Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

I am planning on making some more boxes shortly, mostly for decks that came in beautiful but fragile (or really flimsy) tuck boxes. I did the Pagan Otherworlds because I didn't want to ruin the original box, and I felt that it would prevent me from using the deck regularly if I had to worry about damaging the box. I will probably also make a box for the Mesquite tarot and for the Aquarius Tarot for much of the same reason.

They’re lovely! Have you ever made monkschord for the drawstring? It’s really easy.

I usually use ribbons but I have been thinking about trying other things. However when I started making purses and boxes then I kind of stopped making drawstring bags as I preferred the other alternatives better.

It was quite fun to make a more colorful box. It will probably be a trend as soon as I have the time (and money) to invest in some nice colorful papers!

23.JPG.123338e6671e98dfdaced167580adaed.JPG

Those boxes are beautiful! How long does it take you to make one, from measuring right through covering to finished box?

That is an excellent question! I am not completely sure how long it takes - perhaps 2-3 hours? I take lots of breaks and are usually not able to complete a box in one sitting (I have two small children and I try to make my boxes after they have gone to bed). But everything gets quicker with every box that i make and I’m still quite new at this.

I love looking at your boxes, Raggydoll. It's really inspiring to see what you make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, thank you!

Those boxes are beautiful! How long does it take you to make one, from measuring right through covering to finished box?

That is an excellent question! I am not completely sure how long it takes - perhaps 2-3 hours? I take lots of breaks and are usually not able to complete a box in one sitting (I have two small children and I try to make my boxes after they have gone to bed). But everything gets quicker with every box that i make and I’m still quite new at this.

You do an amazing job, I'm inspired! Will you make boxes for all your decks? I loved your purses as well and I want to start with one of those. I even bought the fabric. :) I have a Radiant RWS in a Tin but the tin got a bit dinged from tumbling around in my bag, so I'd like to give it some extra protection.

I took inspiration from this fantastic thread and created a flat-bottomed tuck style box for my pocket Thoth deck, which was previously naked and or rattling around in a large bag on occasion. It was my first attempt, so the card used was far too thin - but I used packing tape to cover it and add rigidity and a bit of protection if it gets lightly wet.

It fits like a glove!

SI_20180215_081516.jpg.21f17d2ba3a14822fa00c49c3f757f60.jpg

You do an amazing job, I'm inspired! Will you make boxes for all your decks? I loved your purses as well and I want to start with one of those. I even bought the fabric. :) I have a Radiant RWS in a Tin but the tin got a bit dinged from tumbling around in my bag, so I'd like to give it some extra protection.

I do not plan on making boxes for every one of my decks, just the ones that have flimsy or fragile boxes to begin with, or the one that comes in one of those huge oversized boxes that take up way too much room. But there are many original boxes that I like and treasure - especially the vintage ones! I really hope you start making some purses and share them with us. I would love to see anything that you come up with!

I took inspiration from this fantastic thread and created a flat-bottomed tuck style box for my pocket Thoth deck, which was previously naked and or rattling around in a large bag on occasion. It was my first attempt, so the card used was far too thin - but I used packing tape to cover it and add rigidity and a bit of protection if it gets lightly wet.

It fits like a glove!

Yay! What a fun and lovely project! Thanks for sharing  :)

I decided it was time to make some boxes for my vintage decks. I have several older decks that are missing their original boxes (or have boxes that don't hold up anymore). I started with my 1972 'blushing fool' RWS and then did my early 1990's RWS. I am planning on making a box for my 1960s university books RWS also.

I scanned images and printed on matte photo paper so I could decorate each box in a way that let me know which deck is in which box. I actually decided to give my blushing fool a brand new "blue box" to live in, and made a "grey box" version (instead of the classic yellow box) for my 1990s deck. I really like how they both turned out!

24.jpg.6d21e021bee1a2aa26f603776d57c62b.jpg

These boxes are beautiful.

I didn't keep the original boxes for my decks;  just put them in bags.  The bags are nice

but it's now hard to remember which deck is in which bag.

Boxes would be much easier.

Really cool! You can also use printable fabric to customize them. I used to do that with bags. Print your favorite card of a deck.

These boxes are beautiful.

I didn't keep the original boxes for my decks;  just put them in bags.  The bags are nice

but it's now hard to remember which deck is in which bag.

Boxes would be much easier.

That’s exactly the reason why I mainly make boxes and not bags these days. Also, some decks get bent when they are in bags (it seems to be a matter of size and card stock)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.