Collectors/Discontinued Decks Yay or Nay?

Aliki

On 11/20/2022 at 7:31 PM, Scarlet Woodland said:

I paid a good chunk of change for an All Hallows Tarot a few years back, as it was a bit of a grail deck for me, ever since I started reading. My Lunatic Tarot and the portfolio edition were on the pricey side compared to their original cost but still around the cost of indie decks these days. There's nothing else I'd pay multiples of the original price for though.

Like others I have accumulated some oop decks over the years, that I either picked up in stores that didn't realise they were considered valuable, or were discontinued soon after I bought them.

Those are great yes i spotted some and some sellers too around that price even though used ones are closer to indie deck prices new can be a bit more expensive except if they're like very very popular price can go crazy even when it's used

On 11/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, Niobium said:

I have a personal limit on what I will pay for anything I find after the fact, and thus far nothing I've wanted has come close to that number. Lately the only deck which might set me back some isn't even an OOP/collector deck, it's just from Indonesia so hard to get hold of and with exhorbitant shipping to boot.

Otherwise I tend to, like gregory, only pay retail/first run prices. (I am still baffled that people pay 4 figures+ for tarot decks. !!!!!) As Raggy said, if you look around on line or in person, a lot of shops will have a copy of an OOP deck they didn't realize was OOP. That's how I got my Solara Occulto, Efflorescent, and a handful of others. (For Stella's I contacted the artist in Japan and she graciously sold me a signed copy. So I never count out that option either--I obtained my Tarot of Lucid Slumber that way as well.)

Somewhat related to this, there's been a trend of tarot creators who, having their decks go out of print and fetching huge prices, are finding and selling remaining copies for similarly large prices. I'm disinclined to purchase in cases like this; I don't fault them for asking what the deck is worth in a general sense, but I expect the deck to be of a quality that commands that price, and sometimes they're simply not. Faulty gilding, tuck boxes instead of 2-part, no LWB or guide...at $350USD or more, I expect a top tier piece of work like you get from Taroteca's LE decks. I can't justify it otherwise, but I know not everyone feels the same.

Oh yes i can relate so much on the crazy shipping prices I'm from greece so almost everything outside my country has ridiculous shipping prices and then there's the customs 💀

On 11/21/2022 at 1:00 AM, Akhilleus said:

If it's an OOP dream deck, of course I'd still try to buy it. If it's too expensive, I'm not averse to flexing dem negotiating muscles. If it fails, at least I tried. I just sob my frustrations away in the arms of my deck collection heh. 

I was stoked to read this as I also have the Renaissance. When I checked it out though, the deck's doesn't seem to be OOP at all. It's still actually available in the USG site. I have the companion book though, and that one is OOP. 

Same 😅 i was searching almost since i started tarot for an original and till i find it 100$ less now i wanted it so bad i even got a reprint a year ago to try it as well 

On 11/21/2022 at 2:42 AM, FindYourSovereignty said:

This was a bit crazy to me as I read your post earlier today and I just went over to Kickstarter and the 3rd and final edition of The Lonely Dreamer is on campaign right now.

Edit: I don’t spend a lot of money on discontinued or oop decks. I will hunt them down occasionally looking for a price I wm willing to pay. I have found though, that the new Indie decks are priced high, IMO, but I keep buying those. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️😊

Ikr they literally cost around like the better oop prices mostly on used ones I've seen so far but so many indie decks look like pieces of art so it's so hard to not buy any so personalized and unique

On 11/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, DanielJUK said:

When I first came to tarot, there were many decks I wanted that were now OOP (out of print) and published before my interest started in a big way! 😩

My big tip on this is to be patient! Maybe put an intention out there of any decks you want but they seem to have found me at cheaper prices than the collector's crazy prices! Back on our old tarot forum AT, people were very kind selling me their OOP decks they no longer wanted that I was looking for. They were good prices and they wanted them to go to someone who would use them. I collect but use my decks for reading. I don't really want a museum collection. So I am thankful for just sometimes luck or just waiting and the decks seemed to find me! Many people were kind to me then, new to the world and tarot decks.

I did make a buying mistake though. I saw a lot of discussions talking about a deck that was now out of print by a big name artist. They reproduced it as a special edition, it was signed and numbered x out of x. It had a special card in each deck, a lovely set for a fan of their artwork. The problem was that I bought it because of discussions about it and I had FOMO (fear of missing out). I don't hate it but it wasn't a dream deck for me. I bought it because of the discussions and this was about 10 years ago, I was more naive then 🙂 . That was the most I ever paid for a deck.

