Why SOME of us may like to read for others here, but not want an EXCHANGE

GreatDane

I enjoy reading for others.  I did a lot of Lenormand readings on AT, I have done some here on TT and Me in the past.

But I always just ask for feedback, not an exchange, because at 70, really there's not a question I want answered.  How will my lab work come back?  NOPE, don't really want to ask that.

What part of my body will go first?  Nah.  

It's not because I don't think there are MANY great readers here, it's because I know there are and just don't want the answer to a question I don't want to know.

So if I open up Lenormand readings from time to time, and just ask for feedback, just wanted to share it's not because I don't think there are fabulous readers here.  I know there are 🙂   

Lol.

Yes.

I don't often want a reading myself - I can mostly work my crap out and regularly use my decks to "de-bug" myself.

I may choose to have a reading because I'd like to see how someone else reads - or for a treat.

I mostly offer readings for feedback because I wish to improve my own reading - a million miles to go on improvement 🙃.

I agree here with you GreatDane. Some of us love to get readings however are not so practiced to return it with an exchange. It has been over couple of months that I actually even touched my decks.  So I would hate to cut corners here and do a compromised reading for someone, just because I the only way I could get anybody to read for me was by offering an exchange. 

Saturn Celeste
1 hour ago, ashwsh said:

I agree here with you GreatDane. Some of us love to get readings however are not so practiced to return it with an exchange. It has been over couple of months that I actually even touched my decks.  So I would hate to cut corners here and do a compromised reading for someone, just because I the only way I could get anybody to read for me was by offering an exchange. 

HI ashwsh!!!  If you want to do a reading I'll give you feedback.  PM me when you're reading to set the thread!  It's great to see you! ❤️

Thanks for the feedback, tarot peeps!  Whenever I did readings here or on AT, I always just wanted feedback, but never wanted anyone to feel it wasn't because I thought they weren't a good reader.  Some of us, especially those of us who don't WANT an answer through the cards, just prefer feedback instead 🙂  

2 hours ago, GreatDane said:

[...] But I always just ask for feedback, not an exchange, because at 70, really there's not a question I want answered.  How will my lab work come back?  NOPE, don't really want to ask that.

What part of my body will go first?  Nah.  [...]

I just gotta say that your sense of humor is so on point 😆

I have to agree!! I like reading for others more than sitting for readings 🙂 

🙂  Thanks, vulprix!  When doing readings, most of the questions I get are about love, career, I don't have those questions.  So for me, reading for others is a delight, getting a reading, not so much.  

Saturn Celeste
1 hour ago, GreatDane said:

Thanks for the feedback, tarot peeps!  Whenever I did readings here or on AT, I always just wanted feedback, but never wanted anyone to feel it wasn't because I thought they weren't a good reader.  Some of us, especially those of us who don't WANT an answer through the cards, just prefer feedback instead 🙂  

I am for feedback also.  I don't like to have my cards read by me or anyone else unless it's a specific exchange or I ask for help but I prefer to have feedback only.  It's the only way I can continue to grow!

Looks like you're not the only one @GreatDane 😁 most of the time I'm the same, generally I prefer to read for feedback rather than exchange. The only time I regularly do otherwise is in ISG and that's kinda mandatory lol. Occasionally there'll be a subject I want to do a reading on but feel too close to be able to do it properly for myself so I'll do reading for reading (I usually offer to do a reading in return if it hasn't been asked for).

Mostly I just genuinely enjoy reading for other people 😊

8 hours ago, Saturn Celeste said:

HI ashwsh!!!  If you want to do a reading I'll give you feedback.  PM me when you're reading to set the thread!  It's great to see you! ❤️

Oh my god...you are back...so good to see you. I am so so happy to hear from you. PMing you to talk more..xoxo

GD! Long time no see! You're old enough to be my older sister 🤪😉, but we share preferring feedback to an exchange reading. I often have to stretch to find something for someone else to read on. At my age, I'm content to just let life happen and be surprised (pleasantly or not) at what happens. Fortunately there ARE people who want readings, or I'd never do any readings at all!

(I've been mostly absent from forums this year because I'm trying to wrap my head around the Brotherhood of Light Tarot.)

DownUnderNZer

Great thread...

I really like reading for people that are open to it and that genuinely appreciate the time, effort and what is actually conveyed whether you are trying new cards out or are a seasoned reader with an old beloved deck.

I have never charged money nor am likely to take that path nor do I have the desire to be a professional reader.

I can read for myself and don't expect readings in return although sometimes I enjoy giving feedback and helpful advice where I can - if in the mood. I beIieve feedback is one sure way of proving what is on the dot or not. 

I will never read for anyone that is a reader holic or not open to seeing things in a different light.

Sometimes I will choose strangers at random - I love that and sometimes I accidentally stumble across sceptics which I like as well from time to time. Especially when you see things they think are hidden or not obvious.

It all depends.

Recently, this one lady on a different site wouldn't answer any readers comments to her - going back 6 months. She only did about 3 or 4 posts and only had a few responses from Psychics and Mediums. Those responses were quite lengthy but not tuned in - one was even trying to persuade her to pay for a full reading!!! Must say there was a sweet guy who was genuinely trying to connect with her, but it was all over the place.

