Directionality in card images

Pretzel

This isn't about compass direction it's about which way the people in the images are facing and so on. Are they looking at each other; are they all facing the same way, that kind of thing. How you set up your chairs doesn't affect that. And don't forget that not everyone uses significators. I don't for one. I don't use reversals either, but if I were looking to directionality, I would especially not want to. One figure looking at another's feet wouldn't tell me much.

Just now, gregory said:

This isn't about compass direction it's about which way the people in the images are facing and so on. Are they looking at each other; are they all facing the same way, that kind of thing. How you set up your chairs doesn't affect that. And don't forget that not everyone uses significators. I don't for one. I don't use reversals either, but if I were looking to directionality, I would especially not want to. One figure looking at another's feet wouldn't tell me much.

This.
And hurricanes tend to come from the east, BTW, at least in the US. But all of that is irrelevant here.

16 hours ago, katrinka said:

You'd probably like this one, too:

https://smile.amazon.com/Way-Tarot-Spiritual-Teacher-Cards/dp/1594772630

It's psychological and Freudy, yes, but there's a lot of directional stuff. Not just card interaction, but things like the Pages' feet pointing in two different directions meaning they're indecisive. It's certainly worth reading if you're getting into TdM. And he does some interesting stuff with the deck.

That is literally the next book on my list, already acquired.  With your recommendation I'm now certain its perfect for the job! 

2 hours ago, WyalusingTim said:

Hi Pretzel. From what I have studied the better decks have an orientation, rather than straight forward. And when shuffling some cards chosen for the spread should have a chance of being inverted - changing whether the card is orientated toward the East/West or North/South (how your table and chairs are setup influence this too). I am evaluation how much a cards meaning is influenced whether it is first in the spread, surrounded by other cards before read, whether it is the last card read in a spread, and whether it is the Significator. And your concern has to be considered - what is the orientation of the card!

I'm curious.  What do you been by "better" decks?

Also, this doesn't relate to the compass directions, its about what way the things in the card are looking.  I've never had any issues with reading facing any compass direction! 

What Pretzel means is, for example, is the Queen of Pentacles looking at the Two of Cups.

Conversations about "better" decks tend to go poorly so maybe we can skip it in this thread?  😛

I can see using specific spreads that are laid out to include the compass points and all the esoteric correspondences relating to them fitting into the general topic of directionality but that doesn't involve the more specific topic of how characters are facing which might be better described as left, right, up, down, towards the reader or with their back to the reader.  I'm pretty sure at this point that its important in the French tradition just based on what I've read and listened to so far both in books and forums. 

2 hours ago, gregory said:

It's very good stuff - but I prefer Enriquez - he's a little less proscriptive.

And I've got Tarology sitting underneath The Way of Tarot: The Spiritual Teacher in the Cards 🙂    All three books (and their authors) came really highly recommended and I'm looking forward to what all three authors have to say on directionality and the TdM.  I'm sticking to the Conver 1760-based TdM for right now, both a museum replica and Yoav's CBD modernization of it.  Learning all the nuances of TdM directionality, colorization, lines, etc. will probably be a lot easier if I start there and with 3, 5, 7 card row spreads.   

When Jodo's book came out, Enrique thought it was incredible but he didn't want to copy Jodo, so he worked up his own thing.
Jodo, in turn, learned from Tchalaï Unger. Her book is not available in english, but _R_ was kind enough to translate her LWB that came with the Grimaud TdM:

_R_ is simply amazing and it was his writings and translations that sparked my interest in the French tradition and French occultism in general last winter which I've been working through elsewhere for a couple of months.  Thank you so much for linking that to this thread!  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.