What is your favorite card and why?

SunshineMoon

I loved the comments on the thread I posted about Temperance. 

So, I would love to know, what is your favorite individual card (if from a specific deck, please share that as well). Why do you love this card? What speaks to you about the card? What experiences do you have with the card? What does this card mean to you? 

I can't wait to see what you all have to share!

One of my favorite cards is the queen of wands. Especially from the Everyday Witch Tarot. She embodies a beauty queen on that card and I just love how she’s sitting on the dragon with the flowers.

Also when I first started practicing tarot my cards kept giving me the queen of wands when I did readings for myself. So the queen of wands is now my signifier. Even though I’m not a social butterfly and the life of the party I am friendly, inviting, warm and welcoming. People gravitate to me easily. Which is something the Queen of wands can do, draw people to her without even trying. Also the Queen of wands has a lot of charm and charisma. 

However though when I get that card for men a lot of time it represent a woman a guy will sleep with but not commit too. Also when it comes to looks the queen of wands in my experience is an attractive person. They may not be supermodel pretty but they are nice to look at. 

Also the Queen of wands can be kinda dramatic and mean in her shadow side and she will definitely claw you. She definitely have a fiery fierce side to her but overall I love the Queen of wands my favorite card for sure. 

attached is the everyday witch tarot card. 

B852650C-9F44-403A-A38E-1DBD0B0012BE.jpeg

@TekkieTarot This is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. The black cat on the card wins me over, does it have a symbolic meaning? I really do love this card and the way that you shared the meaning and your story. I am going to look up this deck!

I don't have an absolute favourite, but I particularly like the Hermit card from the Legacy of the Divine Tarot. There's something calm and wise about that face and I really like the way the landscape is integrated into the image. And the glowing crystal (rather than the lantern, which I also like). The card seems to say "the road might be tough and who knows where it'll lead you, but the light of wisdom will guide you". I have some hermit-like tendencies myself 🙂: I like being alone and don't enjoy large social gatherings too often.

iHcBqNgM%2BKiTY8bVbSeNMLn6rJKrphyGvKTQ=&

LotD is about my all-time favorite deck, and yes I too really love this Hermit card.

6 hours ago, Esclarmonde said:

I don't have an absolute favourite, but I particularly like the Hermit card from the Legacy of the Divine Tarot.

In RWS, I think it has to be 6 of Cups.

It's just so sweet.

Plus there's so much to notice!

In a lousy printing, like the normal yellow-box Rider Waite... look at her hair... the first time I saw it, I thought her gold hair was the face, looking way... like one of those rabbit-going-forwards-or-duck-backing-up optical illusion illistrations... maybe she's coyly looking away from him.

She has mittens; he doesn't: Maybe he's ready to touch, but she isn't?

Look at the card... esp. on a low-res version... Is he really looking at her? Maybe he's just smelling the lovely flower, while she looks up adoringly. Maybe she's all about him, but he is oblivious to her.

That guard with the spear, walking away... I love that. They are in a protected space, a courtyard probably, guarded by a guard. But the guard is walking away, and not looking at them, so they are in a guarded space, but sharing an unguarded moment... both literally and figuratively. A special moment. 

Plus there are flowers. Flowers are nice. When I was drawing RWS, I kept getting 5 of Pentacles... lepers struggling through snow... Flowers are way better.

10 cups. I know, I know, boring. But with two small children in the house, one can't expect to have other ideals 😄 I also like 8 pentacles - his focus on work and making something beautiful is astonishing to me. Both RW.  

The Moon, because of mystery and danger, and the unconscious.  I'm down with all that. The Empress, because I know she is my friend and helpmeet, and even though a major arcana, she embraces me.

Edited by BradGad

My favorites through different decks are:

- The Star - I love the magical atmosphere of the card, one can almost hear the quiet and peace of that night hour, it's just precious. In hard times the energy of this card is so healing and peaceful, like a breath of fresh air.