It was her eyes that did it for me - so I responded.

I got quite a response from her because I nailed her situation to a tee right down to the nitty gritty """cheating""" and I so don't like touching on relationships because they arent my fave thing to do.

Just something about her made me want to reach out to try and pull her through that inner turmoil. Anyways, because I got the past and present she was open to listening to a few harsh truths and what needed to be addressed towards the future.

She was so gracious and thankful.

As to what she does next - is up to her. 

I like readings like that - where a person walks away feeling a bit better and can see things from a different perspective or in a way that they weren't looking at it before.

DND 🌞

I like to read for others for feedback, as well, although lately I have to be in just the right mood to offer readings.  I'm too old to care much about the trajectory of my life and there is no crisis that I cannot overcome all by myself.

Is that *our* Rodney?  I think he must be because I just looked at his profile.  Good to see you!

DownUnderNZer

ADDING: Like someone, or others mentioned above about the older we get, I have found that too as in the older I get I don't need readings and for some years now have been  hard pressed for questions to ask anyhow.

For the first few years I wondered why, but now I'm okay with it. 

If it happens it happens - if it doesn't it doesn't.

DND 🌞

14 hours ago, ashwsh said:

I’m the same, I’m still very new to reading and am definitely not confident enough to read for someone else yet! 

I really enjoy the feedback as well. I don't really need questions answered that I haven't read for myself but this time round I got into an exchange as I'd like to see how differently different people read, it's always fun.

This is a really helpful thread and seeing different people's perspectives.  

I ran into something similar for myself doing a 31 Days of Shadow Work Calendar that a Twitter friend put together.  The prompts touched on issues I'm sure a lot of people needed to process through but for many of them I found myself going  "Nope, actually I don't have any unresolved feelings or issues on the topic" which I simply take as a win and moving into the last quarter of my life.  All the stuff that was hot topics at 20, 30, 40, just have answered themselves here in my 50s.  It isn't that I feel superior, just that I feel like I know that if I want Result C, then I need to do A + B to get it.

I love talking to everyone about tarot but I don't really feel an urge to get readings done for myself except to help readers looking for someone to practice on and have a really hard time coming up with good questions to ask about.  

11 hours ago, Rodney said:

I often have to stretch to find something for someone else to read on. At my age, I'm content to just let life happen and be surprised (pleasantly or not) at what happens. Fortunately there ARE people who want readings, or I'd never do any readings at all!

(I've been mostly absent from forums this year because I'm trying to wrap my head around the Brotherhood of Light Tarot.)

Yea - I don't want return readings either.

But Brotherhood of Light isn't that tough, Rodney...

WOW.  Thank you for all your thoughts and perspectives, my fellow Taroteers.  When I posted, I just wanted to put it out there why I don't ask for an exchange.  It's been grand reading all your posts.

And an fyi, when I started reading tarot, it was always meant as an exploration, a journey for ME.  For insight.  It played well with my psychological background and I saw it as just MY path to explore.  Then I expanded to read for a few close friends.  But it was about how I INTERPRETED the cards, not how others did. 

I never knew there were others who, for one reason or another, didn't really want exchanges either. 

Your insights have been illuminating. 

I'm glad to find this thread. I always feel a little bit guilty when I only ask for feedback. I feel like maybe I seem snobbish in not asking for readings in return, but like the Crone, I'm at the age where I don't have big pressing love or professional questions and I prefer not to ask about my health when it's so obvious what the status of that is.  I'm at the age where the Creator doesn't let women get pregnant anymore because they'd forget where they put the baby so I don't have children around except for now and then some visiting grown grandchildren or sweet little great-grandchildren so no questions about kid issues, either.

Usually I offer readings in the Exchange for feedback on a new deck to try it out or else to contribute what I can to letting new people learn anything they can glean from my reading style.  I also like my sitters to come back periodically to update their reading so we can see what the results have been over varying periods of time.

I have some new decks arriving in the mail tomorrow and next week, so I'll be posting some reading offers in the Exchange soon if anyone is interested.  Just for feedback, though, as usual. 🙂

@Grizabella    "I'm at the age where the Creator doesn't let women get pregnant anymore because they'd forget where they put the baby "

That is a hilarious line!  🤣

I, too, am at that age and know how true that statement is!!!

I don't do exchanges either. I'll step in and help with a reading, but not exchange.
I read for myself, and I have a few friends I can fall back on if I'm stressing over something to the point that the cards are telling me to shut up and chill, lol. 
So I don't need exchanges, and the newer readers here don't need my  "Nope, nope, bad interp, nope, doesn't ring a bell, nope..." 
In other words, I'm free not to comment on everything that gets posted. But if feedback is required, I have to give it. And if the reading is really bad, there's a quandary - how to be honest yet tactful?
I tend to be blunt, that's my nature. But it can come across as scorched earth, so I just don't exchange.

Little Fang

I'm also a "prefer feedback" type since I never know what to ask the cards.  My life is weird but not mega complicated enough to warrant anything but a general reading.  😅

But on that note, I just realized some things I probably should read for myself for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.