Telephone tarot lines

Beanie

Hi everyone hope you’re all well...what’s your take on phoning a tarot line for a reading? How many cards do they use? Do you think they can give an effective reading over the phone, I wonder how it works do they shuffle the cards and then ask to ask them to stop? Do they spread them out and ask you to count along to choose the cards? Or do they just shuffle and take the top 3 or 5 or whatever number...just curious as to how a remote reading works 👍

Well, I have never phoned one of those lines myself, but I have read for a phone line a long time ago. I do not think that there are any general methods that readers use there, I suspect its quite representative of their personal style. Sometimes I pulled many cards, sometimes few. I always adapted to what the client wanted. Some started by saying they had a quick question. I would never pull multiple cards then, I just tried to give them what they wanted. Others would come up with more questions and want to keep talking. For them it was not uncommon that I kept pulling cards or doing multiple mini readings, because the topics changed. It was a bit like "now that I have you on the phone and I like your style, lets also delve into my work situation, and my love life and..." etc. 

I would say that the downside is that it costs a lot. I am also not sure how easy it is to research individual readers on each platform, I suspect it differs from place to place. In case you prefer a certain style or want to see a picture of the person that you are going to talk to. I think some places offer that. The plus side is that you get to talk to the person and if you notice that they aren't exactly getting what you mean, you can give them more information and you can also ask them to clarify. Zoom/video readings are getting more and more common too, these days, so I suspect this is a type of reading that we will see more of. 

Oh, and if you were wondering if remote readings work well, then yes they absolutely do. (As long as the reader is good and the client is cooperative). Its no different than when people exchange readings here on the forum, those are remote readings too. Also, hearing someones voice really do help. I felt I was usually able to tune into them quickly that way. 

I used to work for one of the popular Psychic/Tarot phone line companies in the UK, there were a number of options for the caller if they wanted a three card reading or a Celtic Cross spread, I would ask what their question was and then i would spread the cards out on the table and asked the client to choose how many cards, The readings mainly took between 10 - 20 mins as they didn't want to be kept long on the phone as they were being charged quite alot.  I use to get many first time callers and some sceptics that were often abusive. We also had to send a report to our manager if any callers were asking to commit a crime it was an interesting experience.  

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Well, I have never phoned one of those lines myself, but I have read for a phone line a long time ago. I do not think that there are any general methods that readers use there, I suspect its quite representative of their personal style. Sometimes I pulled many cards, sometimes few. I always adapted to what the client wanted. Some started by saying they had a quick question. I would never pull multiple cards then, I just tried to give them what they wanted. Others would come up with more questions and want to keep talking. For them it was not uncommon that I kept pulling cards or doing multiple mini readings, because the topics changed. It was a bit like "now that I have you on the phone and I like your style, lets also delve into my work situation, and my love life and..." etc. 

Yes, this. I did a LOT of fast three card pulls, more than anything else, since they were trying to cram as many questions as possible into the minutes they paid for.

I would say that the downside is that it costs a lot. I am also not sure how easy it is to research individual readers on each platform, I suspect it differs from place to place.

It's almost impossible. Reviews can't be trusted - we had readers calling other readers in order to leave them one star reviews, readers who recruited friends and family to leave them five stars, all of that.

At Keen we had blogs. If the service you're calling has that, you can look over the blogs and see if anybody seems competent. But be warned, we were trying to get clients. Silly introductory things got the most views, so we often wrote those things, lol.

Zoom/video readings are getting more and more common too, these days, so I suspect this is a type of reading that we will see more of. 

Oranum had those. I used to get a disproportionate number of males - lying back on their beds, waiting to whip it out. At Keen we could at least block and report guys who were having "sex for one". But Oranum was lax about that - it turns out they also owned a sex cam site. I didn't work for Oranum long. 🤮

27 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I used to work for one of the popular Psychic/Tarot phone line companies in the UK, there were a number of options for the caller if they wanted a three card reading or a Celtic Cross spread, I would ask what their question was and then i would spread the cards out on the table and asked the client to choose how many cards, The readings mainly took between 10 - 20 mins as they didn't want to be kept long on the phone as they were being charged quite alot. 

That's unusual. But every place is different. I've even read that the old Psychic Friends/Miss Cleo lines had scripts for people to read from. That reflected badly on all of us, but even so, anybody can sign up at these places and there's probably many who can't read at all.
So every place is different, and every reader is different. It's just trial and error.

