Luxa

#22favs - The Fool

Has anyone been watching the #22favs going around on youtube?  I'm really enjoying it!

I thought maybe we could do a forum version of it here, but instead of doing it all at once, one card per week?  I don't have 2 hours at a time to go through all my decks, and I don't have all that many!  So I thought it might be easier to handle with just one major arcana at a time.

You can post as many of your favs as you want, most of us can't stick to one anyway.  I know I can't! ;)  You just pick you favourite of whatever card we're looking at that week, and post it.  No need for a reason, unless you want to give one.

This week, we can start with The Fool.  Doing it a week at a time gives everyone who's interested a chance to join in.

What do you all think?  Anyone up for it? :)

ps, is this thread in the right place?!!  8)

I'd seen some of the videos and it looks like a lot of fun so I'm in! I agree about a new card every week as it would take some time to take out all my decks and look at them and I don't have too big of a collection either (just below 20 decks I think).

This sounds like fun! I'm definitely in as well. When do we want to start it? Sunday is the beginning of the week on most calendars, but that only gives a few days for folks to find this. But then again, once people do start to find the threads, they can always go back if needed or wanted.

And yes, I'd say since we aren't discussing meanings/usage that "Talking Tarot" is the correct forum.

Great, that's three of us!! :)

Well, why don't we start the first week on Sunday with The Fool?  That way, there's a couple of days for people to join if they want, then we have a whole week to ponder our favourite fool cards.  Of course, anyone could jump in anytime, as you mention Trogon. :)

I have 5 on my list so far!  I might be able to knock a couple off the list with a few days to think about it  ;D

By the way, if you have guide books that include pictures of the cards, that might be an easier way to do it for some of your decks.  Check the book to see if you like the card, if you do, pull it and see if it makes the final cut.

I haven't heard of it either, but it sounds interesting... Could someone post the idea behind the tag?

So the idea is basically that you pick your favourite version of each major arcana card from the different decks you own. If you search youtube for #22favs there are a lot of videoes with peoples favourites! And obviously they're kinda long since it's a topic to get passionate about. I hope to pin it down to 1 card for each major but if I'm having a hard time I might opt for top 3 if I really struggle.

Brilliant, more people to join in!  :D 

Sorry I didn't explain it very well.  Thanks Page of Ghosts for doing a better job.  And that's very disciplined of you to try to stick to only 1 card per major arcana!!  The Fool isn't my favourite and I'm still at 5!

Will there be a new thread for our favourite Fools or should I just post in this one once I figure out which ones I like the most? It has The Fool in the title but I wondered since it turned out to be more of a post for expressing our interest  ;D

I think we'll go with this treat, as you say, it has The Fool in the title, and for every major arcana we'll start a new thread.  How does that sound?

I'm still pondering and trying to narrow it down.  We've got the full week, thankfully!  I plan to take pictures and post them, so I need to figure that out too.  Not that pictures are necessary.  But they are nice! ;)

I'm going to really try and just pick three of them!  I think I can say for sure, The Fool in Tarot of the Hidden Realm is one of them. :)

Sounds good for me! I just took out all my fools and they're so many when they're spread out. And I realised I just got over 20 decks last month, now I own 25 including 2 oracles and 1 duplicate  :o

Managed to find all my Fools - I ended up with 3 of them, hard to choose just one out of all the different sorts of Fools!

From left to right: RWS (Centennial edition), Tarot of the Four Elements, Wildwood Tarot. I really like how they're all facing different directions  :D

The RWS Fool is a very romantic character. I have quite a few clones and close derivatives but the original by Pixie is my favourite. I think he looks like a kind of silly bohemian guy who decided to go on an adventure but maybe he didn't plan too well for it. Is that outfit really the best for hiking in the mountains? Maybe not, but I think the Fool doesn't care all that much. He wanted an adventure after all, that's probably part of it! The dog is his trusted companion and might have more common sense than the Fool, heh. I don't mean to rag on the fool though. He has his motivations and his ways to go even if he hasn't all the facts or knows where he's gonna end up. Even with the cliff looming ahead I think his presentation is of a dreamy, optimistic Fool.

The Fool of the Tarot of the Four Elements is a wholesome guy. He's very friend-shaped and inviting and I love him so much for it! The Fool is often in his own world, as seen in the other two cards, but this guy feels like he is reaching out directly to the one looking at the card. I think the book says he's kind of a guide and I feel a lot like that's why he's reaching out. The Fool is sometimes the end of the cycle, sometimes the beginning, sometimes I think both. This Fool I think moves between worlds (the stars, human body, antlers on the head makes me think of it) so I think he's both. He's both your guide and someone new to whatever is coming up.

