How do you deal with a Besançon-type TdM?

Decan

Here is the question!

Actually a few Tarot of Besançon decks (TdM) are very nice, but for those who don't know, there are 2 cards in them that are different from the other TdM decks: the Popess and Pope.

From what I understood, because of the French Revolution, they didn't want to depict ecclesiastical people anymore, and so replaced the Popess by Junon, and the Pope by Jupiter.

But how do you interpret these cards in the Tarot of Besançon? Do you just ignore these changes and apply the meanings of the Popess for the Junon card and the meanings of the Pope for the Jupiter card, or do you apply some particular meanings there, in relation to mythology regarding Junon and Jupiter?

I have doubts about how to deal with this here...

ETA: below from the Internet

AnticStore-Large-Ref-89910_02.jpg

Edited by Decan

My very first deck was a 1JJ Swiss :classic_smile:  I did use the more usual meanings, but actually I like your idea of allowing some mythological element to creep in, or perhaps considering them an influence that comes from 'beyond the stars'? Certainly they could allow one to use a broader view.

6 hours ago, Decan said:

Here is the question!

Actually a few Tarot of Besançon decks (TdM) are very nice, but for those who don't know, there are 2 cards in them that are different from the other TdM decks: the Popess and Pope.

From what I understood, because of the French Revolution, they didn't want to depict ecclesiastical people anymore, and so replaced the Popess by Junon, and the Pope by Jupiter.

But how do you interpret these cards in the Tarot of Besançon? Do you just ignore these changes and apply the meanings of the Popess for the Junon card and the meanings of the Pope for the Jupiter card, or do you apply some particular meanings there, in relation to mythology regarding Junon and Jupiter?

I have doubts about how to deal with this here...

Don't ignore them, please! Read the deck you're using. 🙂
Juno and Jupiter are thick with meanings. The Petit Oracle des Dames has Juno and Jupiter cards, much more fun than that dusty old Pope. 😄 Juno is read as "Protectoress" in that one, and Jupiter as "Protector" - very auspicious.

Have you seen the Vandenborre? That one has Bacchus at V and the Spanish Captain at II. The Spanish Captain is kind of...dirty, lol. Got to love a Tarot with wine and an off-color joke.

https://tarot-heritage.com/2015/10/22/the-spanish-captain-in-the-vandenborre-deck/

Anyway, it's best to read what's on the table - otherwise we might as well just stick with RWS or whatever. 😉

Edited by katrinka

The Besançon model predates the Revolution, but the pattern was likely modified to appease religious sensibilities. The early tarologists also could not come to any agreement as to the significance of the two cards: some said the symbolism was equivalent, others disagreed.

Any decent work on mythology will give some insights into what the figures of Juno and Jupiter may mean. Robert Graves' book springs to mind, there are many others. 

But another thing that also springs to mind are the old oracle books that predate cartomancy: some of these divinatory parlour games included entries made up of mythological figures, such as the Oracles Divertissans by de La Colombière ( see page 18, and you'll recognise various other figures too). These may provide you with some ideas on how to adapt a mythical story into a divinatory meaning.

THANKS!

You gave me great ways to thinks about these 2 cards of the Besançon!

@PathWalker your post was helping and appreciated, thanks! I like what you said about an influence that comes from 'beyond the stars', it's something evocative that can open a door...

@katrinka I saw a nice Besançon lately and put it on my wishlist (with some greediness, I recognize it 😁 ), but currently I don't have a copy, however I'm considering this option for the near future...

Yes, Junon and Jupiter are in the Petit Oracle des Dames, that's true, and to read "what is on the table" is definitively to consider! I didn't know the Spanish Captain in the Vandenborre deck, but I don't think I would apply the classical meanings of the Popess for him, it would be something weird to do.

@_R_ thanks for posting here, it's much appreciated! I took a look at Wikipedia, and yes, likely during the very first part of the 18th century to don't hurt the protestants and the catholics, I take note! An interfaith Tarot!

Okay, so no agreement regarding how to deal with these 2 cards among tarologists! To weigh the pros and cons is likely something to do.

I will particularly consider the resource by de La Colombière you gave, it looks very interesting; I will see that closely!!