42 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It's almost impossible. Reviews can't be trusted - we had readers calling other readers in order to leave them one star reviews, readers who recruited friends and family to leave them five stars, all of that.

At Keen we had blogs. If the service you're calling has that, you can look over the blogs and see if anybody seems competent. But be warned, we were trying to get clients. Silly introductory things got the most views, so we often wrote those things, lol.

Oranum had those. I used to get a disproportionate number of males - lying back on their beds, waiting to whip it out. At Keen we could at least block and report guys who were having "sex for one". But Oranum was lax about that - it turns out they also owned a sex cam site. I didn't work for Oranum long. 🤮

Oh dear

disgusted emma stone GIF

42 minutes ago, katrinka said:

That's unusual. But every place is different. I've even read that the old Psychic Friends/Miss Cleo lines had scripts for people to read from. That reflected badly on all of us, but even so, anybody can sign up at these places and there's probably many who can't read at all.
So every place is different, and every reader is different. It's just trial and error.

They had scripts?! 

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

miss cleo infomercial GIF

Yep there are many bad phone companies in the UK, you do need to check their reputation and be careful of reviews some can be dubious to say the least. The company i worked for have their own TV show which is still popular today, i had to be assessed for test readings before i was accepted for a job. 

1 hour ago, Raggydoll said:

Oh dear

disgusted emma stone GIF

They had scripts?! 

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

miss cleo infomercial GIF

Yes. Not everyone stuck to them, but they had them:

"That summer, whenever I could, I stayed up all night smoking out the window and guzzling cheap wine while doling out fortunes over a landline. For some reason, the customers expecting Miss Cleo didn’t seem to mind when they got a clueless, depressive 20-year-old from the suburbs instead. Since I was not actually psychic, the Psychic Readers Network provided me with a minimal script to read and a computer program that simulated a tarot card spread. I used neither. It worked better to make it up as I went along."

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/fashion/mens-style/hotline-psychic-miss-cleo-commercials.html

drunk on one GIF

47 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Yep there are many bad phone companies in the UK, you do need to check their reputation and be careful of reviews some can be dubious to say the least. The company i worked for have their own TV show which is still popular today, i had to be assessed for test readings before i was accepted for a job. 

I've done a few of those. I have no idea if they're assessing accuracy or they just want to see if we can speak coherently.

All this is the kind of reason I - wouldn't go to one. I'd find a site belonging to someone I know something about. Even the "good" sites will have some dud readers, and you've no way to know.

32 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I've done a few of those. I have no idea if they're assessing accuracy or they just want to see if we can speak coherently.

Yes i think it was probably for both reasons, they liked clear spoken english and we needed to get through as many caller's as possible as it was a very busy network 

Interesting.  I didn't know those existed, but I'm not surprised they do.  I'm a bit more surprised that video chat didn't kill them, but it makes sense that any and all available technology would be used to expand the reach of readers to potential clients.  

Many of the Tarot phone companies now use Skype for their callers, i don't think it matters if the reader see's the person you can still pick up on whats going on around them over the phone.  Now with the technology available many Tarot readers prefer to do readings by a live phone link as they feel it connects them more with the client. 

Like others, I have never ‘phoned the telephone lines but I did work for one for several years. You had an assessment which involved giving the assessor a reading. It was good training in celerity and succinctness.

Most callers would just say “Capricorn” (&c) or their forename. In terms of mechanism I have never let my clients touch my cards, so it was no different. I riffled, cut and draw out the cards. For the Lenormand (which I was advised not to use, as the assessor had never heard of it), I just flipped it over and treated it as a GT. 

No one told me what spreads to use. I often used the astrological wheel and that remains my preferred opening reading. If the caller had a specific question, I used the tirage en croix. You had to be fast, clear and precise — so everything had to be geared towards specific events or situations.

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

Most callers would just say “Capricorn” (&c) or their forename. In terms of mechanism I have never let my clients touch my cards, so it was no different. I riffled, cut and draw out the cards. For the Lenormand (which I was advised not to use, as the assessor had never heard of it), I just flipped it over and treated it as a GT. 

I remember how nervous some callers were thinking that they were going to hear bad news, i used a general spread about 8 cards just to get an overall view of the client and their present situation. The readings were mostly about relationships is my partner going to leave me or cheating etc, and some were ringing just out of curiosity. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.