On prediction, free will & determinism

Dr_T

20 hours ago, katrinka said:

So even then, the talent is a gift, but it has to be honed. And there's a LOT of luck involved, too.

Yes. Definitely.

14 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I personally find the word ‘free will’ a bit misleading. Our wills are quite conditioned by lots of things outside of our control, and every situation that plays out is impacted by the law of cause and effect on a global level. With that said, we all have many options and we can also influence or impact many things. Some people have more wiggle room than others, and certain choices can increase our degree of power or influence. 

Yes; very much so.  If we look at some of the definitions often cited, they can only apply to 1%. It fails to consider social, political and cultural constraints.

Most of the older astrological texts always warned the student to remember the native’s circumstances and position. 

5 minutes ago, selena said:

Most of the older astrological texts always warned the student to remember the native’s circumstances and position. 

That REALLY needs to be revived. Not only with astrology, but with any form of prediction.
Elon Musk can ride in silly rockets. But most people are lucky to have a car that starts reliably. Many are just stuck in remote areas with no transportation whatsoever. "Free will" is not equal.

I don't know what specific event tipped me into the camp that "we are what we TRULY believe we are" but this precept underwrites a whole lot of things I think about divination, determination, free will, destiny, fate, etc.  

In my paradigm, a very superstitious person who gets a tarot reading predicting something REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD is going to have that experience because superstitious people are especially prone to confirmation bias which is the tendency to cherry-pick information that confirms our existing beliefs or ideas.    It wasn't fate; but was it free will since it was mental program and not choice at play and the person's "truth" may or may not be others observed happening?  

In my paradigm, a very skeptical person who gets a tarot reading predicting the same and is determined to prove the reader/reading wrong is going to prove the reader/reading wrong because sceptical people are just as prone to confirmation bias which is the tendency to cherry-pick information that confirms our existing beliefs or ideals.  So its the same thing, not fate, but not really free will, the subject of the person's mental program which they may not be even aware of.

It is very, very rare that I have ever had a vision (with or without tarot cards in hand) that was a definitive, deterministic 'this is going to happen'.   A year ago today, I did a daily 1 draw reading and came up with The Tower and groaned.  "Nothing good happens when I get that card"  I said out loud.

Unbenownst to me, my neighbor's water heater on the far wall on the opposite end of the apartment had ruptured and water was already leaking into my living room.  Drawing The Tower didn't make that happen and it didn't even tell me what was wrong.  It sure prepared me for something dramatic and out of my control to ruin my plans for the day.