Sensations while reading

TheStarOfCups

TheStarOfCups

I hope that I'm putting this in the correct place. I just finished a big reading and I've noticed that while I'm doing my readings I get SO hot. I have to turn on the air conditioner and then when I'm done my body cools down.

Sometimes my hand will also move to pick up specific cards while I'm doing my readings.

I'm wondering if anyone else experiences certain sensations while reading tarot? I once saw another lady say she also gets hot while she's reading tarot but I feel like there are probably countless other cool things that could happen while you're working in all that psychic energy. I'm interested in learning about all of it! So, feel free to reply with as much information as you'd like!

katrinka

I'm glad you brought this up.
I don't consider myself particularly psychic and I don't overheat during readings, but I do tend to overheat in general. I'm always taking some kind of TCM or Ayervedic herb for that,
And yes, I've considered kundalini and the like. It's been a lifelong issue - I was always the kid who passed out on Field Day - but nothing quite fits.
I live in a very hot area, too. But why me and not everybody else? Just walking across a parking lot will have me gulping air and hoping not to fall on my face.
As I've already mentioned, I'm not particularly psychic. My readings are mostly based on logic. I can see visions in crystal balls, but I trained myself to do that. It doesn't come easily or naturally.
So I'm hesitant to connect this to psychism - but what IS it, then? Are certain temperaments prone to card reading and overheating? There's been no studies done that I'm aware of.
Looking forward to everyones' input.

Edited by katrinka

I have weird sensations too. The one that stands out the most is the intense pressure I feel in my forehead. That starts while I am shuffling and it builds up. I use it as a cue to tell me when to stop shuffling. I know that when it culminates and spread into a vibrating palpitation, the cards tend to be ready to answer. Sometimes it feels like someone is quite literally pushing their finger very hard into my forehead and the forehead then goes a bit numb after a while. I did at one point think that maybe there was something physically wrong with me, but I have now come to understand that this is something that is purely connected to divination and vision work for me. It has been consistent for at least 15 years, maybe longer. I can´t really remember when it started. I have also been given an explanation (through vision work) as to why it is happening and what is causing it (it is related to my personal path/ancestry).

I can´t recall ever being extremely warm during readings, though I am not entirely sure that I would have noticed it given how intense the other sensation typically is.. If I were to guess though, I think I am probably not warmer than usual. But I also live in a northern climate so that might affect things. What I do know is that afterwards I have a rapid pulse and will have to work at trying to ground myself. 

Oh, and I am not sure if this is what you were after, but I do have visions and other psychic input during readings. Sometimes at the beginning of particularly powerful readings I will feel like I am plunging down a hole very fast and imagery is flashing before my eyes. I try to take note of whatever I can remember and it has helped me to piece together the overall picture in the cards. And yes, sometimes I hear sounds, sense smells or see things move in the cards. Certain decks are more inclined to do that than others. I have one in particular that I use for this kind of work because the imagery tends to both 'whisper and move'. (I don't think I will mention which one it is because I do not think the actual deck matters, I think its a personal connection that a reader can have with any deck and I don't wish to hype a deck)

Like Katrinka I am a believer that you can work at inducing and strengthening visions or other type of 'psychic/intuitive' input. Having a consistent practice and utilizing certain techniques does work, it just takes time and effort. I have never used any tool or herbs or things like that, but I do use different ´cues´ for altering my mindset. Its a bit like self hypnosis to get things moving a bit faster and for the intuition to manifest in a more consistent way. But that´s probably a whole other topic, suited for a separate thread 😁

katrinka

It almost sounds like you're trying to go out of body with that pressure, Raggydoll!

As for me, if I want to go out of body I require sedation, lol.

There's one more thing I want to mention, kind of a boring thing and certainly not so dramatic as what's been said so far. When drawing stones, like runestones, etc. (and I'm aware that runestones are a modern phenomenon and runes were originally carved on slips of wood) I poke my hand in the bag and wait,

One stone will tingle. A very definite tingle.

My wooden runes don't do this. It's a weird, nontraditional thing, but I've learned to pay attention to it.

44 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It almost sounds like you're trying to go out of body with that pressure, Raggydoll!

As for me, if I want to go out of body I require sedation, lol.

There's one more thing I want to mention, kind of a boring thing and certainly not so dramatic as what's been said so far. When drawing stones, like runestones, etc. (and I'm aware that runestones are a modern phenomenon and runes were originally carved on slips of wood) I poke my hand in the bag and wait,

One stone will tingle. A very definite tingle.

My wooden runes don't do this. It's a weird, nontraditional thing, but I've learned to pay attention to it.