Edited by Decan

TheLoracular
10 hours ago, Decan said:

I've never used a Tarot of Besançon deck, my TdM knowledge base is shamefully poor but I'm making August/September when that changes.  Your post and this thread in general inspired me to go looking for an affordable Tarot of Besançon and discovered one very much to my liking at Deviant Moon called The Resurrected Kirchner Besançon Tarot (1850) 

28 minutes ago, TheLoracular said:

I've never used a Tarot of Besançon deck, my TdM knowledge base is shamefully poor but I'm making August/September when that changes.  Your post and this thread in general inspired me to go looking for an affordable Tarot of Besançon and discovered one very much to my liking at Deviant Moon called The Resurrected Kirchner Besançon Tarot (1850) 

I heartily recommend this deck 🙂 it is a treat.

I searched a little bit regarding the Besançon decks and found on Aeclectic (copy-paste below) a non exhaustive list of them.
The one at Deviant Moon is said a Kirchner Besançon (not redesigned or cleaned I think).
I also saw a Johan Jerger Besançon (1801) at Tarot Heritage which looks nice (while not the one I eyed up at first, but...): https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/catalogue_jerger1801.html

They also have another one there, the Tarot of Jean Pierre Laurent (1735) with Juno & Jupiter (and as well Popess and Pope included): https://tarot-de-marseille-heritage.com/english/catalogue_laurent1735.html Because of the Moon card and a few other cards too, I prefer the Johan Jerger Besançon though.

And I saw a few very nice ones at the Cartomancer (but not for me because in Europe with customs now… well...): https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/

They have the Josef Rauch Miller (1780) -not in the list below-, which is richly colored. It probably has a strong presence!

The one edited at Il Meneghello in the past is likely OOP now, I saw nothing at their store.

Renault (c.1825-50)
Jerger (c. 1800-25)
Carey Louis (1793)
Arnoult/Lequart (1758 -ou 48?- reprint 1889)
Kirchner (c.1850-60)
Laudier (?)
J.B. Benois - ed. Meneghello (1818)
J. Blanche (c.1860-80)
Guillaume Mann (?)
Pierre Lachapelle (?)
Jean Pierre LAURENT (XVIII th century)

Source: https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=137143&page=2

ETA: I checked and the one (pic) I displayed in my first post is an antique Jerger Besançon, pretty expensive to say the least 😁

https://www.anticstore.com/tarot-de-besancon-par-jacob-jerger-89910P

But a 1JJ Swiss mentioned by PathWalker looks a good option too, and very affordable! On the mass market I'm not sure if there is another one; all those that I mentioned above are limited editions or print on demand decks.

Okay, this post is a small overview to be completed if you like! 🙂

Edited by Decan

I'm still undecided regarding which Besançon to choose, or should I go to the DE-ENABLE thread? I'm afraid it's what I have to do!! 😁

I forgot to mention a little deck I didn't see, the Heri (1730), it has something "right" (and has a Tarot Noblet style, its little size apart)...

I read again the Petit Oracle des Dames LWB that @katrinka mentioned in her post, and there are relevant information there, indeed, since there are the Juno and Jupiter cards in this Oracle deck (Juno is N°20, Jupiter N°18).

Both mean "Protection" as it was said, but not only, Juno can depict pride too (of those who have power in society), she can refer to religion (as the Queen of skies) but as well to idolatry. It's not the Popess but I can see the connection here, interesting.

Jupiter is "Protection" too, and as the "God of gods" can depict spiritual leaders, but as well temporal leaders with a function of regulation (a wrath aspect isn't excluded), and indicate honors, consultation/audience, fame (same way, I can see the connection with the Pope card, but the card doesn't overlap this latest).

Wikipedia summarizes Juno main functions as it follows: "Goddess of the vital force in her aspects of fertility and as warriors, then, under the influence of Hera, of marriage." Juno is Jupiter'wife (and also his sister).

And for Jupiter: "God of gods, God of the sky, light, thunder and lightning. Provider of earthly goods and protector of the city and the Roman Empire."

It's likely a topic to dig about.

Edited by Decan

Ah the rabbit-hole of collecting TdM types  :classic_smile:  I'm not sure I should contribute any more idea here LOL But thanks to everyone for the great resources.

PW

1 hour ago, PathWalker said:

Ah the rabbit-hole of collecting TdM types  :classic_smile:  I'm not sure I should contribute any more idea here LOL But thanks to everyone for the great resources.

