this card in it in the right section to have more clarification. I guess having scenarios help with understanding what the card is trying to say in different situations. 

The Judgement card marks the end of the Fool's Journey.  It's like a score card, a final grade, a verdict.  How did he do?  Judgement determines the Fool's place in the Universe where he waits to begin his next journey.  In a reading it could also be seen as the score at this point in the game, or a midterm grade, to continue the analogy.

Then take it from there as relates to the question.  Is progress being made?  If so, how?  If not, why?  What course of action would maximize achievement of goals?  In a past position, evaluate what has been accomplished; in a future position, think about what might happen next.  As a suggested course of action, or something to avoid, or an obstacle, or a goal, read in terms of the process toward achievement of a goal.  And so forth...

On a side note, you mention that things get confused when you use clarifiers.  So don't use them.  The cards you draw in your original spread give all the information you need.  Clarifiers are always unnecessary and more often than not counterproductive.  

18 hours ago, Grandma said:

On a side note, you mention that things get confused when you use clarifiers.  So don't use them.  The cards you draw in your original spread give all the information you need.  Clarifiers are always unnecessary and more often than not counterproductive.  

I think I should literally change how I do my readings. I am doing three card readings for every question lol

But I think actual spreads are better so each card can have a position. It should be easier to understand the cards according to their position and how it relates to the actual question being asked. That may also reduce the need of clarifiers. 

I tend to lean heavily on what's in the image, and in this card in my decks we have a celestial being coming out of a hole in the clouds and people coming out of holes in the earth. So all three realms are traversed, and the upper powers can freely flow through. This can be literal judgement, when ones true, higher nature is evaluated for all to see. But I also see it as that conduit.

Utilising the older tarots (Marseille, Sopraffino, et cetera), I tend to think resurrection is the essence of the card. Something comes back; there is a second chance.

Over time, I have seen it predict re-connecting with some from yesteryear, buying a childhood house, and re-marrying someone. Unfortunately, it has also forecast a relapse of illness - including cancer.

There is a “hearing” side — you might hear something important, get a tip off, et cetera. It doesn’t tend to be a sign (that’s more trump 5), but it could be. 

Other times, there is a change in position or situation. A factor or influence, or root cause, becomes evident.

I read once that it signifies a matter resolved on its own terms. I’ve found that quite a nice summary of the card, too. I also see this card as having a close connection to Trump X.

Edited by Guest
Clarity

Being raise in a VERY Christian dominated household, I say that resurrection is definitely the theme here, but a victorious resurrection. These people are rejoicing and rising because their god is victorious, and he has called them home. It's the ultimate vindication. I see Justice more of a fair and balanced outcome - cause and effect, action and consequence. I see Judgement as personal victory - obstacles overcome with humble rejoicing.  

The hope and faith of the star, the unknown and fear of the moon, and the rising of the sun have given way to victory. 

1 hour ago, Helena said:

Being raise in a VERY Christian dominated household, I say that resurrection is definitely the theme here, but a victorious resurrection. These people are rejoicing and rising because their god is victorious, and he has called them home. It's the ultimate vindication. I see Justice more of a fair and balanced outcome - cause and effect, action and consequence. I see Judgement as personal victory - obstacles overcome with humble rejoicing.  

The hope and faith of the star, the unknown and fear of the moon, and the rising of the sun have given way to victory. 

^This.  Yeah, there is a "death" here, but it's not the same as the type experienced in Death or The Tower.  Rather, it's a call to die to your old self, and embrace a new, better, higher self.  Judgment is about making that choice to step out and ascend to something new.  While I maintain that Death and The Tower aren't all doom and gloom, Judgment to me gives off a far more positive vibe.  Well, it depends on the Judgment card.  I do have a set that doubles down on the Revelation imagery in that card, and some people get called up to Heaven...some down to Hell, which I think indicates a choice.  But, in most decks the imagery is far more positive and only Heaven is represented.  

19 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

^This.  Yeah, there is a "death" here, but it's not the same as the type experienced in Death or The Tower.  Rather, it's a call to die to your old self, and embrace a new, better, higher self.  Judgment is about making that choice to step out and ascend to something new.  While I maintain that Death and The Tower aren't all doom and gloom, Judgment to me gives off a far more positive vibe.  Well, it depends on the Judgment card.  I do have a set that doubles down on the Revelation imagery in that card, and some people get called up to Heaven...some down to Hell, which I think indicates a choice.  But, in most decks the imagery is far more positive and only Heaven is represented.  

