What's on your mind?

EmpyreanKnight

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is home made sausage rolls and making a few phone calls.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind today is reprinting one more deck of of Oracle 48 - plastic again.

Not sure why, but I think it would be a good idea.

Also, I want to make another Oracle deck so am going to do that and have both printed and shipped to me at the same time - April hopefully.

I think Oracle 48 took a relatively short time to put together like 5 to 10 days so it should be the same for the new one.

Very excited...

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is this:

I need a guy in my life, a bit younger preferably, for my bedroom.

Nothing like a tall person to fetch those high up out of reach things or to change lightbulbs.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is that I can't wait to get home...

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is the perfectionist in me needs to step back and take a break.

Need to reinstall Windows 7, fumigation (maintenance) needs to be organised plus I need to make sure all bed stuff is done before Winter hits.

However, lazy lazy lazy..🙃🙃🙃

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind - Is a few things including should I cook dinner or not later.

Home cooked Corned Silverside or delivered pizza.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind...

Post Netflix documentary """Audrey and Daisy (2016) """ - very sorry to discover just now what happened to Daisy, her younger brother (Tristan) and her mother.

Not sure why some people have such a kindergarten mentality and would choose to hound, torment and single out a whole family when they did absolutely nothing wrong.

DND 🌞

3 hours ago, DownUnderNZer said:

On my mind...

Post Netflix documentary """Audrey and Daisy (2016) """ - very sorry to discover just now what happened to Daisy, her younger brother (Tristan) and her mother.

Not sure why some people have such a kindergarten mentality and would choose to hound, torment and single out a whole family when they did absolutely nothing wrong.

DND 🌞

I just googled this after seeing your post. To too many people women and girls just don't matter - its International Women's Day today and you see so many 'what about the men' posts on social media. Women are expected to be kind, be quiet, move out the way, not make a fuss and if we get attacked it's our own fault for drinking, for wearing a short skirt, for having a ponytail, for being in that place at that time, for whatever can be pinned on us so it's not the mans fault....

katrinka
14 hours ago, ilweran said:

I just googled this after seeing your post. To too many people women and girls just don't matter - its International Women's Day today and you see so many 'what about the men' posts on social media.

We have names for such men. "Incels" is one of them. The others probably wouldn't get past the word filter here.
It's like people who ask "What about white history month?" when what gets taught in the schools IS mostly white history. It's only as an adult that I discovered how many POC invented things or were the first, the best, or the only one to do something. There's something similar going on with women. We did learn about the accomplishments of Marie Curie in spite of that, and how the radiation eventually killed her. I still remember thinking "Ugh, I don't want to do that." I'm sure a lot of us thought that.  That was probably WHY they included her.

But our schools are really bad.

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-schools-lesson-chivalry-asked-130739964.html

Edited by katrinka
DownUnderNZer
11 hours ago, ilweran said:

I just googled this after seeing your post. To too many people women and girls just don't matter - its International Women's Day today and you see so many 'what about the men' posts on social media. Women are expected to be kind, be quiet, move out the way, not make a fuss and if we get attacked it's our own fault for drinking, for wearing a short skirt, for having a ponytail, for being in that place at that time, for whatever can be pinned on us so it's not the mans fault....

@ilweran

The wrong doings towards females is just so unbelievable at times - the change needs to start in the home.

Those boys should have been punished more severely and her family shouldn't have had to cop it like that. Her mum lost her job over it and their house was burned down. 

Years ago, when I studied  Women & Law, some of the cases that came up during that time were absolutely mind boggling - from a prositute in NZ being told by the judge that she deserved to be assaulted for the way she dressed and because of her chosen profession to a wife in the USA (I believe) that angered her husband so much that he set her up to be violently assaulted by his friends as though she was his to do with as he pleased.

International Womens Days is a wonderful way to celebrate women and to acknowledge what they have achieved. 🌹🌹🌹

DND 🌞

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

Hopefully this won't get flagged for "too political" but what would have really been the lesson would have been the "historical non-example", and done a role reversal, with the boys walking behind the girls, etc. Like that would have happened in Texas.

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

We have names for such men. "Incels" is one of them. The others probably wouldn't get past the word filter here.

I've just read 'Men who Hate Women' by Laura Bates 🤬 I knew about MRA's, Incels, MGTOW, PUA's, but when you put them all together in one book... 😱

And there seems a lack of urgency to do anything about it, it's so normal, so ingrained in our culture. I'm a Doctor Who fan, and I've had/seen this argument so many times about her becoming a woman (and you see it in gaming fandoms, film fandoms etc. as well, about female characters), though this is a cut down version with a lot of waffle taken out-

'but boys need male role models'

'and girls need female role models'

'but that's sexist, why can't a girl have a male role model?'

I think that argument explains a lot - girls are lesser, no boy would (or should) to look up to a woman, but girls looking up to a man? Of course they can and should, because that's aspiring to be something better, it's a step up rather than a step down.

12 hours ago, katrinka said:
4 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

Hopefully this won't get flagged for "too political" but what would have really been the lesson would have been the "historical non-example", and done a role reversal, with the boys walking behind the girls, etc. Like that would have happened in Texas.

Full disclosure: I have an almost hardwired compulsion to hold doors open and so on.

Yes, reversing roles would have been a much better way to handle things. Or maybe using mixed groups would have been a good idea. Either way, and quite apart from anything else, the lesson seems to have portrayed chivalry, a complex social and cultural form going far beyond gender issues, in a rather simplistic and caricatured way. I also don't think chivalric ideals always put woman below men on the power scale, sometimes the opposite. Plus the contemporary remnants of gendered chivalry aren't all bad, either: 'woman and children first,' et cetera.

That said, it's rather ironic that the above mentioned unofficial maritime protocol came into being after a wreck off the South African coast, a country with shocking levels of violence against woman and children. If you're a woman and you're murdered here, the by far most likely person to have done it is your intimate partner. (Maybe that's true everywhere?) It's a sad world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Birkenhead_(1845)

The_Wreck_of_the_Birkenhead.jpg

Edited by devin
DownUnderNZer

On my mind today is the Yellow Submarine song. Wasnt that by Cliff Richards?

Also, some fun shopping to do and a few errands.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

@ilweran @Decan

I stand corrected. The Beatles were fantastic though as a band. Legendary icons.

How nice - being played by a guitar. 🎸

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind right now is the glass mixing bowl set I've been waiting for - to come back into stock. Seems like ages and couldn't be happier.

Going there now to get it!

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is doing one more part of a current reading I'm in the middle of doing and watching the sky outside which seems rather grey today.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is doing some stuff on two PCs...

Darn it - my sister just called from NZ and will be here tomorrow!!! 😳😳😳

Need to prepare for her brief visit.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind...

Windy and stormy, but that doesn't stop my intentions to do a mini shopping spree...

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

Litter bugs - that's on my mind.

Growing up in NZ we were taught to keep NZ Green so no littering and if any seen - to pick it up and bin it.

So, that has carried through with me over the years. I find it very difficult to litter and am likely to carry rubbish with me until I can actually bin it.

It is one thing I hope the younger ones in my family continue to practice.

Keeping our natural environment clean is important.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

On my mind is John Edwards, Lisa Williams and Allison Dubois.

That and freshly sliced mango pieces in Greek style yoghurt and natural honey.

DND 🌞