Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

stephanelli
7 hours ago, LittleMissMalachite said:

Thank you! I'm on Etsy if you wanted to see more. I really like giving them as gifts with decks inside; I think I'm getting good at not only pairing fabric with decks, but decks with people.

I just went for a nosy...

I really like your tarot wrap idea - the one that magically opens out into a reading cloth, what a great idea!

(I hope you don't mind, if I try that idea myself)

stephanelli

I made a reversible deck wrap and reading cloth!  Basically it's a square with a ribbon on one corner and different fabrics reach side. I'm gonna give this style a test to see how I like it before making more for other decks.  But I love that it folds out into a reading cloth.

This one is for the Mother Mary Oracle and fits both deck and guidebook!

IMG_20200717_195730_6.thumb.jpg.60acfa2c993057b7c6d6c3e997cad1b5.jpg

IMG_20200717_195548_0.thumb.jpg.46d62f711cd37af1cd38e075f234da3b.jpg

7 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

I made a reversible deck wrap and reading cloth!  Basically it's a square with a ribbon on one corner and different fabrics reach side. I'm gonna give this style a test to see how I like it before making more for other decks.  But I love that it folds out into a reading cloth.

This one is for the Mother Mary Oracle and fits both deck and guidebook!

IMG_20200717_195730_6.thumb.jpg.60acfa2c993057b7c6d6c3e997cad1b5.jpg

IMG_20200717_195548_0.thumb.jpg.46d62f711cd37af1cd38e075f234da3b.jpg

What a great idea!!

stephanelli
8 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

What a great idea!!

I can't take credit for the idea, I got inspiration from Etsy (in particular Miss Malachite who posted earlier).  But I'm pleased with it.

I've got some great fabric matching ideas for other decks!

That's very nice what you did gals! Congrats! 💜

I made another one and things are better, so I bought another velvet. The fabric is really floppy (not sure that it is the right word to use); well, to sew it by hand is difficult but with a classical sewing machine things could be even worse I guess, or with a professional machine maybe.

Velvet is fantastic but a hell too! Actually this needs a lot of care.

Edited by Decan

stephanelli
8 minutes ago, Decan said:

That's very nice what you did gals! Congrats! 💜

I made another one and things are better, so I bought another velvet. The fabric is really floppy (not sure that it is the right word to use); well, to sew it by hand is difficult but with a classical sewing machine things could be even worse I guess, or with a professional machine maybe.

Velvet is fantastic but a hell too! Actually this needs a lot of care.

I think technically the phrase you're looking for is "the fabric drapes well".  Also known as a proverbial pain in the neck to sew 😆. Velvet is worth it though in my opinion.

I've been challenging myself by working with knit fabrics recently, so I feel your need to take care while sewing!

7 hours ago, stephanelli said:

I think technically the phrase you're looking for is "the fabric drapes well".  Also known as a proverbial pain in the neck to sew 😆.

Okay I take note of this expression!

Otherwise, yes, I think too that velvet is worth to struggle a little bit with it 😄

To take care is the key for success!

Edited by Decan

20 hours ago, Decan said:

Okay I take note of this expression!

Otherwise, yes, I think too that velvet is worth to struggle a little bit with it 😄

To take care is the key for success!

Ugh I know aaaall about the velvet struggles! I made a shrug thing a couple of months ago with drapey minky fabric which has a knap (is that the right word?) and it drove me absolutely bonkers! The pieces would keep sliding against each other one way but every time I tried to line them back up to fix it they were like velcro and didn't want to move 🤦‍♀️ 

I like the idea of using a velvety fabric for one side of one of those wrap cloth things though. That would definitely be a lot more manageable lol

stephanelli
45 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

Ugh I know aaaall about the velvet struggles! I made a shrug thing a couple of months ago with drapey minky fabric which has a knap (is that the right word?) and it drove me absolutely bonkers! The pieces would keep sliding against each other one way but every time I tried to line them back up to fix it they were like velcro and didn't want to move 🤦‍♀️ 

I like the idea of using a velvety fabric for one side of one of those wrap cloth things though. That would definitely be a lot more manageable lol

Shall I chime with technical sewing words again?

You're right with the word "knap" - although I know it to be spelt as "nap", but that could be a regional thing.  But basically it refers to a fabric with a direction.  The easiest example to think of is the fabric you often get on soft toys - that plush fake fur style one.  Brush it one way with your hand, it smooths down nicely, brush it the other way it sticks up and feels more spikey!

Sorry, I'm good at technical sewing knowledge 😆  (Being an occasional seamstress/tailor and dressmaker helps with that!)

I'd really like to make a silk lined wrap for a deck, similar to the cotton rose one I made.  I'd go for a patterned cotton or coloured wool on the outside and a glorious plain single colour silk on the inside.  I'm tempted to weave myself some fabric for it (with the silk yarn I don't currently have 😆...)

17 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

I don't know if "knap" is the right word, it is absent from my dictionary, and "nap" refers to something else 😄

But what you said is exactly that, the fabric moves and has no outfit or the minimum!

Edited by Decan

A pic of my velvet will be eloquent by itself I think (but I'm sure you already knew what I meant!); it's a reading cloth "in process" 😄

Just below I also posted a pic of the bags I made (you will see the linings too).

My last piece of velvet is nice (sort of blue, they say it's "peacock blue"!) but it really "drapes well" as you use to say!!

velvet1.JPG

velvet2.JPGvelvet3.JPG

Edited by Decan

I've been sooooo bored during this pandemic that I dragged my old sewing machine out of the cupboard and ran up a few tarot bags. I started off with simple flap and wrap bags then progressed onto proper tarot pouches (I even interlined them), then got over confident and forgot to put a strap on one of them lol but that's OK, it's just for me.

