What's The Postman Bringing?

Glass Owl

Super excited to receive a copy of the Ghetto Tarot. I’m not usually drawn to photographic decks but this one grabbed me. I love the colors and the textures and the idea that you don’t need high-status settings to explore the meanings of cards connected to abundance, wealth, and power. 

I’ve only gone through it once but I love it & am looking forward to reading with it. 

(see pt 2 because of word limit)

Just now, Agnes said:

Super excited to receive a copy of the Ghetto Tarot. I’m not usually drawn to photographic decks but this one grabbed me. I love the colors and the textures and the idea that you don’t need high-status settings to explore the meanings of cards connected to abundance, wealth, and power. 

I’ve only gone through it once but I love it & am looking forward to reading with it. 

(see pt 2 because of word limit)

Pt 2:

I was concerned about issues of “white gaze” because the photographer is a white woman from the Netherlands. But because the deck was made as a collaboration with a Haitian arts collective I decided to go ahead and buy it.

I haven’t been able to find out if they benefit financially from sales so would appreciate more info if anyone has it.

DanielJUK

You should have no max word limit now after 5 posts @Agnes 🙂

There was a very heated discussion thread about the Ghetto Tarot on our old tarot forum which is sadly now archived and closed (not because of that discussion). People were making the same arguments and I have to admit I had real ethical issues about the deck. The conversation was so heated that someone persuaded the creator to come to join and she justified herself. With wisdom and hindsight now I have regrets about arguing in that thread, people from Haiti and Black members of that tarot community were saying they were fine with it. It was a celebration of a culture and the locals benefited. I felt like I argued against them which was wrong. It wasn't appropriation. The locals were part of the project.

This was Alice's post (of the time) justifying it and saying how they were made as part of it.....

https://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=4292201&postcount=85

She paid everyone involved a share of the profits, real money for the work and it was not a charity deck 🙂

You can read the entire thread if you ever have the time, it was a fascinating discussion at the time, although moderators had to keep cooling it down 🙂 -

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=235816

Just posting this here for to know about the deck but it's a little off topic for the thread. If we want to discuss this deck further, let's start a new thread and keep this one on topic 🙂

1 hour ago, DanielJUK said:

She paid everyone involved a share of the profits, real money for the work and it was not a charity deck 🙂

You can read the entire thread if you ever have the time, it was a fascinating discussion at the time, although moderators had to keep cooling it down 🙂 -

https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=235816

Thanks so much!  I'll definitely read that (and move any followup discussion).

RunningWild

I have such lovely friends.  I say that because one of them just purchased the Madhouse Tarot as a belated birthday gift for me.  Something to look forward to!

I’m happily waiting for my Kaleidoscope Tarot deck (from TarotByPeachy on Etsyto be delivered.

But I’m ever-so-excited to work with the Steampunk Tarot deck (from MermaidSongTarot on Etsy) that deck just called out to me so very strongly!

Today multiple postmen worked on improving my collection: The fedex guy brought my Yin and Yang Cat Tarot and DHL brought the Ellis Tarot and the Starbound Phantasia.

Unfortunately I won't be able to spend the time they deserve with them before next weekend.

ellis_phantasia_and yinyangcat.jpg

Edited by Eno

legendaryelement

🥳 Arrived a day early!! 💗

Wizards Tarot (Kenner/Blumen) *from Barbara G. Walker’s collection

Oh my goodness, I was idly looking around ebay before bed last night (as one does) and I found a newly listed lot of 24 decks with a “buy it now” price that I was able to justify. There are several decks I’ve been very curious about, several I will probably pass along immediately, and quite a few I just don’t know much about. And three that are in bags, unidentified!! 

The ones I’m looking forward to the most are Dreamkeepers, Mary-el, Star Spinners, Modern Love, and Mystical Medleys. 

I hope this won’t be overwhelming. For context, I think I have 15 decks right now. 

Editing to add : these all seem very mass market so I don’t expect rare treasures in the bags. But who knows? There are lots of very intriguing mass market decks. 

Edited by Agnes

SlightlyMagic

@Agnes Nice haul! The Mystical Medleys looks great fun, keeping them crossed for you the mystery bags are hiding some gems. You never can tell as some people aren't always aware of what they are selling.

Rachelcat

Since this is a frequently read thread, I'll stick it in here:  Llewellyn is having a tarot sale through August 23.  They have lots of decks and books marked down on their site.  https://www.llewellyn.com/sale_campaign.php?campaign=31&utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=con_tarotsale081622&llewbid=2021&llewzid=342

And, to stay on topic!

Llewellyn has shipped my preordered Trick or Treat Tarot, and I'm awaiting another preorder from them, Notoria: Tarot in Light.

I ordered on Amazon Orien's Animal Tarot and Star Trek: The Next Generation Tarot Deck.