- The Moon - it's maybe not always so positive in the readings, but I often just love the artworks of this card, with its huge moon. Just beautiful. Moon is fascinating.

- Strength - it often shows the character of the deck, because in different decks the traditional lion is often replaced by some other animal or something else, so with new decks I'm looking forward to see how did they depict this card, it's interesting. And I like the concept of strength without violence.

There are other cards I often like, for example Magician, the queens... 

It depends on the deck, but two cards I always assess quickly in a tarot are The Star and the 8 of Wands.

The Star from the Thoth is one of my fav cards in that pack, and I love a lot of the art inked by Lady Harris in A.C.'s deck.

Provided here for your reference.  To me it represents an immensely sacred space.  The other-worldly serenity and comfort only the spirit, and nature, can provide.

Star.jpg

Edited by Wyrdkiss

For me, in any deck, the moon!

I absolutely love The Star from the Thoth deck, it is one of my all-time favorite tarot cards.

Hard question .

To me nothing so stable or unchangeable on life, imagine about tarot cards that I feel a strong connection.

Recently I was very connected with the death card. I think death is a very important concept in nature and life, specially how it transforms anything that surrounds us. There is no life or transformation without death. 

But nowadays I would choose the Star.

Not only because the star comes after a process of transformation, but how its connected to the rebirth itself. Completely nude of old concepts, dreaming about the reality and working on the emotion's. Love the star card. I love writings poems and a lot tarot cards inspires me to write and the star inspired a beautiful about a friend.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:48 AM, Wyrdkiss said:

It depends on the deck, but two cards I always assess quickly in a tarot are The Star and the 8 of Wands.

The Star from the Thoth is one of my fav cards in that pack, and I love a lot of the art inked by Lady Harris in A.C.'s deck.

Provided here for your reference.  To me it represents an immensely sacred space.  The other-worldly serenity and comfort only the spirit, and nature, can provide.

Star.jpg

i Love the Star in the Thoth 

Serpentwand

The Thoth Star is very nice but for me it’s the RWS Moon, which led me into Tarot in the first place.🌛When I used to be Dan Luna (I was secretly thinking Dangerous Lunatic) on an astronomy forum I got obsessed more with collecting old Moon books than actually looking at the Moon itself and then came across the card image. I found this very mysterious and attractive so used it as my profile picture after that and started to spot weird Tarot related coincidences. Like having 18 letters in my full name, one of the names starting with letter 18 in the alphabet, my year of birth adding up to 18, the year I was 18 adding up to 18, while living at no. 18. One day my wife suggested we visit a new place, where we discovered a used record and CD store, but at the back this went through to another unexpected room full of used books. I found half a dozen Moon books there, but the best was one we’d been discussing on the forum only a few days before as it was so rare and expensive. The price - £18.🙀😹

Edited by Serpentwand

It's hard to choose and I think they change, but here are my three favorites (by random order)

1) strength. It's one of the most important concepts in my life

2) queen of pentacles. I'm a woman with an earth sign and I see the card as a positive sign in almost every reading that I do for myself

3) moon. no deep reason but I like the atmosphere, especially in the light seer deck. it's a combination of peacefulness, calmth and sadness that I feel like I relate. 

18-LST-The-Moon.jpg

I honestly can't pinpoint a favorite card.  They're all my favorites. 

Both my personality and life cards are the High Priestess and that one is especially meaningful for me.  Temperance is associated with Sagittarius and I'm a Sagittarian.  And the Queen of Wands represents me very well, too.  I guess those carry meaning especially, but I wouldn't say they're my favorites exactly.

