Hey, I'm Eva!

evasagittarius

evasagittarius

For the past year or so I've been studying the tarot, and I'm still very much a beginner eager to know more. Initially I thought I'm just going to take short notes for each card to use in readings, but I've found myself wanting to know more and more, delving deeper into the history of the cards and drawing links between other spiritual practices and traditions. So, I don't see any end in sight to this, there's simply too much to learn.. but I'm thinking on maybe starting a blog at some point to share my learning process and all the knowledge I gather. 

I was christened Eastern Orthodox, and while I wouldn't say I'm a christian, the culture of this church has been present in my life. The synthesis of art, life, ritual and spirituality are what I take on from my christened church. There is a great history of mixing pagan and orthodox traditions and that's kind of how I practice my spirituality - making connections and associations between different traditions. I'm into astrology (which I have far more knowledge and experience in, than tarot) as well as Haitian voodoo, and other ancient religions that are based on the observations of the natural universe. 

In my profile picture I have the Temperance card from Bea Nettles' Mountain dream tarot, a deck I'd love to have. At this point I work with the Rider Waite deck, while I'm still getting to know the basics I don't feel ready to explore other decks yet, though I'm very interested. I'm a painter getting my degree on fine arts, and I'd love to take on a project of creating my own deck some time in the future. That would of course be a huge project to take on, and I need to know the cards intimately first. 

But thats's my business here in short, glad to join the forum and learn more!

Edited by evasagittarius
typos

Welcome. 

There is the tarot journal forum which is like a blog opportunity for the tarot. 

Astrology eh?? 

Most tarots follow the golden dawn systems.. the ones that decide to incorporate astrology into their decks

Look up tarot and astrology in amazon and see some books.

There is the new orleans voodo tarot. Sure not hiatian but perhaps you can relate. 

As for tarot and symbolism you should do reviews search first. I have one where the symbolism was forced in order to make ten points.

There was 2 books in the 90s on creating your own deck which helped me to understand the tarot better.

It can even be a good learning tool

See you around

Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you better.  🙂  There are lots of friendly people here as you can see.  We're always glad to welcome someone new and share what we know.