Intro / why I'm here

Hobbit

13 hours ago, Hobbit said:One evidently wants to be sure to use the "friends and family" mode, to avoid fees...

“Friends and family” avoids fees but means the transaction isn’t covered by the buyer protection plan. If I were buying from a stranger — especially an expensive deck — I wouldn’t send the money through friends and family. You could raise the prices you plan to charge by 3% to cover the fees. 

(I’ve knitted so many things using your mother’s stitch directories, which I bought in the 80s! She’s made so many contributions in so many areas of study!)

Yes, I've been reading the paypal lit on that.  It's a little confusing, and selling various one-off personally-owned items is a bit of a grey area.  But I understand the buyer protection bit, and will encourage using "goods and services" mode instead which is also more reassuring to a buyer.  All of this is new to me, and I appreciate all the feedback here.

_H*

9 hours ago, Agnes said:

“Friends and family” avoids fees but means the transaction isn’t covered by the buyer protection plan. If I were buying from a stranger — especially an expensive deck — I wouldn’t send the money through friends and family. You could raise the prices you plan to charge by 3% to cover the fees. 

This. If someone asks me to use friends and family, I tell them no, but I'll add the fees in. Only one seller refused - and lost himself a sale. (The only exception was that lovely Russian deck (Forgotten Legends); paypal isn't allowing commercial transactions with Russia at the moment (sanctions) so I bit the bullet. It took for ever, and I was worried, but in the end...)

Status update:  I have returned home to the Boston area, and brought the entire collection with me, including a well-thumbed copy of Stuart Kaplan's "Encyclopedia".  It is still tightly packed and sealed into shipping boxes, and I can't really unpack it until I do some organizing and clear some space for everything to sit in an accessible configuration.  I'm not going to have anything like the beautiful glass-front display cabinets that my mom has, which are now a melancholy study in bleak emptiness.

The sorting process, before theTetris-into-boxes game ...

Sorting/packing process

But if her living situation has to change soon, that will make things easier.  I may very well be back on the road soon enough, to help with the next phase of whatever life brings her.  I will not have physical access to the decks/books while away, but will still entertain discussions of finding them new homes eventually.

For the car-techies in the crowd, this post from the trip up may be somewhat amusing...

_H*

So ... bit of an update.  I am back in FL again, already.  The decks are all safely stashed in my Boston-area home, but I don't have access to them at the moment.  Mom's mobility and strength are having more issues, and I'm back  here helping with various stuff while she's staying in the rehab center [also skilled nursing] on the same campus.  All of this is a moving target, and we're all in serious one-day-at-a-time mode, but it's clear to both of us that it's time for me to take over running almost all the mundane aspects of her life -- finances, logistics, property maintenance, disposal of various possessions in advance of her possibly having to move to smaller accomodations ... and take as much of it online as I can, so I can run things from back home.

I told her to never try doing finances on the computer, because she largely doesn't know what she's looking at or what to expect ... fortunately, I'm pretty familiar with online banking and tax prep and transaction-type options.  It's still its share of work to set up, not to mention convincing various institutions that I'm legit.  But if Mom never has to look at another dollar figure again, she'll be that much happier.

What's hilarious is that she's been teaching one or two of the caregivers about tarot, and the symbolism and history around it.

_H*

*Long* overdue update on Barbara.

In a very complex process over the rest of September and October, Mom gained back just about all of the strength and ability as before the episode, and possibly then some, as she looks even more confident and steady on the walker now as we stroll around the facility campus together than she did six months ago.  Her brain is clearly adapting better to the diminished physical condition.

I am back in FL again after a shortish time back in Boston, and this time it's the *real* routine visit over the holidays-time that would happen for me normally, as opposed to the three extra ones this past year.  [Other than one recent year off for Covid, we've been together *every* Christmas/etc time since I was born, and we both think that's pretty impressive.]

We arranged for a minimal but adequate schedule of private-duty home care to take care of some things she can't anymore, reconfigured a bunch of finances to be more automatic and remotely-manageable, got rid of various unused stuff, and most importantly got her back into her own independent home rather than doing some big stressful move to assisted-living.  So basically, everything's back to normal.  Other than, of course, that her deck collection is no longer here.

The inventory at bgw.works is being slowly whittled down as I've gotten a smattering of orders, and I've gotten a colleague involved who does a lot of convention-circuit sales of relevant-interest miscellany, like costume stuff, books, adornments, etc.  They will likely have more solid sales channels than I could form, so as things get sorted out and start going to events in selected batches, more of that stock could meaningfully move.

But the most important thing is that Mom's back to basically fine health, all except for the leg neuropathy which will never go away, and has been re-settling in to a decently content lifestyle like before.  And part of that contentment is me being able to come hang out with her in a *relaxed* fashion this time.

_H*

FindYourSovereignty

This is wonderful to hear. I’ve been curious how she is doing and if you were still in FL. Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi, Hobbit! Your mother's deck is a hugely important historical deck, which few others compare to within its genre. I love it and it is one of the few decks so powerful, that I do not yet have.

It's wonderful to hear that your mom is doing well.

Welcome--it's nice to meet you.

Edited by Gnirts