Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

2 minutes ago, Canid said:

I like to customize my bags according to the deck so I can easily know who’s sleeping where.

A280DC04-18E5-4E5E-AA6A-930B737ACACA.jpeg

Brilliant!!

@Canid They are easy! Essentially 2pcs of fabric the same size. Put them together with the pretty sides (the side you want to look at) of the fabric facing each other and sew all the way around leaving a small gap on one side. Turn it inside out, press and sew the gap closed. You can get as jiggy with it as you want, and once you get that part down you'll be making your own handbags soon! 😉

2 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

@Canid They are easy! Essentially 2pcs of fabric the same size. Put them together with the pretty sides (the side you want to look at) of the fabric facing each other and sew all the way around leaving a small gap on one side. Turn it inside out, press and sew the gap closed. You can get as jiggy with it as you want, and once you get that part down you'll be making your own handbags soon! 😉

I think I may get it now. Thanks! I’m so used to making drawstring bags...

What beautiful boxes and bags ,I love crafts , I will unclutter my Juki how fun . Raggydoll there is something elegant and natural to your choices in materials and colors . 

I’m excited to give this a whirl ! 

1 hour ago, Lefty28 said:

What beautiful boxes and bags ,I love crafts , I will unclutter my Juki how fun . Raggydoll there is something elegant and natural to your choices in materials and colors . 

I’m excited to give this a whirl ! 

Thank you so much! ❤️ I’m happy to hear that you will try it too!! 

LoveLightPeace

I love all of the bags and boxes that you have made @Raggydoll🤩

I made this for my Patchwork Tarot Deck (deck by our very own, @PathWalker).

When I got the deck, I used the ties and felt piece for inspiration and also included them making the pouch / wrap or whatever you want to call it 😛 LOL Anyway, I went through the fabric scraps that I had on hand, and this is the result.

1135181537_patchworkdeckpouch1(1).jpg.7b33437bdec6a09202560be0389b8f05.jpg

1719011613_patchworkdeck2(1).jpg.0923b542b34676becc1b414104ea1fbc.jpg

678131838_patchworkdeck3(1).jpg.070ab589d1cb8f7310096e6f13edad18.jpg

I also make what I call 'deck wraps', that have a pocket for the deck, and enough material that you can do a 3 card reading on it when it's opened up. They're great for when you're on the go, and it gives your deck a little extra protection too. If you want to see pics, let me know and I'll take a few to share. 

30 minutes ago, LoveLightPeace said:

I love all of the bags and boxes that you have made @Raggydoll🤩

I made this for my Patchwork Tarot Deck (deck by our very own, @PathWalker).

When I got the deck, I used the ties and felt piece for inspiration and also included them making the pouch / wrap or whatever you want to call it 😛 LOL Anyway, I went through the fabric scraps that I had on hand, and this is the result.

1135181537_patchworkdeckpouch1(1).jpg.7b33437bdec6a09202560be0389b8f05.jpg

1719011613_patchworkdeck2(1).jpg.0923b542b34676becc1b414104ea1fbc.jpg

678131838_patchworkdeck3(1).jpg.070ab589d1cb8f7310096e6f13edad18.jpg

I also make what I call 'deck wraps', that have a pocket for the deck, and enough material that you can do a 3 card reading on it when it's opened up. They're great for when you're on the go, and it gives your deck a little extra protection too. If you want to see pics, let me know and I'll take a few to share. 

That’s simply gorgeous, and yes - please share pictures of your deck wraps!!! 

LoveLightPeace
18 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

That’s simply gorgeous, and yes - please share pictures of your deck wraps!!! 

Thank you @Raggydoll ❤️ I'll take some pics to share in a little bit. 😁 

4 minutes ago, LoveLightPeace said:

Thank you @Raggydoll ❤️ I'll take some pics to share in a little bit. 😁 

good the simpsons GIF

😁😁😁😘❤️❤️

1 hour ago, LoveLightPeace said:

Love that bag, the colors are gorgeous! Yes please pics pics pics <3

LoveLightPeace

Here are a few of the deck wraps that I have made.

This one has square corners and is well loved. I have been using it for about 3 years. It washes and wears well. It's on the porch with me right now! 😄

1673185212_Deckwrap1(1).jpg.b1f28845f716c67c33ba220a0cbe63dd.jpg2087477050_deckwrap2(1).jpg.dac05a0dad2181e0dacaab104bd9ade1.jpg

I made this one last winter for my Winter Waite deck, and rounded the top corners of the wrap.

1934220335_deckwrap3(1).jpg.dc160e23fc113a56ad0b92305be628f7.jpg1806475581_deckwrap4(1).jpg.59431e7e560736cf2ff60fc8ab4fdc67.jpg

I made this one for my Mystical Shaman Oracle deck. It has mitered corners. Since I took pics of the others open, I decided just to show this one closed. I absolutely love this fabric! 

719724302_deckwrap5(1).jpg.b0f71ba2f1b1d50bcab15986c395771d.jpg

LoveLightPeace
2 minutes ago, joy said:

Love that bag, the colors are gorgeous! Yes please pics pics pics ❤️

Thank you @joy! ❤️ More pics above ^^^ 😄

2 minutes ago, LoveLightPeace said:

Thank you @joy! ❤️ More pics above ^^^ 😄

Great thanks a mill!!! That is a very smart idea, and it seems straight forward! Gosh I want to sit down and start but have so many projects still and not enough time.... ❤️

On 6/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, Grizabella said:

I haven't read all the posts but I just wanted to mention that buying those "fat" squares that are packaged together for quilting make great Tarot bags. I don't remember what those bundles are called but I do remember the "fat" part for some reason. I had some fabric like that a few years ago and if I remember right, each piece of fabric had enough that I could make two bags out of each one.

