What's The Postman Bringing?

Glass Owl

I'm a little excited.  It's been years since I purchased a new deck or book.  This will be my first Lenormad deck, and I'm looking forward to learning about the cards.

Venus Rising

I’ve got the Golden Girls tarot on its way! It looks so awesome and I can’t wait to play with it 🤩 

plotting golden girls GIF by HULU

QueenOfSpades
On 7/27/2020 at 3:22 PM, Venus Rising said:

I’ve got the Golden Girls tarot on its way! It looks so awesome and I can’t wait to play with it 🤩 

plotting golden girls GIF by HULU

I didn't know this existed and now it is sitting in my cart!

I'm also waiting for the Dream Enchantress Tarot and Joie De Vivre Tarot.

On 7/23/2020 at 12:09 AM, Niobium said:

Oh MAN the Adventurer's Tarot folks got their hard copy proof and shared a picture:

0aad2d4367c7cd05cadadf05be67f3a8_origina

I *cannot* wait for mine.

Nice looking deck...but Death and XXIX (? It looks like a Swords card...) look like paintings, while XXVI has more of a pen and ink look.
Not sure what's going on with the numbering or the different mediums?

So the idea behind it is it's a D&D 5th Edition Tarot Deck. By which I mean, they used Tarot structure to make a deck for playing D&D 5th Edtion.

As a result, the majors are various classes and related, the suits are the various types of NPCs you encounter (The Undead, The Beasts, etc) It's more Oracle than Tarot, truth be told. sort of like the Cosma Visions Oracle, despite being built from Tarot structure, doesn't follow it closely enought that the artist (James Eads) felt comfortable calling it a Tarot.

I'm patiently waiting for a copy of the Pagan Cats tarot, after seeing so many people (even non-cat lovers) raging about it. It's supposedly a very witty and chatty deck!

Also, an extra deck of the Fountain Tarot is on her way.

It is - it's wonderful. And TOTALLY on point. Be sure and look carefully at 4 and 10 swords together when you get it !

To lower the tone - I just received - a new switch for the cement mixer :rofl: 

I am actually also expecting some dietary supplements - but the only DECK (not counting Kickstarters which are kind of random) is a preorder - Tarot del Toro.

@Nanook I follow her on Instagram and it was so fun to see those cards get created! I love that deck its so adorable!

Things that got delivered: An original edition of Dame Darcy's Mermaid Tarot which I have wanted for AGES and missed several of them on eBay. It's amazing - the cardstock is lovely and the colours are beautiful.

Talking of beautiful - Yesterday the postie knocked my door with the Large Version of The Dark Mansion from Taroteca and it's amazing! I bought the standard version with the dark backs a couple of weeks ago and loved it so much I had to have the bigger version before they vanished.

These and Dame Darcy are both going to get a LOT of use! ❤️ 

Ahhhhhh I was literally just admiring both of those decks on my shelf, @Bexter279 when I saw this! I really adore the Dame Darcy tarot, it's a beautiful vibrant deck. I'm doing a thing on-camera tomorrow where they asked me to curate my bookshelf to display stuff that shows off my geeky persona, and I'm tossing a few tarot decks into the mix. I'm going with the Cosmos tarot, the Golden Thread, the Jugendstil (the Japanese art-deco deck) and the Dame Darcy, because they're all colorful and should stand out, and because I feel like they're all a different flavor of niche geek. Was strongly considering tossing the Dark Mansion in there too, but decided the colors might not be bright enough. 

35 minutes ago, bookshop said:

Ahhhhhh I was literally just admiring both of those decks on my shelf, @Bexter279 when I saw this! I really adore the Dame Darcy tarot, it's a beautiful vibrant deck. I'm doing a thing on-camera tomorrow where they asked me to curate my bookshelf to display stuff that shows off my geeky persona, and I'm tossing a few tarot decks into the mix. I'm going with the Cosmos tarot, the Golden Thread, the Jugendstil (the Japanese art-deco deck) and the Dame Darcy, because they're all colorful and should stand out, and because I feel like they're all a different flavor of niche geek. Was strongly considering tossing the Dark Mansion in there too, but decided the colors might not be bright enough. 

@bookshop To me the colours of the Dark Mansion are quite bright and rich  - I'm totally obsessed with it. ❤️ I can see it being my main deck to be honest, especially now I have the big version. 🙂 

Having been very restrained and not bought any new cards for two years i'm awaiting delivery of:-

• Crow Tarot (sound weird and woo woo but i'm pretty convinced my late son visits me as a Raven)
  • Wildwood Tarot (what can I say, I love forests and woodlands)
  • The Stretch Tarot (as a mixed media artist and photographer this deck spoke to me)

All of the above have been on my list for a while.

I've also ordered Benebell Wen's book The Holistic Tarot.

Ooooo.... @WildPlace, that is some loot! I'll be interested on your thoughts on the book once you have had a chance to read through it.

I have just placed an order for the Momento Mori Oracle/Lenormand deck by Claire Goodchild. 

I have been trying to decide between two decks that are on the more expensive end for the past week or so, one tarot one Lenormand. Even though I don't think I'll have to the time to devote to learning Lenormand for a few months at least - I figured I could still enjoy the images and get familiar with them before I start. It will take a little time to ship from Canada anyway. That's my tarot budget blown for the new few months at least! Can't wait till it arrives. 