Some decks I have been interested in, have reached insane prices. But then the artist decides to publish a new edition. I saw this with the Moon Oracle and it's sister Oracle of the Radiant Sun. I watched them on ebay going for way too high prices for about a year. Then they had a new edition and I watched the entire price market for them collapse. Another reason to wait it out on fave decks.

There is a deck I really want that is OOP. It goes for 4 figures now second hand. I personally don't think any deck is worth over about $200, unless it's a really historic deck that belongs in a museum. I won't pay those kind of prices for it. So I will just wait, the right moment and right time will come for me to get it 🙂 . It's the Greenwood, I can print out the images from a site (the artist has rarely allowed this for personal use) but I would like to find a copy sometime in my lifetime but in no hurry over it.

But my advice is not to pay really high prices or feel pressured into getting it. There will be other chances and sometimes you get lucky breaks in finding it :thumbsup:

Again buying rare or OOP decks can be about how much you are willing to pay if you don't keep searching for it. Make sure you can justify that it's worth it :78496:

Same i was watching readers and tarot etc for so much time before i started tarot myself i think for at least 1-2 years before so just on that time some decks i wanted got discontinued as well 😅

That's awesome may i ask when you got into tarot?

Yes i believe that too oop decks above or even around 200$ is really pricey for me too and combined to shipping customs etc 😳

Thank you Daniel ☺️

On 11/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, PathWalker said:

@DanielJUK makes a really important point, about getting induced into the excitement about a certain deck, and then finding it doesn't do anything for you.

Because I once bought a collection whole, and through my work making patchwork decks, I have handled lots more decks than I actually have in my collection now.  And some of them were really sought after at the time, changed hands for big money. And whilst they were well executed and so on, they did not appeal to me, nor make me want to read with them!

It is easier if you can actually see the whole deck - Gregory kindly once bought a deck to a meet-up that I thought I wanted. And I held it, and I looked through it, and I went "Oh, thank you, not for me"  :classic_smile:

With time I think we learn more about what we like, and what will be useful to us. And some folks collect a certain artist, or a certain category of decks for their collective interest. So it's hard to make hard and fast rules. But if you can, see the deck and handle it, or watch a card by card video (perhaps without the sound) so you can see what they are like, and if the speak to you.

And enjoy the journey

Oh yes i really get it i always search for reprints besides flip throughs and readers who use them and on that one i want even though I wanted it for so much time seen it and the cards so many times i got a reprint before cause of fear like what if I don't connect with the deck in person eventually? maybe not the original no guidebook or original size but cards are still the same so this really helped to see if i actually want it 

Thank you 😊🙏

Edited by Aliki

On 11/21/2022 at 7:11 PM, FindYourSovereignty said:

I have been caught up in the FOMO, still am, so much so that I even backed the KS for the Lonely Dreamer because of @KiMo’s post. However, I agree completely with @DanielJUK and @PathWalker. I’ve had an embarrassingly large number of decks in my short 4 years of learning tarot pass through my hands and my collection is not only large, it continues to grow. I’ve been blessed with opportunities to obtain decks in bundles or swaps and it grew my collection rather quickly. I am amazed at how many I have released, some I truly wish I hadn’t. Others I’ve obtained at a great price simply because others spoke so highly about it and I ‘had to have it’ - not so at all. Everyone’s tastes are different. Even many of the KS decks I support arrive and they aren’t really all I had been hoping for. FOMO or searching for the next best deck have sucked me in for awhile. Now I am truly attempting to be more discerning by watching full flip thru’s, seeing and touching the cards in person whenever I can, and, even if I do pledge, I am willing to cancel after sitting with it for a few days. Like I did with the Lonely Dreamer. 😊

This must be what it feels like to be at a meeting… good to share and say it out loud. 

I watch flip throughs too before i buy and if i think i need some more in general to explore or for my readings i like watching tarot oracle collections too even though i end up just having a bigger wishlist cause there are so many beautiful decks out there 😅 I'm trying to do that in general too cause i prefer to own stuff in general i really want and like so i get the struggle trying them and see them before buying as well as waiting a bit to be sure before buying works for me so far

23 hours ago, Misterei said:

Some OOP decks I wanted ... selling for $300 on e-bay ... have gone into re-release as 2nd or 3rd edition or whatnot.

So I think sometimes OOP decks for $300 is a pure hype.

Examples: Benebel Wen SKT. The version I really liked didn't reprint ... but a she's running a reprint of a different version which I can buy for $70 instead of $300. So, yeah. I'll just take the reprint, thank you.

Il Meneghello Piedmontese. Going for $300 on e-bay. But I contacted them and they e-mailed me when the reprint dropped ... it's coming in the mail from Italy. Again ... $70 not $300.

