The AOS deck

katrinka

Spare's the person who pretty much created sigils for magic, isn't he? I didn't realise he had created a deck as well.

Yes. And he's referred to as the grandfather of Chaos Magick, too.

He did some serious art in his time. https://www.google.com/search?q=austin+osman+spare&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwid8OzixcXYAhWOzVMKHUC0CZkQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=718

These cards are something he made for himself to be used, rather than shown in a gallery. No perfectionism, more candid, more pragmatic.

And that fascinates the hell out of me.

Apparently Austin Osman Spare's deck has been rediscovered. HAS ANYONE PRINTED IT YET? ? ? ? ?

Feast your eyes on these old images and meanings:

https://www.pinterest.com/ragnarofl/aos/

I know there's a a book http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/lost-envoy/ and of course I'll be wanting that, too - but the deck itself?

Get the book. I have actually considered scanning and printing the cards from it....

The notations on the cards look wonderfully cartomantic/predictive. Some are slightly different from the way I learned, but that's to be expected, given time and geography.  :D

EmpyreanKnight

I just want to ask - are the cards really intended as is, or did Spare wish to eventually make more revisions to the cards, dying before he refined his deck? It has an unfinished air about it, or maybe I just have callow taste. :P

Also - you've mentioned that the cards may have predictive notations. Knowing who Spare is, can the cards have been designed for ritual/ceremonial use too?

This deck has me getting curiouser and curiouser.

I still want the book, I'm just loathe to part with the hundred bucks. Still, I suppose I could keep it spotless and flip it if necessary. An investment, hmmm...
The deck, as far as I'm aware, is not available.

I have the book. Was there a question ?

I believe there is a move to get the deck printed; I forget where I saw that.

ETA reall posted that someone had told her they were working on it.

Edited by gregory

On 12/23/2019 at 5:07 AM, gregory said:

Yes @gregory I would love to have a copy of those cards and was wondering if a deck has been made but I couldn't find it.

On 12/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, gregory said:

yes, last I hear from official publisher they do plan official deck as well 2020 hopefully?;D

best ask them yourself more demand more likely they'll decide to get over with it!xD lol

also if you have book it should be (relativly) easy to make your own deck with pod & photoshop?!;D

7 hours ago, reall said:

yes, last I hear from official publisher they do plan official deck as well 2020 hopefully?;D

best ask them yourself more demand more likely they'll decide to get over with it!xD lol

also if you have book it should be (relativly) easy to make your own deck with pod & photoshop?!;D

Yes, I thought having the book would definitely be a source to print your own deck 😉

I'd have to purchase the book AND a scanner to get the deck printed. Snapping photos with my phone wouldn't cut it.
And I don't even know if the book has illustrations of ALL the cards, in high res, in color. (gregory?)
And so I wait.

I hope that when/if the deck is published, they print it as is, warts and all.
I want pure Spare, not some publisher's reworked, prettied up, neutered and defleaed version.

7 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I hope that when/if the deck is published, they print it as is, warts and all.
I want pure Spare, not some publisher's reworked, prettied up, neutered and defleaed version.

I agree with you on this!  I definitely want it raw ☺️

11 hours ago, katrinka said:

I'd have to purchase the book AND a scanner to get the deck printed. Snapping photos with my phone wouldn't cut it.
And I don't even know if the book has illustrations of ALL the cards, in high res, in color. (gregory?)
And so I wait.

I will look later. But as I recall Starlightexpress was working on making a copy that way and said the dimensions make it very very hard - so I assume so.

Scanning from a book is a PIA and not good for the book. But I agree - no tarting up.

2 hours ago, gregory said:

I will look later. But as I recall Starlightexpress was working on making a copy that way and said the dimensions make it very very hard - so I assume so.

Scanning from a book is a PIA and not good for the book. But I agree - no tarting up.

from what i've seen on pinterest it seems there are indeed all cards in the book?;) @gregory may confirm later!^^ lol

But imo bc those are hand notes/ sketches it's likely *card size/sketches are all different size & proportions as those were personal study notes & not intended for print by OS personally at least not in that stage!;) wish there was a pod back then!^^ lol

Exact reason why it would be hard to fit *standard Tarot size template without tweaking formatting & good old cut/copy/past & reposition resize photoshop And there would be still empty space around borders?;) & We All Know people would not be happy about anything less than *original as is= probably why publisher decided to skip headache (& work !:) & publish book as is!;D

imo good camera is better than scanner as it saves your book!;D but it still require lots of work to formatting but hopefully they'll figure it eventually

btw I remember offering help with *design solutions but no one take me seriously!^^ lol