Just a tidbit someone mentioned on a different forum years back is that the Queen of Wands, with her knees spread more than the other Queens on RWS, is more sexually open than the other Queens might be.  That caught my attention.  I wouldn't say that in my own life, my relaxed sexual attitude was anything positive necessarily in the eyes of society or in my emotional health.  For me it was more a matter of emotional and physical survival.  That's a long, sordid tale from a very tough lot in life the first 40 years that I won't go into but I'll just say that I had to separate my self-worth from my vagina.  I don't know how else to say it.  I wasn't a prostitute.  I just believed it wasn't worth losing my life for my "purity" and whether it would be looked on as my being a less "righteous" person was the least of my problems.  I was attractive and I have a good personality---I'm kind of a Pollyanna---so I've always been kind of a Queen of Wands in those ways, too.

Queen_of_Coins

So many interesting cards, but if I had to pick one it would be the Five of Swords. Not the most positive, but very interesting from a design standpoint, and one of the first cards I check out in a new deck. The interpretation can be that victory or success may not always be worth the cost. Furthermore, the concept of a Pyrrhic victory is also historically interesting.

For me, my all-time favourite card is Ciro Marchetti's  The Fool, from the Tarot Grand Luxe deck.

Screenshot2023-08-04at08_37_22.png.348faac8f191aca5f0037f4e0000125d.png

It's not the main image that grabbed me (which I do love as well—a mature-ish adult figure willingly dressed in wacky clothing preparing to enjoy himself and entertain others) but it's the image at the bottom of the card that captivates me every time I look at it.

This is not the usual Fool, gawping off into space, about to step off a dangerous precipice. This is a Fool setting off on an adventure. He is really excited about it, and so is the wee dog!  This feeling of 'escape' from the humdrum (in the very early morning, before anybody else is awake to see him off) is viscerally delightful to me.  

There is no suggestion in this card's depiction that The Fool is making a mistake, or is about to fall into dangerous traps out of lack of awareness.   This card is just about the pure thrill of setting off.  This, to me, is the essence of The Fool. That exuberance, that feeling of freedom.

I love this card to bits. 

Edited by Chariot

On 7/31/2023 at 5:19 PM, Queen_of_Coins said:

So many interesting cards, but if I had to pick one it would be the Five of Swords. Not the most positive, but very interesting from a design standpoint, and one of the first cards I check out in a new deck. The interpretation can be that victory or success may not always be worth the cost. Furthermore, the concept of a Pyrrhic victory is also historically interesting.

Good observation about this card.  I'm glad you said Pyrrhic victory. That's exactly the right term for this card.  You may have won, but you'll pay a price for that.

Edited by Chariot

Queen_of_Coins
On 8/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, Chariot said:

Good observation about this card.  I'm glad you said Pyrrhic victory. That's exactly the right term for this card.  You may have won, but you'll pay a price for that.

Thanks!

That was my thinking behind my version of this card and the choice of image.  In an engraving by Doré for Michaud's History of the Crusades, we witness the French king Louis VII engaged in a fierce battle during the Second Crusade. It proved to be another futile campaign. The Crusaders, ill-prepared and overconfident, achieved insignificant victories that came at great cost to depleted treasuries and armies, sealing their downfall.

Notice that Louis VII is in a dark shadow, indicating that aspects of this victory are shady and cannot bear the light of day.

forum-5s.jpg

Perhaps 'favourite' is the wrong word to describe it, but certainly for me the Tower is the most powerful card.  I don't see it as scary - well, not very - because I've never come across a deck where the whole thing is being swept away.  Very often it's shown as having been built on a rock.  But, whatever its situation, it always seems to have solid foundations.  I see it as an indication of all the unwanted dross being swept away, a chance to put right old mistakes and rebuild something better and stronger, but using the foundations that are already there.  So it's a very positive card.

Death. It has so much to offer. If from ONE deck, Ansata. (edited for typo !)  I LOVE this card.

ansatadeath.thumb.jpg.52fc25446c2ec0a3a9378979053caa80.jpg

Edited by gregory

Natural Mystic Guide
3 hours ago, gregory said:

If from ONE deck

... and what might this ONE deck be, please, Gregory?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.