Other decks that are OOP and going for crazy prices ... no. I haven't yet seen one I HAD to have for $300+

There's one on e-bay I kinda want that's around $150 .... but I haven't pulled the trigger.

My upper limit on a tarot deck seems to be around $85. And there are SO MANY decks now ... why obsess over an OOP deck, anyway?

Chances are either a better deck will come along, or someone somewhere will do a reprint.

cheers and thanks for an interesting question.

You're welcome yes especially on popular oop that's around 200-300$ or above those are the prices i find outrageous too even for an oop besides that on others especially used ones prices are around of an indie deck and if they're at a good condition and i really like it to me it's ok 

17 hours ago, Misterei said:

Well, TT&M won't let me edit the above post. Hmmm. Anyway, Il Meneghello Piedmontese turned out to be a bust. It's the 22 majors only. *sigh*.

My fault for not reading more closely. I'm disappointed, though. I read with a full deck, not just majors.

OTOH this same deck (Solesio) is available on Make Playing Cards.com for $39. Obvi it doesn't have that Il Meneghello artistry and matte cardstock ... but I'll prolly get it so I can read the full deck.

Which goes to the point that I can buy for $39 ... nearly the same deck as the OOP on e-bay for $300.

Why, Il Meneghello, why? Why did you fake me out with your fake reprint???

Anyway, I wrote them again asking when they plan to reprint the whole effin deck fer f*ck's sake. Except I was more polite };>

I prefer whole decks too cause to me major only decks can only be used for specific readings or readings who require major arcana only so I don't see much point on artists releasing or re-releasing only major arcana decks on most cases

9 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

@Misterei if you ever got locked out and can't edit your own post, just quote yourself and write more. Or just reference it like here, it's what others do :thumbsup:

Yep, that's what happened. I got locked out from editing my own post. Anyway, no biggie ... just wrote a new one. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Aliki said:

I prefer whole decks too cause to me major only decks can only be used for specific readings or readings who require major arcana only so I don't see much point on artists releasing or re-releasing only major arcana decks on most cases

Yep. I've gotten "taken in" twice in the past month on incomplete decks. One was the Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Tarocchino deck. Love it ... but I didn't understand that Tarocchino meant only 62 cards.😡 And then this Il Meneghello Piedmontese that was 22 cards. 😡

My own fault ... caveat emptor ... I gotta read the descriptions SUPER carefully.

But we're Tarot fans. WHY sell us incomplete decks?

Interestingly ... 5 is an unlucky number for me ... and on these unlucky purchases ... the deck numbers add up to 5. Other numbered limited editions I bought ... the deck number adds up to a lucky number and I ended-up really loving those decks.

Go figure.

19 minutes ago, Misterei said:

Yep. I've gotten "taken in" twice in the past month on incomplete decks. One was the Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Tarocchino deck. Love it ... but I didn't understand that Tarocchino meant only 62 cards.😡 And then this Il Meneghello Piedmontese that was 22 cards. 😡

My own fault ... caveat emptor ... I gotta read the descriptions SUPER carefully.

But we're Tarot fans. WHY sell us incomplete decks?

Interestingly ... 5 is an unlucky number for me ... and on these unlucky purchases ... the deck numbers add up to 5. Other numbered limited editions I bought ... the deck number adds up to a lucky number and I ended-up really loving those decks.

Go figure.

Yes especially if they're re releases of whole decks and then they only release the major arcana part it's just so annoying 

Yes that description photos videos and flip throughs always to be sure it will save you so much money 

I'm literally a life path 5 btw 😅🤭 I don't know i think i mostly have unlucky or more dark seasons instead but that's astrology instead of numerology so

On 11/22/2022 at 5:21 AM, Misterei said:

Some OOP decks I wanted ... selling for $300 on e-bay ... have gone into re-release as 2nd or 3rd edition or whatnot.

When I was just starting out, I deeply pined for the Walker. It was OOP and I can't afford it, so I just thought: well if we cross paths I'll be very glad, but if we won't, it's just how it is. Besides, I have plenty of other things that made me happy. Count your blessings and all that. 

Less than a year later, it was re-released by US Games, and it's been widely available ever since. I almost never get backups, but I did for this one.

10 hours ago, Akhilleus said:

When I was just starting out, I deeply pined for the Walker. It was OOP and I can't afford it, so I just thought: well if we cross paths I'll be very glad, but if we won't, it's just how it is. Besides, I have plenty of other things that made me happy. Count your blessings and all that. 

Less than a year later, it was re-released by US Games, and it's been widely available ever since. I almost never get backups, but I did for this one.