My sister-in-law gave me a package of women's handkerchiefs a few months ago. Remember those? At the time, I didn't have a bag for my Everyday Enchantment so I took a handkerchief and sewed two sides of it and it just exactly fits the Everyday Enchantment. Then I got to thinking that some of the others would make a nice spread cloth if I sewed some of them together. I did that and then had some left over so I made another spread cloth for my Kipper and Lenormand decks. They all fit right in with the tea house theme, too.

Oh, and there were two handkerchiefs left over so I use those for my nose, if need be. 😛

ETA: I also sometimes make boxes or bags out of cheap old Walmart felt. Old jeans that are worn out are also a good source of fabric for sturdy bags and spread cloths.

I am brand new here and I surfed all over to find a place where I could add something to the conversation and I finally did!

They're called "fat quarters." 

I am loving seeing all of these bags and boxes, I can't wait to try some of the tutorials! These forums in general seem wonderful. Thank you all for being so positive and open.

52 minutes ago, djellyfish said:

I am brand new here and I surfed all over to find a place where I could add something to the conversation and I finally did!

They're called "fat quarters." 

I am loving seeing all of these bags and boxes, I can't wait to try some of the tutorials! These forums in general seem wonderful. Thank you all for being so positive and open.

Aww, great to have you here! ❤️

I'm still unpacking stuff from my move a year ago. Hey----the tortoise always wins---what can I say?

Anyway, I was working on making some Tarot boxes and Lenormand ones, too. When I get some pictures taken, I'll post them. The boxes don't cost much in materials but do require a considerable amount of time to make because I put beadwork on them and the beadwork is time-consuming. The beadwork is done with very tiny beads, some as small as size 15. (In beads, the bigger the number the smaller the bead). I originally intended to sell them but then another move caused me to have to pack them away before I got a plentiful amount of them made and I just found them again in unpacking.

They're obviously handmade. Nothing really stupendous but they're sturdy and colorful and made with a lot of love and care.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, Canid said:

I made a bag today for my new Rackham Tarot. I had some lace I had already tatted & decided to use it...

9620C6EE-6F8A-4D3C-B6E5-E34966B34A18.jpeg

My gosh, Canid, that's absolutely gorgeous! I didn't know you tatted! I don't even know how to tat and I've learned everything BUT tatting over the years I think.

Where did you get your Rockham deck? I've never heard of it but I like it. Now I'll have to go see if I can find it somewhere online. 

OK I found it on Amazon. I'll definitely be trying to get one of this deck. I hope they don't go out of print before I can get one. Has it been out long?

On 6/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, Canid said:

I made a bag today for my new Rackham Tarot. I had some lace I had already tatted & decided to use it...

9620C6EE-6F8A-4D3C-B6E5-E34966B34A18.jpeg

Here are a few. They're mostly not quite finished because I need to make the stitching "go away" so to speak by using an edging like beads or a ribbon or something. And some are my practice ones as I was figuring out what works best. They're quite durable and sturdy, but not as sturdy as a wooden box would be. 

I don't take good pictures and I just have my little camera to use. And beadwork never shows up very well in photos. The goddess box here is made with beads that glow as though an ember were inside each one. The little green Lenormand box accidentally got posted twice, but I meant to show a yellow one with a beaded frame like the little green one. The dsark purple on on on the end is Lenormand size and it's not stained or something---I caught my own shadow in that one. The lighter purple on is Lenormand sized, too. And the picture that looks kind of like Christmas bells is very sparkly, which is why it looks like it's got white dots all over it. That's sparkle.  I thought it would be cool to offer some made to specific sized decks, too, by using the dimension of people's trimmed decks.  

Does anyone think these might be something people would want? 

Oh, and I do another style designed to be stood up on edge or on end to be stored like books, if that makes sense. I'll post some of those eventually. 

IMG_20190725_131149.jpg

goddess RWS size.jpg

RWS size.jpg

framed lenormand 1.jpg

lenormand frame 2.jpg

lenormand dark purple.jpg

OMG! I apologize that they came out so big! They were small when I uploaded them. I don't know how to make them smaller.

Edited by Grizabella

8 hours ago, Grizabella said:

OMG! I apologize that they came out so big! They were small when I uploaded them. I don't know how to make them smaller.

They are great! You can really telling that they were made with love and care! (And I love seeing big pictures, especially when I’m viewing from my phone) 

Rabbithorns

Love the bags in this thread. I finally made some bags for two of my decks: the Dreaming Way and Housewives Tarot decks. I wanted to choose fabrics that match the style of the decks. I recently bought two more decks (WPA art deck and Nicoletta Ceccoli) and have yet to pick fabrics and sew bags for those. Maybe this week.....

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

14 minutes ago, Rabbithorns said:

Love the bags in this thread. I finally made some bags for two of my decks: the Dreaming Way and Housewives Tarot decks. I wanted to choose fabrics that match the style of the decks. I recently bought two more decks (WPA art deck and Nicoletta Ceccoli) and have yet to pick fabrics and sew bags for those. Maybe this week.....

IMG_2461.JPG

IMG_2463.JPG

Absolutely adorable!!!! 😍

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.