'Fall Out' Shuffling

stephanelli

On 8/21/2021 at 4:07 AM, Decan said:

Or maybe to riffle-shuffle in this case? I don't know if it's easier when someone has arthrtisis or rheumatism.

As I read this thread, I was wondering how everyone was shuffling.  I riffle shuffle and rarely have jumpers so when I do, I use it in the reading.  I seldom use positions so I toss the card into the mix.  

I don’t think that those who aim for jumpers will riffle shuffle. I’ve mostly seen them do a very loose overhand shuffle. But I could technically get jumpers with both techniques if I use a really slippery deck. I have a deck of playing cards that I riffle and I need to be careful with them because they are SO slippery. I don’t riffle tarot cards because I don’t like what it does to the decks, plus I want to shuffle at a slower pace so I can better sense when it’s time to stop. I typically shuffle for a fairly long time so it gets well shuffled despite using the overhand shuffling method. 

1 minute ago, Saturn Celeste said:

As I read this thread, I was wondering how everyone was shuffling.  I riffle shuffle and rarely have jumpers so when I do, I use it in the reading.  I seldom use positions so I toss the card into the mix.

Actually I overhand shuffle most of the time (and there are some falling out at times too 😁 ); I can riffle shuffle since I learnt to do that, but I don't do it often.

katrinka

I have decks I've been riffling for years and they look almost new. It can depend on the stock - some decks will get slightly splayed edges after a few years of riffling.
But yes, I seldom get a jumper, and when I do, it's those slippy decks.

I mostly use jumpers in my readings, but as I get more practiced with shuffling it definitely doesn’t happen as often. Now I’m thinking about coming up with some kind of ritual for how many times to shuffle or cut before I draw because it just feels less special than when they jump out at you I guess.

Edited by Rayenae

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

I have decks I've been riffling for years and they look almost new. It can depend on the stock - some decks will get slightly splayed edges after a few years of riffling.
But yes, I seldom get a jumper, and when I do, it's those slippy decks.

Yup, mine are in good shape also.  The only thing that happens with my decks is they will start to curve but I just shuffle in the opposite direction a few times and they straighten right up.

katrinka

I generally bridge mine and they don't even curve. You can see how it bends them back the other way and keeps them straight:

magicskills36

Jumpers and Pop outs are my preferred way of accepting the message from spirit...

I feel they know my style of reading cards. I sometimes will test it out by fanning out the cards and will pull the same ones that popped out and for me that is a sign that the cards are indeed accurate.

This doesn't happen to me a lot. When it does, I'm in the "peek but don't dwell" school of thought. I'll draw that card and look at it as something that might bring more clarity to the reading, but don't make a huge deal out of it and it's not necessarily the primary focus.

On 7/23/2021 at 10:12 PM, Pretzel said:

It feels different when they jump or are meant to come out. There are times I've dropped a large portion of the deck, but I can easily tell that was my clumsiness.

This is it for me. I rarely have jumpers but when I do it's very easy to tell in that moment if they were meant to come out or not. If one card springs out, almost like something that wasn't me flicked it, I know it wants to be seen. 

Because my method of dealing the cards is *very* intuitive (I shuffle and then run my hand along the deck with my eyes closed and "feel" for which card is meant to sit in each position) if a card pops out during the shuffling process, I will pay attention to what thought I just had as it flew out. If it was a repeating of one of the placements, I'll use that jumper as the card for that position. Or sometimes just as a "shadow card" for the whole spread. Either way, it's just easy to tell for some reason when it's meant to be or not, and for me at least definitely only one card in a spread would do this. Never had a situation where multiple jumpers felt right.

This conversation reminded me, there was a women I knew when I was younger who read Tarot by literally playing 52-pickup with her deck. She'd throw the cards in the air and whatever cards landed faceup she'd create the reading out of. It's not a style that I could replicate but her reading tents were always filled with laughter. It takes all kinds I suppose!

RosieBlack

I'm very new to this, but I don't use it as a method really, if one or two pop out I do note them and add them to my spread but usually I'm only pulling 3 or 4 cards for my spread so if 2 pop out I'll only pull another 2. If loads fall out I don't pay attention to them. I've heard that if any fall out then they're cards you need to see. They seem to resonate with the rest of the reading or serve as warnings so I do take heed of them. But then so far most of my readings have been inaccurate so what do I know? 😄

marinaoracles

If I am going to do a spread with 3 cards or more and one cards jumps out while I am shuffling, I look at it, take a mental note of what it was, place it back in the deck and continue to shuffle. I take into consideration the "jumper" in the context of the entire reading plus the question that I asked. Many times it will even show up in the spread itself, reinforcing its message.  But I don't necessarily consider it to be THE right card.  The only exception is if I was planning to pull just one card for advice or something like that. In that case, the jumper is my answer. 

If many keep falling out then I know I'm just having a bad shuffle day, lol!