I tried to match the fabric to the cards but didn't have a huge selection of fabric to choose from. I'm pleased with them and think I'll make more. Sewing is tricky when you haven't done it for a while!

20200727_154656-01.jpeg

20200727_154936-01.jpeg

Edited by Danvers

stephanelli
3 hours ago, Decan said:

A pic of my velvet will be eloquent by itself I think (but I'm sure you already knew what I meant!); it's a reading cloth "in process" 😄

Just below I also posted a pic of the bags I made (you will see the linings too).

My last piece of velvet is nice (sort of blue, they say it's "peacock blue"!) but it really "drapes well" as you use to say!!

velvet1.JPG

velvet2.JPGvelvet3.JPG

Ooo, nice.  Velvet is so luxurious.

2 hours ago, Danvers said:

I've been sooooo bored during this pandemic that I dragged my old sewing machine out of the cupboard and ran up a few tarot bags. I started off with simple flap and wrap bags then progressed onto proper tarot pouches (I even interlined them), then got over confident and forgot to put a strap on one of them lol but that's OK, it's just for me.

I tried to match the fabric to the cards but didn't have a huge selection of fabric to choose from. I'm pleased with them and think I'll make more. Sewing is tricky when you haven't done it for a while!

20200727_154656-01.jpeg

20200727_154936-01.jpeg

I love how colourful these are, I'm a bit in love with the fabric on the bottom right pouch.  Go you for getting your machine out again!

3 minutes ago, 53rdspirit said:

@Decan, are those hand stitched? 🧐  Wow, if so--such even stitches. {{{ admiring }}} 

Thanks!

Absolutely, hand stitched! Actually I have no sewing machine (and don't plan to buy one).

22 hours ago, Decan said:

Good job @Danvers !!

22 hours ago, stephanelli said:

Ooo, nice.  Velvet is so luxurious.

I love how colourful these are, I'm a bit in love with the fabric on the bottom right pouch.  Go you for getting your machine out again!

Thanks, I'm so proud of myself 😄 and I can save money, no more buying bags and pouches - more money for decks!

The fabric is by Kaffe Fasset, i love his use of colour. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, Decan said:

"peacock blue"

I love the colour! Great bag, and your handstitching is so nice and even! I find handstitching more difficult than machine, it's difficult to stay in a straight line!

On 7/29/2020 at 10:32 AM, Danvers said:

I tried to match the fabric to the cards

Oooh I like the pattern with the strap, nice! Yeah I see about matching fabric to deck, you couldn't have picked a better fabric for the Everyday Enchantment deck!

I think the wrap pouches are my favourite kind. They are easy enough to make and I love having enough space for three cards to lay out on. This is my standard pouch design, I'm especially proud of the the fabrics I matched for this one:

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.cd3f153aef68afb52fef1a4ba011633d.JPG

A while ago I saw some lovely wetfelt tarot purses, they were beautful, but a wee bit expensive. So I gave it a go. I don't have a lot of wet felting practise, I figured it can't be that difficult. I was wrong of course. After two miserably failed attempts and a lot a lot of fibre ruined, my attempt number 3 turned into somewhat usable, altho I don't like the colours really. I had by that time wasted the nicer colours I had in my drawer! My challenges were getting the size right, getting the thickness of the fabric right, and then getting the clasp thingy in. I have to say I prefer something that fits nice and snug around my cards, the felt bag is a bit chunky, I would have liked to reshape the corners to be a bit flatter, but it works. I'm not sure yet if I can be bothered improving tho, it is a lot of work. I might have to go ahead an buy a nice one after all... 😄

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.54f83653831520ab653d7ce52ef8d356.JPG 

Edited by Rupicapra
resize images a bit smaller

11 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

I think the wrap pouches are my favourite kind. They are easy enough to make and I love having enough space for three cards to lay out on. This is my standard pouch design, I'm especially proud of the the fabrics I matched for this one:

DSC_0884.thumb.JPG.cd3f153aef68afb52fef1a4ba011633d.JPG

A while ago I saw some lovely wetfelt tarot purses, they were beautful, but a wee bit expensive. So I gave it a go. I don't have a lot of wet felting practise, I figured it can't be that difficult. I was wrong of course. After two miserably failed attempts and a lot a lot of fibre ruined, my attempt number 3 turned into somewhat usable, altho I don't like the colours really. I had by that time wasted the nicer colours I had in my drawer! My challenges were getting the size right, getting the thickness of the fabric right, and then getting the clasp thingy in. I have to say I prefer something that fits nice and snug around my cards, the felt bag is a bit chunky, I would have liked to reshape the corners to be a bit flatter, but it works. I'm not sure yet if I can be bothered improving tho, it is a lot of work. I might have to go ahead an buy a nice one after all... 😄

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.54f83653831520ab653d7ce52ef8d356.JPG 

😍

On 7/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, Danvers said:

20200727_154656-01.jpeg

20200727_154936-01.jpeg

Those are lovely!!

On 7/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Decan said:

velvet1.JPG

velvet2.JPGvelvet3.JPG

That looks so neat! ❤️

5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

That looks so neat! ❤️

Thanks! Well, this required a bit of patience as you can imagine 🙂

2 hours ago, Decan said:

Thanks! Well, this required a bit of patience as you can imagine 🙂

Oh yes, I can imagine! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.