I seem to be on somewhat of a roll at the moment and have ordered the Morgan Greer Tarot.

@Grace yes i'll let you know what I think of the Holistic Tarot book - it arrived yesterday and i've read the first couple of chapters so far - I also downloaded the study guide from Benebell's website, she has so much free stuff on there!

10 hours ago, WildPlace said:

yes i'll let you know what I think of the Holistic Tarot book - it arrived yesterday and i've read the first couple of chapters so far - I also downloaded the study guide from Benebell's website, she has so much free stuff on there!

Excellent! I've read Benebell's free downloads a while back - they are a great resource, especially when I was first learning. 

I finally ordered a reproduction Thomson Leng, and it should arrive soon:

tarot.jpg
(Image is from https://wopc.co.uk/tarot/tleng )

First, the bad news.

There are two things that rub me the wrong way:
1. Those loud USG RWS-style yellows will take some getting used to. I've always avoided the loud yellow RWS decks, preferring the University Books, the Albano, the Centennial - anything!

2. Coins/Pentacles are called "Pence" in this deck. It makes perfect sense, but the word has become tainted in recent years. 🤮

It's worth putting up with those things for a deck like this, though, and who knows...maybe the yellows are not so loud in person and Mike Pence will fade into semi-obscurity soon.
One can hope. And despite these things, I'm looking forward to this deck!

Now for the good news and rhapsodizing! 💖

It was originally published in 1935 as a promotional giveaway for a womens' magazine in the UK. You can see the RWS influence - some things are almost identical - but some cards are quite different and there are other influences at play. Compare the arrangement of the suit symbols in the 7 of Rods above to the corresponding card in the Knapp Hall, published 6 years earlier:

00leng.jpg.6e0ae9969c8d79bfb97ba860f02c5fa1.jpg

Or maybe they both got it from Eudes Picard. The elemental correspondences are Picard's...I need to find his book in english, if possible. The Fool is a mashup of RWS and Knapp Hall/Wirth. And there may be more at play...

The art is very 1930's, it's my favorite decade and I adore things from that era, from movies to fashions to...well, everything except the appalling racism, grinding poverty and the rise of fascism in Germany. But (with the exception of racism, we still have a lot of work to do to eradicate that) I think that for the most part, people dealt with those things admirably. Of course history repeats and these things are rearing their ugly heads again, but I like having a historical template of what worked. It's a very relatable time.

For those who are concerned about such things, there is no real nudity. All I've spotted is one boob showing on the World card. The Star lady, the kids on the Sun, even the couple on the Devil, all clothed.
I like the face on this Devil. He looks like a Yorkie. 😁

c92c31cd9865b53c9f41c1d75dd12079.jpg

The reproduction includes spreads from the original instructions. Here's one that Mary Greer blogged that looks fun: it has cards you can't look at or "all the favorable indications will be reversed!"  https://marykgreer.com/2009/07/16/the-eastern-cross-spread-thomson-leng-deck/#more-1755

They're interesting, as spreads go, but when the rubber hits the road I don't care much about spreads, and I wish they'd included the meanings, which are available in PDF form where the deck is being sold. just scroll down: https://www.tarotcollectibles.com/store/p148/Thomson-Leng-Tarot.html

Those are the real treasure, purely cartomantic, stripped-down fortunetelling meanings with no filler, self-help pop psychology or new age platitudes. No tough esoteric nuts to crack, either. Here is a bit of sample text:

Capture.JPG.f53924a5283b658d07cb8f777a4e2b66.JPG

It won't be long now. Tracking says I should get it Saturday. 🤩

ETA: That 9 of Swords is more than a little reminiscent of the Sibilla Prigione card! (And Prigione is the 9 of Spades.) On the surface, the Thomson Leng looks like standard commercial art from the era, like you might see in an ad for cleaning products or cigarettes, almost generic. But the more you look, the more references you catch, and the more you realize that the artist was familiar with multiple traditions from the UK to France to Italy - no mean feat in the pre-internet 30's! - and most likely an accomplished cartomante. 

I want to know who this person was. And if they authored the LWB. So many questions!
9s2.jpg

Edited by katrinka

FindYourSovereignty
On 8/4/2020 at 5:32 AM, iMoodyCrab said:

the postman lost my Neon tarot deck 😢

Sorry to hear this. Did the deck get found? 

@Niobium and @CharlotteK, I think the second edition of Spacious is going to be a better product as the Kickstarter first edition the edges chipped easily. I have barely used it because of this. The print was improved to address the problem.

@katrinka, thank you for all of these details on the Thomson Leng and the pdf. 

I received notification that part of a Kickstarter I backed is shipping. It is Mandy Peterson’s Healers of the Earth Oracle. The campaign was her Past Lives Oracle and this was an add-on option. I am not drawn to reading oracle cards straight-up, however, I do enjoy pairing them with my tarot readings.

I also recently had a gifted opportunity to purchase a few tarot decks that were being sold in bundles: Majestic Earth Tarot, Spirit Seeker’s Tarot with Book of Maps, Spirit Speak, and Dreamweaver.

All arriving this week. It feels like a lot to go through, but I couldn’t pass these up. 

Edited by FindYourSovereignty