Lastly the Wildwood and the beautiful, mysterious image of the Fool. This one I think captures the Fools leap of faith into the unknown very well. Is the rainbow a bridge or just made of air? The forest in the background further portays the goin into the unknown, as well as the fog. I don't have as much to say about this as the others, it's just a really good portayal of going somewhere new, into the unknown, and already being on the way since we see the Fool from the back.

fool.jpg.c55e4ee240244117e5b052cbcb11aef7.jpg

I loved seeing this tag on youtube, but I am both camera shy and cameraless. Love the idea of doing it on the forum!

Can decks that aren't quite out yet count? Because I just love the Fool in the Numinous Tarot.

I loved seeing this tag on youtube, but I am both camera shy and cameraless. Love the idea of doing it on the forum!

Can decks that aren't quite out yet count? Because I just love the Fool in the Numinous Tarot.

I don't know about others but I think it should be fine. A few of the videos I saw had people giving a special mention of cards in decks they don't own themselves!

I don't know about others but I think it should be fine. A few of the videos I saw had people giving a special mention of cards in decks they don't own themselves!

I don't see why not! And I love that fool Lantana!!

@Page of Ghosts - nice choices! And I love the explanations too. I'll have to get on this tomorrow, today has flown by!

Ok here goes - and I've managed to narrow it down to 4!  :D

The Tarot of the Hidden Realm

The Wooden Tarot

The Wild Unknown

Dame Darcy's Mermaid Tarot

Not very traditional I'm afraid, but The Fool has never been one of my favourite cards, especially in RWS. Though as I progress in my tarot journey I'm beginning to like RWS and it's clones more.

Anyway, I've chosen two colour, two more monochromatic, two people (well, sort of - merpeople and fairies) and two animals. So I think that worked out well!

I'm still feeling good about my choice but I have a few honorable mentions I want to, well, mention!

I love that the Fool in the Sasuraibito is an old man. This archetype is usually represented with youth, but the Fool's Journey can be taken at any age. I like that this card lends itself to the idea that you're never too old to start something, learn something new, or undergo growth.

But for Fools that do have that image of youth, I like the Thea's Tarot Innocence best. The image of a shirtless child wandering in a field picking flowers really speaks to the carefreeness and endless possibility that this card holds.

As for why I picked the Numinous... Well, it's pretty! But also I like the juxtaposition of the rainbow and the tempest in the distance, along with the connection to transness. Coming out and beginning transition are events perfectly encapsulated by the Fool. My favorite part though, is that the Fool is willingly jumping headfirst instead of just blindly walking off that cliff.

I think I once did something like this on my webpage but rarely, like perhaps 1 card every other month and not sure how far I got.

would be cool to continue it and also to see if my first picks have changed!

I might be a bit late but will post something later this weekend

Before going through all 200+ decks I close my eyes and picture the card, what is my mental image of The Fool?

To be updated  ;)

Well, I wasn't able to go through ALL of my Tarot decks, but went through most of my current favorites. I was able to narrow it down to 4. The Röhrig Tarot, The Light and Shadow Tarot, the Steampunk Tarot (Moore) and the Sakki-Sakki Tarot. (See attachment for a scan of these 4.) It was very hard narrowing it down, but I could only fit 4 cards on my scanner! :D

FavFools.jpg.e96de8d1b82bc9ec17e22e49f8c356b0.jpg

Forgot to add that, like others here, I would also include the RWS fool ... always one of my favorites!

and picked the one that suits me today...haven't a clue what deck it belongs to.

AJ, I like that one too. I found the artist here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/graphixzone101.

I have not been able to go through all my decks yet, and am having trouble making a selection without having done that. I'm kind of a perfectionist, and not in a good way. So in the spirit of conquering some of my not so great faults, I'll make a selection in spite of not having made a complete review of everyone of my decks.  :-\

I chose the Tabula Mundi colores arcus. When I look at the fool, I usually see most Fools lean too far toward the foolish-jump-off-a-cliff interpretation, instead of the starting-a-new-journey-with-innocent-optimism which I prefer. This card also appeals to my nerd-side by showing the Fool about to walk into a wormhole. I love this card, a starting a new adventure card, venturing into the unknown. There are wonders and dangers all around, and the potential for both shows clearly in this card, at least to me.

Fool-Tabula-Mundi-Tarot.jpg?raw=1