How to achieve this kind level of card reading?

kardismoss

Hello everyone, 
I've seen a section about tarot that reads like "the meaning of cards are never always as they seem.", and the meaning of the card "The Devil" is more interest for me "not always means the evil or distruction, it can mean other things", the personal description about the devil card is more attracted me "a dark lover approaching, bringing terror. irreststible. part of you, but not. the whisper of something ghastly and betiful."

My personal expectation for me is to be able to achieve this level of personal interpretation of the cards before I can be qualified to use tarot cards,

So, wherer should I begin to learn??

4 minutes ago, kardismoss said:

My personal expectation for me is to be able to achieve this level of personal interpretation of the cards before I can be qualified to use tarot cards

Nope, you've got it backwards.  You need to use Tarot cards in order to achieve any level of personal interpretation.  Practice, learn, ask questions, read spreads, post readings, and pay attention.  We are a learning community.  Even the oldest-timers of us are still learning.

And welcome to TT&M!

Love, Grandma 

Yes @kardismoss as Grandma said it’s not something you can learn without using the cards.It’s not like I’ve learnt the theory so now I can do the exercise thing.It needs a lot of practice.

3CE781C8-192A-4D62-BBA2-C9725ED70A14.png

Just like the others were saying, it’s experience that will turn you into a good and flexible reader. But maybe you meant that you needed to study those things before you are qualified to be a paid/professional reader? Cause that’s a different ballgame for sure, and I would definitely say that professional readers need to know those things. If that’s not what you’re aiming for then just get started. Dive in and have fun. I did my first readings for others at the age of 12. I had the guidebook in one hand and I had no idea of how to adapt anything. That came with time and practice. My first readings were hilariously nonsensical, so don’t feel pressured to get it right straight away. It’s a process and you never get ‘done’. Like grandma said, we’re all still learning on some level. And that’s a good thing! 

16 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Just like the others were saying, it’s experience that will turn you into a good and flexible reader. But maybe you meant that you needed to study those things before you are qualified to be a paid/professional reader? Cause that’s a different ballgame for sure, and I would definitely say that professional readers need to know those things. If that’s not what you’re aiming for then just get started. Dive in and have fun. I did my first readings for others at the age of 12. I had the guidebook in one hand and I had no idea of how to adapt anything. That came with time and practice. My first readings were hilariously nonsensical, so don’t feel pressured to get it right straight away. It’s a process and you never get ‘done’. Like grandma said, we’re all still learning on some level. And that’s a good thing! 

Wow, I didn’t expect so many people to respond to me so soon, thank you
I want to clarify a few points:
1. What I mean is that I am not qualified to use tarot cards for others until I reach this level of interpretation.
2. Regarding the interpretation of tarot cards, I think it is more appropriate to use "How to become a reader who can go beyond the limits of interpretation of books and cards and interpret the emotions or somethings given by the tarot cards".

"Qualified" isn't a word I would use here. If you aren't comfortable reading for others yet - sure, read for yourself. But the example you gave up there is more a style of interpretation than a level, for one thing.

Like Raggy, my forest reading was done trawling around the floor with the book and a friend. It was a disaster. But- if you want to read, you just keep at it. To get more out of each card - limit the number of cards you use (too much to interpret is depressing !) and look at the picture. REALLY look.

2 hours ago, kardismoss said:

"a dark lover approaching, bringing terror. irresistible. part of you, but not. the whisper of something ghastly and beautiful."

That's not in the book. You have to LOOK to see that. (not that that is something I have ever got from that card !)

And join some of the reading circles here. You will see others work, and try your skills in them; they will comment back. Reading is how we all learn.

2 hours ago, kardismoss said:

Wow, I didn’t expect so many people to respond to me so soon, thank you
I want to clarify a few points:
1. What I mean is that I am not qualified to use tarot cards for others until I reach this level of interpretation.
2. Regarding the interpretation of tarot cards, I think it is more appropriate to use "How to become a reader who can go beyond the limits of interpretation of books and cards and interpret the emotions or somethings given by the tarot cards".