I did once describe the sensation for my doctor because she asked me about neurological symptoms in general. She sent me for a brain scan 😆 But no anomalies found. (YAY). I didn’t mention the whispering images though… or I’d probably never have made it out of the hospital :lol:

I think that tingling runes sound really cool. Rocks have different energy than wood, in Norse tradition rocks are often inhabited by a mythological being or even an ancestral spirit. And if someone ever tells you that stone is a bad material for runes… send them here and I’ll introduce them to this little thing called Runestones 😁 Quite original as it began in the 4th century - prior to the Vikings ! And very traditional, I assure you 😎 

TheStarOfCups

@katrinka
honestly, you might be more psychic than you're giving yourself credit for! Everyone has to learn to work with their tools whether it be cards, or runes, or anything! Just because it didn't come naturally to you doesn't mean you're not working with a large amount of psychic energy. I tend to get VERY hot when I'm sleeping and also I have LOTS of prophetic dreams. I also tend to visit places in the astral realm while I'm asleep. So, I know the heat is because my body is receiving lots of messages while I'm asleep. You're probably just receiving or sending out a large amount of energy at all times!! You're probably very powerful and don't even know it! Don't sell yourself short!!

katrinka
17 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I did once describe the sensation for my doctor because she asked me about neurological symptoms in general. She sent me for a brain scan 😆 But no anomalies found. (YAY). I didn’t mention the whispering images though… or I’d probably never have made it out of the hospital :lol:

Some things are best left unsaid. 😁

17 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I think that tingling runes sound really cool. Rocks have different energy than wood, in Norse tradition rocks are often inhabited by a mythological being or even an ancestral spirit. And if someone ever tells you that stone is a bad material for runes… send them here and I’ll introduce them to this little thing called Runestones 😁 Quite original as it began in the 4th century - prior to the Vikings ! And very traditional, I assure you 😎

Those didn't even occur to me! Probably because they'd never fit in my bag, lol.
But it's not much of a stretch to imagine people carving runes on smaller rocks in those days. Someone almost surely did. We just haven't found them yet.

7 hours ago, TheStarOfCups said:

@katrinka
honestly, you might be more psychic than you're giving yourself credit for! Everyone has to learn to work with their tools whether it be cards, or runes, or anything! Just because it didn't come naturally to you doesn't mean you're not working with a large amount of psychic energy. I tend to get VERY hot when I'm sleeping and also I have LOTS of prophetic dreams. I also tend to visit places in the astral realm while I'm asleep. So, I know the heat is because my body is receiving lots of messages while I'm asleep. You're probably just receiving or sending out a large amount of energy at all times!! You're probably very powerful and don't even know it! Don't sell yourself short!!

If that's the case, I may never know.
In the old tribal cultures, there's something called a shamanic crisis. A person gets very ill (much sicker than my overheating!), and it's understood as a sign that they're being called to be a shaman. So they apprentice for a few years and learn about the things of the "other world."

https://www.pbs.org/splithorn/shamanism.html

In our contemporary culture, they'd just be diagnosed and filled up with medication. They might even be diagnosed with a mental illness. Joseph Campbell talks about that in his books. It doesn't get recognized as a shamanic crisis.

Things outside of a certain framework don't get recognized.

I wish people weren't so either/or about these things. We can use modern medicine when needed and still benefit from things like herbs and old ways of approaching things. I think it should be called "complementary" medicine, not "alternative."

Edited by katrinka

In a lot of energy and spiritual healing systems and therapies, the person receiving feels heat. For example in Reiki or Acupuncture or Qigong, you can feel sensations locally or in your whole body. In those beliefs it's due to the energy channels. So maybe using your intuition / psychic skills / unconscious side of you can bring this up as well. Anything is possible really.

I don't get this but I do get very tired when I am reading for people. I cannot do too many readings in a short space of time. My energy just starts draining away! Also I get very thirsty when reading and need water. That is another thing which many energy healing therapies have in common, it's often recommended to drink a lot doing them.

It's interesting to take note of the sensations you get, maybe they will get easier or less as you become more experienced in reading 🙂

katrinka

I get tired, too, but I blame my introversion. People drain introverts.
The thirst is harder to pin down, though!

StarWanderer

For my own personal readings, I get more of a flowy feeling while I read, like a river in my mind.
Some readings can be slow, like as if the cards are teabags that need to steep into my mind brew.
Others will just be a nice flow, like a busy stream.

However, if I read for others, if I keep reading for awhile, I do get quite warm, even if the AC is on and I have cool clothes on. Maybe it's the energy buzz of knowing someone's counting on me for the reading.

How strange, and amazing. So when I did medium readings I would get this in addition to any sensations attached to how the person passed but with cards I get quite the opposite. I tend to shuffle until I feel a sense of calm with my deck like just this feeling like the shuffle is the art and the picture isn't done until I feel a sense of "that's it, the last shuffle was the finishing touch". And I don't particularly feel anything else but I for sure will be VERY tuned in now incase I do with certain cards or readings. Sorta jealous you guys are so connected to them like that haha. Also please send me the link to where I can learn crystal ball visions! That's really neat and something I've never tried! @katrinka @TheStarOfCups @Raggydoll @DanielJUK@StarWanderer

katrinka

I put together a blog post with lots of good resources. If you're naturally mediumistic, it will probably come to you easily. I had to work at it for a good while!

https://fennario.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/inner-space-the-final-frontier/

But this is the main instruction. Yes, it's dated, but it will get you there.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/26622/26622-h/26622-h.htm