20 hours ago, Helena said:

20 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

Utilising the older tarots (Marseille, Sopraffino, et cetera), I tend to think resurrection is the essence of the card. Something comes back; there is a second chance.

Over time, I have seen it predict re-connecting with some from yesteryear, buying a childhood house, and re-marrying someone. Unfortunately, it has also forecast a relapse of illness - including cancer.

There is a “hearing” side — you might hear something important, get a tip off, et cetera. It doesn’t tend to be a sign (that’s more trump 5), but it could be. 

Other times, there is a change in position or situation. A factor or influence, or root cause, becomes evident.

I read once that it signifies a matter resolved on its own terms. I’ve found that quite a nice summary of the card, too. I also see this card as having a close connection to Trump X.

Thanks so much! These all are very helpful!

Okay, so there are positive sides to this card! 

I guess if surrounding cards are indicating a new start you can say there is a new beginning perhaps with a new mentality, circumstances, fixing the root cause to be able to have a second chance, that sort of thing. 

But yes, I also see this card very different than the tower or the death card. It's a different type of feeling. 

Judgment for me is not how others judge me - but of how I judge myself and others.  It begs me to look at the situation at hand - and assess the situation honestly and objectively - is there a process of forgiveness I need to apply - either to myself or someone else - and then be patient with that process - accept it - learn from it - integrate the wisdom from it - and release it as a lesson learned

WW

I never see this card as an old situation coming back into use in the querents life. It's a wakeup call card which usually means.....stop with this already! Move on. Its not a card of endings because the issue is usually still active in the querents life, it's a call to let this go. Come back to the present moment and live your life from a different perspective. Often pops up when a subconscious desire or idea is continually messing with the person's life or they have willfully rejected something they should be embracing. Like finding something else to focus upon. The key element for me is not the ressurection but the clarion call. It's a call to action.

Edited by Guest

I've seen some describe this card as the "aha!" moment where you suddenly "get it" and realize something you didn't understand before.  Epiphany.  It can mean enlightenment in some cases.

The image in Poppy Palin's Everyday Tarot shows a young woman walking out a door looking behind her at a young man getting drunk.  She's made the decision not to stay and do the same, which indicates she's following her better judgment. 

Considering that the image on RWS depicts the resurrection, I do think it can mean something coming back but in a different form. It may resemble or be the essence of what died, but it won't be exactly the same.  I'd say it would be a more spiritual thing, not an actual one.  One for-instance I can think of would be if someone is asking whether or not they'll ever renew an old relationship that ended.  The Judgment card in that case could mean that any hard feelings that may have resulted in the breakup would be forgiven and forgotten and the ex would have fond feelings for the sitter but that it would never be on a personal or physical basis anymore.  They'd treasure the memories of the good things and care for the person always but the actual relationship would still truly be over as it used to exist.

I was working with this card recently and to sum up a long story, which is in part mentioned in the above comments, it does mean somethng is over, but not that it's cleanly over, like death suddenly stopping something.  If it relates to a person, then that person still has action to take in the process.  Maybe an analogy: Let's say you were in a bad living arrangement, and you had decided to move out, and you had a place lined up, ready to occupy, but you weren't yet gone.  You still have to pack your bags and go, and you will, it's over for the old place as far as the future is concerned, you aren't coming back.  But you still have to pack your bag, and as you pack you might throw stuff out you don't want anymore.  So there is still action to take place.  Not troublesome action, just physically picking up the old stuff and dropping it in the bin.  It won't jump out of the bin by itself, and you don't dive back in the bin and dig it out.

This isn't THE entire possible range of definitions, just the part that might relate to your question.

Cakes2021

In my experience, something in the past that is brought to the surface to address it. How it happens can vary, a conversation or an event. 

The Judgement card is definitely about some (as others have said) transformation taking place in your life, as it's represented by the pheonix. A bird that transforms and then is reborn out of the ashes. And also is ruled by Pluto, which literally means transformation. So to put it blankly, no it is not something that is truly done and over with. But depending on certain cards, it can indicate if an issue will come to a close, and if a close examination of the matter is at hand, such as maybe with decision-based sword cards. (Example: 2 of swords--a dilemma or conflict with no clear outcome, and then Judgement: I would interpret to mean that a matter will soon draw to a close, and a final account or decision will be weighed.) Another example: (this is if it would not mean a final examination of a matter at hand,  but more likely a transformation) 2 of cups and Judgement--a renewed partnership. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.