Hi Kardismoss, welcome to the forum. Just a few points there is not really a qualified level when reading Tarot, First time learners will start from reading a good book to understand the history and the meanings behind each card, I remember when i first got started i joined a Tarot group that provided me with some skills but generally you can learn and get to a very good level of accuracy by yourself, 

It’s also different to read for friends or complete strangers. Here on the forum you can specify your level of knowledge when you offer readings/exchanges. There is nothing wrong with offering to read for others to gain experience. My first years of reading for others, I made it clear that I was a beginner. And I of course didn’t charge any money. They participated for fun or out of curiosity. It was a great way to learn. Getting feedback is another important aspect of learning tarot. Here you will always get feedback when you read for others so you’ll know what you did great and what you need to practice more on. 

6 hours ago, kardismoss said:

I've seen a section about tarot that reads like "the meaning of cards are never always as they seem.", and the meaning of the card "The Devil" is more interest for me "not always means the evil or distruction, it can mean other things", the personal description about the devil card is more attracted me "a dark lover approaching, bringing terror. irreststible. part of you, but not. the whisper of something ghastly and betiful."

My personal expectation for me is to be able to achieve this level of personal interpretation of the cards before I can be qualified to use tarot cards,

When you see something like that, ask yourself: why are they saying that? Find the logic behind it. 
And you can think about what the Devil might mean in a reading about different subjects. Relationships, work, addiction, health, etc.
And in combination with various other cards. Reading is all about context. 😉

8 hours ago, kardismoss said:

Hi @kardismoss

You should begin by reading; there is no other way. Read as often as you can and track your accuracy.

Like most divinatory artes, tarot cards have layers of meanings. Ordinarily, one starts with the most elementary significations, e.g. le diable is an overpowering force, sickness and weakness. The others come in their own time (wastefulness, coercive behaviours, enemies, et cetera). 

You may find it helpful to start with one deck and one source. You will become well acquainted with the deck so choose widely.

But be mindful that all readers are students. There are no experts. Madeline Montalban wrote:

The Tarot cannot be learned easily, and one never stops learning about it, but nobody will claim to be master of it unless they are foolish for it is the book of wisdom and initiation, the Book of Thoth, the recorder-teacher, god of the ancient Egyptians. 

Do lots of readings. Seasoning the deck is a process of aligning the iconography of the deck with your own subconscious and it happens automatically with use. You will often notice that those who have been engaged with

tarot for a long time offer significantly different and sometimes surprising interpretations for cards. That's because through experience of seeing particular cards in different contexts the understanding of the card and what it triggers from your mind also expands. There comes a point in every reading where you put the guidebook aside and go with what you are getting from a card even if you've never used that interpretation  before. Tarot is a very limited language, there are only 78 symbols to cover every aspect of human experience. It stands to reason then that in many situations you will see cards representing out of the box concepts.

For the longest time I was confused by the wands courts. Guidebooks and the interpretations of others did not help because those interpretations did not fit the context. It wasn't until I connected the fast burn and consuming nature of fire with that suit that I discovered what the deck was trying to convey. A wands relationship can be easily ignited but fast burning and once the fuel is spent, that's it so is the relationship. That kind of relationship suits some but not the person I was reading for which is why the deck continually kept saying let go of the King Of Wands. Let go of passionate men with low staying power, if you want to be happy in love. And yet being fickle isn't a traditional aspect of the King Of Wands. It was however, in that particular context. The reason why it was the King Of Wands and not the Knight Of Wands who seems like a more likely suspect was because he represented her ideal man. The very highest personification of what she was attracted to. Hence a King, not a Knight.

Edited by Guest

On 1/13/2021 at 6:37 AM, kardismoss said:

"The Devil" is more interest for me "not always means the evil or distruction, it can mean other things", the personal description about the devil card is more attracted me "a dark lover approaching, bringing terror. irreststible. part of you, but not. the whisper of something ghastly and betiful."

This is done by the presentation of you given a personal interpretation of the Devil, and mostly a ''reading style'' that many readers will apply to their readings. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.