Kickstarter: Southeast Asian Myths & Stories Tarot (The SEAMS Tarot)

BlueToy

I was tapped to be the art director of this project, which was organized by Singaporean Tarotist Rowen Ong. We sourced out different artists from across Southeast Asia to illustrate the myths depicted from our own homelands. It was such a wonderful experience to interact with fellow Southeast Asian artists., and I personally feel it lends a lot of authenticity to the project that the art is created by Southeast Asians living in Southeast Asia, depicting their own cultures.

The acronym SEAMS was chosen because in a way it's related to what we did in the project - we "seamed" together the various colorful tapestries of our own native culture's narratives into one cohesive whole: a tarot deck.

We had a previous launch but it did not reach the target goal - it was our first time trying to run a campaign in Kickstarter, so there were a lot of errors and things we learned along the way. We are hoping it gets funded this time around.

The project's Kickstarter campaign went live last Monday: 

I hope you all can back it!

5 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Yay, I actually posted twice about this deck here today ! 

I think it’s a great project, best of luck! 

Thank you! It was a wonderful experience too! We got to know how much interconnected our cultures were, along the way. 🙂

Authenticity is key with something like this, and it's a lovely deck. And there are stories. ♥️

Edited by katrinka

On 9/15/2021 at 6:28 PM, gregory said:

I thought it had fallen over more than once (no disrespect, but it's one I have been re-backing every time it showed up...)

Technically, this is our third attempt, but the first one was more of an accident. The organizer accidentally pressed the wrong button and the campaign went live way ahead of schedule, so we ended up having to cancel that one.

On 9/15/2021 at 6:38 PM, Raggydoll said:

That’s so cool! I can imagine that it’s been a really powerful process! 

It was, especially from my perspective, since among the bunch, we've mostly been an outlier since my country is the most "western" in the region, having been a Spanish and US colony for centuries.

On 9/15/2021 at 9:14 PM, katrinka said:

Authenticity is key with something like this, and it's a lovely deck. And there are stories. ♥️

I wholeheartedly agree. I do appreciate though, people who draw creative inspiration from other cultures - I have no problem with that. It's when an outsider poses themselves as an expert whose pronouncements are incontrovertible that I become... triggered. 😄 There's lots of that going on nowadays in social media, the identity of particular cultures being gatekept by outsiders.

4 hours ago, BlueToy said:

I wholeheartedly agree. I do appreciate though, people who draw creative inspiration from other cultures - I have no problem with that. It's when an outsider poses themselves as an expert whose pronouncements are incontrovertible that I become... triggered. 😄 There's lots of that going on nowadays in social media, the identity of particular cultures being gatekept by outsiders.

Very true. I think cultural exchange can be beneficial for everyone involved, if it's done with respect and admiration. Imagine how boring music would be if there had been no blending of cultures! But the culture providing the inspiration has to be OK with it, IMHO. No culture is a monolith, of course, but (for instance) an overwhelmingly large percentage of Native Americans strongly object to fake "Indian crafts", so it's best to buy things made and sold by Natives. OTOH, I've never heard Mexicans object to sugar skull decor that's made in China. The objections seem to center around white people painting their faces like sugar skulls. We have to make the effort to find out how people feel about these things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!