That's amazing sometimes i do really wonder if it's the decks the ones who choose us but that's a whole another topic 😅

On 11/21/2022 at 12:00 AM, Akhilleus said:

If it's an OOP dream deck, of course I'd still try to buy it. If it's too expensive, I'm not averse to flexing dem negotiating muscles. If it fails, at least I tried. I just sob my frustrations away in the arms of my deck collection heh. 

I was stoked to read this as I also have the Renaissance. When I checked it out though, the deck's doesn't seem to be OOP at all. It's still actually available in the USG site. I have the companion book though, and that one is OOP. 

I think the Renaissance might have been OOP at one stage, but I'm glad it's in print because my copy is pretty worn and I'd like to be able to get a replacement. As for other OOP decks that come back, that was the case with the Ukiyoe some time ago. I saw that deck on the AT deck list and wanted it badly. I waited some time then it came back and I pounced on it. Patience is a virtue.🙂

It might be easier for you when replying to people @Aliki to multiquote everyone. If you press the + on each post you want to reply to, you can then hit the quote button at the bottom and reply to each in one post 😀

Might make it it a bit easier for you :bubble_bok:

On 11/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, Jasmine said:

It doesn't interest me.  Not a collector though.  I choose decks I feel a connection to and as time goes by let go of the decks I feel I've outgrown. Prefer to work with a smaller collection of decks. 

That's me as well.  In fact I just got rid of about half of my collection—which was pared down from what I'd had earlier as well.  They were decks I had never used, or rarely used.  I gave them all to a newly-opened shop that sells things like crystals, candles, divining instruments, runes, etc. They didn't have any tarot decks yet, and were delighted to get mine.  They have sold several, and kept a few for themselves.  I was happy they found a good home.

I make a point of using all the decks I've got.  Some more than others, depending on the questions asked and my mood.  But the ones I don't use get given away eventually, with only a couple of exceptions.  I still enjoy looking at both of my Wegmüller tarots—the Zigeuner Tarot and the Neuzeit Tarot—although I haven't tried to use them for many years.  (They might actually be worth something, as they've been unavailable for quite a while, and they are a lot of fun to look at.)  And I do like to admire my (as advertised) 'museum-quality' Sola Busca Tarot, but I've never tried using it.  But all the others that I have, I do use, including my very first Rider-Waite-Smith deck which I bought in the mid-1970s at a 'head' shop.  Definitely my oldest deck, followed by my Hanson-Roberts, bought a few years later.

I don't actually have any decks on my wish list at the moment.

Edited by Chariot

1 hour ago, Chariot said:

I gave them all to a newly-opened shop that sells things like crystals, candles, divining instruments, runes, etc. They didn't have any tarot decks yet, and were delighted to get mine.  They have sold several, and kept a few for themselves.  I was happy they found a good home.

That was a lovely thing to do - especially when the shop had only opened. I'm sure they were very happy with your generosity. 

3 minutes ago, Jasmine said:

That was a lovely thing to do - especially when the shop had only opened. I'm sure they were very happy with your generosity. 

They gave me a Hocus Pocus mug as a thank-you!  And yes, I use it.  Little cauldron on feet.  Who could resist.  🙂

4 hours ago, Chariot said:

That's me as well.  In fact I just got rid of about half of my collection—which was pared down from what I'd had earlier as well.  They were decks I had never used, or rarely used.  I gave them all to a newly-opened shop that sells things like crystals, candles, divining instruments, runes, etc. They didn't have any tarot decks yet, and were delighted to get mine.  They have sold several, and kept a few for themselves.  I was happy they found a good home.

I make a point of using all the decks I've got.  Some more than others, depending on the questions asked and my mood.  But the ones I don't use get given away eventually, with only a couple of exceptions.  I still enjoy looking at both of my Wegmüller tarots—the Zigeuner Tarot and the Neuzeit Tarot—although I haven't tried to use them for many years.  (They might actually be worth something, as they've been unavailable for quite a while, and they are a lot of fun to look at.)  And I do like to admire my (as advertised) 'museum-quality' Sola Busca Tarot, but I've never tried using it.  But all the others that I have, I do use, including my very first Rider-Waite-Smith deck which I bought in the mid-1970s at a 'head' shop.  Definitely my oldest deck, followed by my Hanson-Roberts, bought a few years later.

I don't actually have any decks on my wish list at the moment.

4 hours ago, Chariot said:

That's wonderful I'm sure they were so happy and they'll be much appreciated as well ☺️

Edited by Aliki

4 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

It might be easier for you when replying to people @Aliki to multiquote everyone. If you press the + on each post you want to reply to, you can then hit the quote button at the bottom and reply to each in one post 😀

Might make it it a bit easier for you :bubble_bok:

Thank you Daniel I'm still learning the forum 😊🙏