Tarot del Toro

Helena

On 2/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, timtoldrum said:

That is Papus’ system. Despite outlining it he also fell back on Etteilla in later writing. 

Fred Gettings outlined it in his book in the 1970s.

From memory, Dmitri (Dan) prefers it to other pip systems. I do know two others who use it. But for me it has always been meh 

Yes. It has that Papus-y flavor, lol.
Papus had a genius system as far as combining commencement, opposition and equilibrium in various ways in order to address all the pips. But in actual practice, it all fell apart for me.  I'm not surprised that people tend to abandon it - Papus included, lol.

These are Silvestre’s:

Aces indicate beginnings and commencement of action. 
Twos indicate duality and opposition.

Threes indicate communication and direction.

Fours indicate consolidation and stabilisation.

Fives indicate renewal and progression.

Sixes indicate sacrifice and challenges.

Sevens indicate action and force.

Eights indicate infinity and balance. 

Nines indicate new cycles and change. 

Tens indicate success and rapid developments.

Those make sense, and line up nicely with "standard" meanings. I think she's had a major impact.
Martello is not to be discounted, either, even though his writing on numbers tends towards a "seven days in a week, seven days of creation, etc." kind of free-associating. Not exactly concise, but when you pull it all together, it does actually work.

That is what I find strange, particularly when people say they’re reading the images. It’s a horrible card.

Yes. Not just pipe dreams, but being dazzled by pipe dreams. 
Believing them. Being the guy who blows the rent money because he's convinced that prosperity is around the corner. Being in one-sided True Love. Etc.

It all seemed to have started in the 1960s when the PKT was deemed inadequate. 

🙄
While I can agree that some things could use more explanation than the PKT provides, especially for beginners, that's no reason to alter the card meaning.
It could have used some simple, classic spreads other than the CC, a bit about putting the cards in context, and a brief explanation of how cards can modify each other. Those are the difficulties I had with it when I was a noob/kid. NOT problems with the given interpretations.

A book shouldn't spoon feed people, anyway.  The PKT gives a solid foundation for using the deck. Beyond that, it's up to the reader to practice - and, above all, think.

It’s like the Eight of Pentacles as apprenticeship. Waite did not say that. Colman Smith’s drawing comes from Book T. 

Yes. Prudence. The "measure twice, cut once" card.
A quick google search doesn't turn up anything like that, though. The misinformation seems to have completely taken over.

The journal is looking good, BTW. An auspicious beginning. 🙂

Edited by katrinka

I am new to Tarot and don’t have a clue about any of the cards in this deck. So I wonder if it’s possible that the Character in each card would have any meaning base on the movie they came from?

So many comments disapprovals of this deck. Sad, I love this deck and since I am total beginner it will be my main deck. This is it for me and where my journey of tarot begins. 

therefore, let’s have fun with this deck in a meaningful way. Begin by watching Guillermo Del Toro movies to understand the meanings behind the cards..

Come on, let’s be nice and have fun!

Where's the disapproval ? This thread discusses the deck and makes some very interesting observations about the cards, about the creator's intentions (and book) and comparing these to other systems. And discussion of how mixing traditions doesn't work very well. No-one has said they disapprove of the deck. But I will say that - while I have seen some of the movies - no deck that requires you to view movies to be able to read with it will ever get my vote, This one doesn't so that's fine.

Interesting thread.

Each system was made by people (different era). None of it is perfect or more 'right' than the other. In my view one can use any of it or could even come up with it's own. That's just as good as any of the existing one.(BTW personally I use the RWS system -which I apply to Marseilles or even to Thoth).

Of course even if you have in mind a basic meaning, this is modified in a spread by different factors (so there are a range of meanings for each card).

But I don't see much mystery or ancient wisdom in any of these systems (unfortunately). (except in the Major Arcana cards). For me the tarot worth is given by the fact that is about life itself, which is reflected pretty good in those wonderful 78 cards!

It could be just me but I think consistency is important. No matter what system you use what I find important that you decide in advance what meaning you'll use before you deal your cards. I wasn't doing that at the beginning and chaos followed LOL

I just got my own tarot deck and am very knew to readings, does anyone know if I can use other deck meanings for the card in the Tarot Del Toro deck? I’ve read the guide book for the deck and it is very confusing and doesn’t give clear meanings for the cards and I’m not sure if it’s just my autism not getting the direct message from the book or if the book is just generally confusing. Please help!