Let's Give Swords Some Love?

mainemainemaine

mainemainemaine

I would love to learn more about folx thoughts on the "brighter" or "more loving" sides of Swords (if you feel there are any). Often thought of as the colder suit, I have found them turning up in reads where I know love or positive in the energy for the individuals/couples very much exists. 

So I'd love to learn a more optimistic view of this often dreaded Suit!

Crowley called the Thoth six of swords, which he thought the high point of the suit, Science. At it best the swords energy gives objective judgment clarity of thought. I also remember some one saying what they do depends on how you pick them up by the blade or the handle.

Hey @mainemainemaine I do like most of the Sword cards, well it all depends of the context. In my opinion sometimes our brain plays games with us and clear thinking is needed. Swords will show that. The 10 of Swords is the final ending. Even though in some instances we might not want to see that and would rather want to hang on. Depending on the question, sometimes it is a good thing if it is finally over. Yes of course a blade can cut and leave marks and it can be painful. But sometimes it is good to cut through the crap 😆

Hey! Very interesting topic!

In my opinion, all suits can express and contain good and/or romantic feelings.

Swords can often bring anxiety, worry and hurtful thoughts (as we are used to seeing them), but also well-defined, sharp and acute feelings. The page of swords, for example, can speak of someone who is intellectually enchanted by someone. I can still think about ambiguous/ambivalent feelings, just like the sword. 

Does it make sense to you?

mainemainemaine
45 minutes ago, Yola said:

Swords can often bring anxiety, worry and hurtful thoughts (as we are used to seeing them), but also well-defined, sharp and acute feelings.

Really love this perspective and statement, the “well-defined, sharp, and acute feelings…” it evokes great imagery and depth to be considered! 🧡

and_it_spoke

I'll admit - swords always show up where I don't want them. When I feel like I need some emotional or kinetic feedback... a cold, calculated and practical sword shows up. 🙂

However I find them great when reading for others - a way to find out just how delusional or honest they're being with themselves.

fire cat pickles

Swords are the suit of communication and thought, which most people find difficult to do, especially thinking for yourself. (I'm convinced that many of the world's problems stem from people not thinking for themselves, but that's a political topic!) After all, why do most marriages fall apart, for example? Why do most disasters occur? (Lack of communication.) People find it hard to make their own decisions or are easily led astray. Maybe this is why swords get such a bad rap. 

I'm a "swords person". They will come up time and time again in readings for me. I've started a Deck of the Week study program and so far I've gotten 10 of Swords as my Hinge card and the King of Swords as a daily draw and I'm only on day three!

Back to the Crowley/GD keywords. Yes, they are almost all "bad", but if you look more closely at the Book of Thoth the explanations for them aren't as terrible as the keywords suggest. He leaves so much open for interpretation. And with some of his descriptions, they seem so glum, I get the feeling that there is the dire need for improvement.

Nothing lasts forever. With the swords, there's nowhere to go but up.

As Firecat points out, lack of communication is a key problem in relationships. For me swords are often about truth and honesty - with yourself, within a relationship, in seeing matters clearly for what they are. Swords do have two edges and it's possible to rationalize pretty much anything - it's a weapon to be wielded with great care! But swords can often be about problem solving, clarity, cutting through; finding a way to balance or equilibrium. Of course there are a lot of negative situations depicted in these cards, but to solve a situation we must first see it as it is. I generally like a fairly balanced deck - you do need some light and dark; though I note the So Below deck has a more positive take on most of the swords.

One of my favorite decks is the Kat Black Touchstone. However her Queen of Swords - who has usually been my significator - is the Antonis Mor portrait of Mary Tudor - 'Bloody Mary', and she gives me the heebiejeebies.

I'm new and don't yet know the traditional meanings, but to me, swords make me think of Knights defending something (the Kingdom, the damsel in distress) so they have an element of honour, integrity, fighting for what you believe is right etc. My LWB talks about truth, logic, regroup, victory, escaping, facing challenges, knowing how to proceed, something difficult being almost over.  Some of these things may not be 'good' in the moment, like a truth that's hard to swallow, but at the same time, as the saying goes 'the truth will set you free'. So to me, all of these things have both darker and brighter sides, depending on context.

mainemainemaine
On 5/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, joy said:

Hey @mainemainemaine I do like most of the Sword cards, well it all depends of the context. In my opinion sometimes our brain plays games with us and clear thinking is needed. Swords will show that. The 10 of Swords is the final ending. Even though in some instances we might not want to see that and would rather want to hang on. Depending on the question, sometimes it is a good thing if it is finally over. Yes of course a blade can cut and leave marks and it can be painful. But sometimes it is good to cut through the crap 😆

What a great perspective to bring to it- they bring that logic and reality that is often much needed!

To my opinion swords are the mental side can point something/someone clever smart too they're the fairness and order on things the balance so to me swords are like someone who'll never lie to you someone who'll point out the wrongs who'll point out the shoulds and someone who can put you in order and back in your way if you're willing to listen someone who can point who or what to be careful for i believe they represent those difficult moments on someone's journey the healing process the truths you may need to hear and see to heal and evolve so if you learn to listen see and have that perspective about the swords suit instead of fear anxiety or sadness they can actually start to give you comfort when they appear on a reading cause they're like the darkness just before the sun rises they're like those events you learn and rise up stronger and more evolved and it's actually a trusted  protective and loving suit to me now it's only matter of perspective 

Edited by Aliki

Thinking is an essential part of good and effective living, but there are dangers to it - it can become too complex to be useful and you can get the problem of "paralysis by analysis" (8-10 of swords).

Lack of communication indeed--something my husband is constantly saying is our biggest problem... 😐 

I know what you mean about the Knight of Swords; I look on him as the Crusader.

I try to see the Swords as relating to thought as much as possible. In fact the 2 and the 8 seem to be almost totally about a person's outlook: in the first case, difficult decisions; in the second, failure to see one's options. Knowledge is power. 

And the Page is all about learning to think, to discern, to see far. 

It’s true that some of the scariest cards in the deck are in the suit of swords. A lot of them represent some type of struggle. I like to look at these as challenges. If we’re never challenged, we can never grow. It’s about what you take away from a 3 of Swords moment or a 10 of Swords moment. What did you learn from it? 

KingOfPents

The Swords are really the buzz kill at the party, aren't they? However, I think the following cards in the suit are pretty positive:

Ace - Clarity

Four - Rest and rejuvenation

Six - Moving onto a brighter future

Page - Intelligence through observation

Natural Mystic Guide
On 5/17/2022 at 10:32 PM, mainemainemaine said:

I would love to learn more about folx thoughts on the "brighter" or "more loving" sides of Swords

So I'd love to learn a more optimistic view of this often dreaded Suit!

In my Tarot world, there are no bad cards, there are no scary cards, there are no cards to be dreaded.  Two days ago, I taught a 90 minute class on just the suit of Swords that gave an optimistic view for every Sword card.  That is beyond the scope of a response here on this forum.  How about if I share some keywords: 

SwordsKeyWords:Courts.pdf

Edited by Natural Mystic Guide
added/changed a few words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.