PW

Actually, I found your input inspiring since these cards are obviously "forces from above" in some way; likely 2 very strong cards when we use this style of deck. Beside another card they probably could highlight something important I guess.

Thank you - but what I really meant was I shouldn't give any more deck ideas - I have an embarrassment of riches but appreciate it is a never-ending quest if you don't keep yourself in check  :classic_smile:

fire cat pickles
3 hours ago, Decan said:

I forgot to mention a little deck I didn't see, the Heri (1730), it has something "right" (and has a Tarot Noblet style, its little size apart)...

Be careful that you look at the dates when you order. The boxes are very similar: If you want this particular deck be sure you order the 1730!

Yes, true, we need to be careful concerning the Heri since there are 2 different versions.

But I finally chose the Joerger/Jerger, it will be fine with me! It’s not that other Besançon style decks aren’t appealing but… just one! 🙂

Edited by Decan

Below some thoughts to be completed regarding Juno and Jupiter.

Actually just something in progress since there aren't assigned meanings for those cards in the Tarot of Besançon when you don't use the meanings of the Popess for Juno, and the meanings of the Pope for Jupiter, which seems one way to deal with these cards in this deck (no concensus said _R_).

The pics are from the Tarot Jacob Joeger (Tarot Heritage).

JUNON.jpg

Numerology: number 2 (likely significant), "duality or complementarity"

Petit Oracle des Dames (booklet):  "Juno the protectress.
This painting is allegorical. The pride of the powerful people is expressed by the peacock, on which Juno seems to lean. With her right hand, the goddess points to the sky, and with the other to the earth, announcing an earthly religion or idolatry.
This picture is self-explanatory: Juno is the ruler of the heavens. When this painting comes to our right, as well as the 2 previous numbers, it is the sign of great protection. The Queen of Diamonds has the same influence."

From there just some ideas: a very influential woman, a woman of power with acquaintances in high spheres or the wife of a man of power.

Significator card of the sitter? Could be then the card of the female querent (or of a partner, wife/important woman in the life of a male querent).

JUPITER.jpg

Numerology: number 5 (likely significant); I need to check the meaning (I didn't really study numerology).

Petit Oracle des Dames (booklet): "Jupiter or the eternal protector.
Jupiter or the ruler of the Universe, seated on a cloud, with an eagle at his side and lightning in his hand, threatens or calms the earth, whose movements are regulated by him. He is the protector of humans; his sign is in the polar circle.
This painting is the omen of great honours, consultation, fame, protection. It is very beneficial when it finishes the number 7, or when it is preceded by the Sun, which is the universal light. It is explained in various ways; in general he represents the temporal and spiritual leaders of society. The King of Diamonds is of the same significance."

From there just some ideas: a very influential man, a prominent man of power, a boss, a leader.

Significator card of the sitter? Could be then the card of the male querent (or of the partner, husband/important man in the life of a female querent).

Edited by Decan

I thought about this topic and I'm a bit mixed regarding these 2 new cards to use instead of the Popess and the Pope.

Actually it changes the equilibrium, particularly if we use the 22 arcanas only, what people often do with a classical TdM.

So here we lose the meanings of 2 older figures: the Popess and the Pope are elders, Juno and Jupiter are much younger people.

As well Juno isn't passive, she stands on her feet and her arm gestures look very active; nothing particularly "secret" with this card either.

Jupiter is standing, the Pope is too, but he has a strong energy; I don't think the Pope has this energy.

Both Juno and Jupiter look very positive cards, so we can certainly adopt the meanings of protection (protectress/protector) that the Petit Oracle des Dames stresses on its side.

I'm more embarrassed with Juno than with Jupiter since the Popess isn't necessarily a good card in the TdM, but her meanings are important to consider.

It's a situation where we would have to transfer the meanings of the Popess on another card, maybe the Hermit which can have secrets I guess.

It changes the way we look at a classical Marseille if we read what is on the table.

These things are to meditate! But I can understand people who transfer the meanings of the Popess on Juno, and those of the Pope on Jupiter, even if it's embarrassing too because the new cards don't really fit the assigned meanings in this situation.

Hmm... complex! But a beautiful variation of the Marseille!

Share your thoughts about this topic if you like of course! I haven't much to say here.

Edited by Decan