And I backed two Kickstarters, Into the Void: The Black Cat Tarot, and Mythic Cats Oracle.

There's always something coming in!  And I'm SO NOT caught up on using all the new arrivals as decks of the week!

DesertRat
1 hour ago, Rachelcat said:

Since this is a frequently read thread, I'll stick it in here:  Llewellyn is having a tarot sale through August 23.  They have lots of decks and books marked down on their site.  https://www.llewellyn.com/sale_campaign.php?campaign=31&utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=con_tarotsale081622&llewbid=2021&llewzid=342

And, to stay on topic!

Llewellyn has shipped my preordered Trick or Treat Tarot, and I'm awaiting another preorder from them, Notoria: Tarot in Light.

I ordered on Amazon Orien's Animal Tarot and Star Trek: The Next Generation Tarot Deck.

And I backed two Kickstarters, Into the Void: The Black Cat Tarot, and Mythic Cats Oracle.

There's always something coming in!  And I'm SO NOT caught up on using all the new arrivals as decks of the week!

Oooh @Rachelcat Maybe you would show us some pics of the Notoria Deck when it arrives? I haven't seen many online and it looks intriguing. 😃

I had an Amazon voucher so I've ordered Le Tarot aux ramures étranges. It looks interesting, so fingers crossed.

I also have my Mini Gentle Tarot & Guide Book on its way to me, which I'm really looking forward to receiving.

The postman attempted to deliver my Sabotage Tarot, but it needed a signature and neither of us heard the door. ...or they never rang/knocked, our local person is a little, mmmm, something-something. So off to the post office I go.

Edited by Niobium

RunningWild

I picked up the Madhouse Tarot from the post office today (it also required a signature).  What a wonderful deck.  I'm going to have a good time using this one.

Holy Spectrum is back up for pre-order, and I love the new variant (Infinity Edition) enough I ordered it, like a fool: https://www.tarotoftheholyspectrum.com/

There's also a color-your-own offering and I am so, so tempted to get it but convinced myself not to. For now.

Libra 58

My latest, that I remember!

"Ravyness Drakon tarot" By Beth Seilonen.

"Affirmations of the Fairy Cats" by Brenda June Saydak.

"Oracles of the Roses" by Cheralyn Darcey.

I found a lovely new looking deck from Dal Negro, I Trionfi Del Regno di Sicilia, but Dal Negro isn't shipping international just now. 😕 Fortunately, Alida, a shop in San Marino, is! So I shall have a copy Soon<tm>. 

https://alidastore.com/index.php/dn025.html

Super excited, it looks amazing!

Bodhiseed
On 8/24/2022 at 12:33 AM, Niobium said:

I found a lovely new looking deck from Dal Negro, I Trionfi Del Regno di Sicilia, but Dal Negro isn't shipping international just now. 😕 Fortunately, Alida, a shop in San Marino, is! So I shall have a copy Soon<tm>. 

https://alidastore.com/index.php/dn025.html

Super excited, it looks amazing!

That is quite lovely, Niobium! 🤩

legendaryelement

Courtesy of the well-timed Llewellyn sale, the postman brought me these 4 mini decks:

Linestrider Tarot mini
African American Tarot mini (LoS)
Santa Muerte Tarot mini (LoS)
Universal Celtic Tarot mini (LoS)

This is the first time I’ve gotten the wonderful hard, lidded box versions of Lo Scarabeo minis. Hats off & many kisses!

I wasn’t sure how I would feel with the Santa Muerte & Linestrider so the excellent price break allowed me to “take the leap” and I think I am going to enjoy them!

I picked up three parcels at the post office today.

Visconti di Modrone from Lo Scarabeo ("Museum Quality"), with silver and gold foil - what are they huge... 
In reality, they look better than in a photo or YouTube video.

Naibi di Giovanni Vacchetta  from Lo Scarabeo ("Anima Antiqua").

Spanish Tarot by Fournier. Big box, printed in Hong Kong.
Bought as a historical tarot, a version of the Giusseppe Ottone (Piemontese) Tarot.

I had three new decks lately, all starting with an L: Lonely Dreamer, Children of Litha, and Lilifer. I try to keep my collecting focused on art-related decks. 

IN THEORY the 6 mini Broken Mirror decks are on their way. Their tracking system is unbelievably appalling, so I will believe it when I see it,. Thus far - it was mailed on July 18th - but (allegedly) the fulfilment place or whatever was out of stock and didn't happen to mention it to the store - or to me when they said it was "in transit". I complained at the beginning of September. I have a new tracking number - and it was being prepared for dispatch on 21st.... Royal Mail say they have been notified that it is being prepared for dispatch - and - that's been the state of play since 21st.... The store says that there are neber updates till it arrives in your country - so what is the point of tracking - and at least couldn't it say it has BEEN dispatched ? If it has....

On the cheerier side my fourth expansion pack for the Alleyman should arrive today.