Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

20 minutes ago, midrena said:

This thread makes me feel so inspired! The only related craft I've dabbled in when it comes to needles is crochet so seeing all these gorgeous sewn bags and the cloth patterns make me go wow! I love seeing the way people pair colors/patterns with decks.

By the way TheFeeLion, what deck is that with the two birds on the back? The art is beautiful!

I know how you feel! I'm a bit the same myself 😁

That deck is Fairy Lights, they're great cards 😁

3 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

That deck is Fairy Lights, they're great cards 😁

Thank you! 

And I'm probably going to have to sit and do some research about sewing and sewing machines, just to see if there's a way for me to dabble. Too bad with the global situation right now, I can't run off to a local sewing shop during one of their workshops to see how I get along with it. 

2 minutes ago, midrena said:

Thank you! 

And I'm probably going to have to sit and do some research about sewing and sewing machines, just to see if there's a way for me to dabble. Too bad with the global situation right now, I can't run off to a local sewing shop during one of their workshops to see how I get along with it. 

Welcome 😁

If you can't get your hands on a sewing machine you could always try hand sewing. That Fairy Lights wrap is all hand sewn (my machine broke last year and I can't find parts for it 😭) it didn't take too long either, maybe an hour or two? So all you'd need would be needle, thread, fabric and some time 😁

I'm not caught up with this thread at all, but I wanted to say something about the cheap Walmart felt I mentioned back on one of the first pages of the thread.  I couldn't afford the expensive beading material they call "stiff stuff" so I took Elmers  (any white glue would work, I think) and diluted it half and half with water, soaked pieces of Walmart felt in it, then wrung out the excess and spread the pieces out to dry, turning them every so often to dry evenly, and I used that to do beadwork on. Then I got the idea of seeing if I could make some little stiffened felt boxes for decks and sure enough, that worked, too. I added beadwork and sequins to some and that turned out really well.  Some of the boxes I used for my own decks I just left plain and stood them on a shelf lined up like books.  

Right now I've put my beads away because I'm concentrating on doing watercolor paintings and some writing, but I'll get back to making Tarot boxes and such eventually.  Right now I'm enamored with watercolors, though, and even though it took me awhile to get the hang of it, finally I'm actually thinking I've got something good going on there.  I don't know if I'll ever actually get a deck finished, but it's a thought I've had in the back of my mind for a little while now.

As for my beadwork, I had cataract surgery last summer and, given the choice whether I wanted to be able to see without glasses for far away things or for close up things, I chose to see far away more clearly.  That kind of upset the apple cart in a way because I've always been near-sighted. I use size 15 beads which are teeny tiny ones and now it's kind of awkward to have to use glasses for that work whereas I never did before. I was almost blind in one eye from cataracts but I still did my beadwork with a strong light.  Now I'm going to need to get used to glasses for that.

Just an idea - you can get a bag of shearling scraps pretty cheap.

I got some on amazon, along with a kit of waxed thread, awls and big needles for sewing leather. The shearling has bad reviews on amazon - people complain that the pieces are too small and irregularly shaped. But they're scraps, what did these people expect? And a few of them are big enough to use as a small casting cloth. The rest can work for little pouches and trim.

IMG_20211115_083254604.jpg.54a03e8ff74923246d0cf2e8ab986a94.jpg

I whipped up a quick test pouch last night. I put the wool on the inside and you wouldn't believe how padded this thing is. It would be perfect for little things that chip or break easily. I could probably put my glass pendulum in there and throw it against a brick wall and it wouldn't break. I think it would take a horse stomping on it to do any damage.

There's synthetic shearling available, too. Good if you're vegan.

16 hours ago, katrinka said:

Just an idea - you can get a bag of shearling scraps pretty cheap.

I got some on amazon, along with a kit of waxed thread, awls and big needles for sewing leather. The shearling has bad reviews on amazon - people complain that the pieces are too small and irregularly shaped. But they're scraps, what did these people expect? And a few of them are big enough to use as a small casting cloth. The rest can work for little pouches and trim.

IMG_20211115_083254604.jpg.54a03e8ff74923246d0cf2e8ab986a94.jpg

I whipped up a quick test pouch last night. I put the wool on the inside and you wouldn't believe how padded this thing is. It would be perfect for little things that chip or break easily. I could probably put my glass pendulum in there and throw it against a brick wall and it wouldn't break. I think it would take a horse stomping on it to do any damage.

There's synthetic shearling available, too. Good if you're vegan.

The wool lover in me got very excited seeing that photo!  Scraps are great for tarot pouches.  I've never thought to use thicker fabrics like this though.  Mmmm, creative cogs are beginning to turn...(slowly though because it's still early here and I haven't had my morning cup of tea yet)

I LOVE wool! It resists dirt, wrinkles, and it's fire resistant, too. Amazing stuff.
I think shearling would make a great Tarot pouch, with the wool on the outside or in combination with another soft leather like buckskin. It might even be good for trimming certain fabrics and...knitted or crocheted bags. 😉 I hope you try it out. I think you'll come up with something gorgeous.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, TheFeeLion said:

The wrap for my Dragon Age is now officially completed 😁

20210227_145051.jpg

20210227_145139.jpg

I love this!  It's simple but elegant and it's also a spread cloth.  I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea to make my own wraps now!  I'll post a picture later of a pouch I made years ago when I was kind of muddling through learning to sew bags/totes/pouches.  I was happy with my pouch but it definitely has technique errors.

This is the deck bag I made many years ago.  I made a few more in this style but this is the only one I'm using currently.  I may have given the others away.  It was a little time consuming but I was practicing some sewing techniques that I wanted to get down before I tried to sew some clothing.  The top flap just tucks into the pocket tht holds the little white book, and the Celtic knot is a silver pin that has tarnished.

GridArt_20211215_164632670.jpg

GridArt_20211215_164353354.jpg

10 hours ago, Aeona said:

This is the deck bag I made many years ago.  I made a few more in this style but this is the only one I'm using currently.  I may have given the others away.  It was a little time consuming but I was practicing some sewing techniques that I wanted to get down before I tried to sew some clothing.  The top flap just tucks into the pocket tht holds the little white book, and the Celtic knot is a silver pin that has tarnished.

GridArt_20211215_164632670.jpg

GridArt_20211215_164353354.jpg

I'm in love with your fabric here!

Lovely, I like the pocket for the lwb too!

Compared to the sewn and embroidered bags, my last crochet bags are really naff 😞 It's probably because I used up my yarn stash. Well, at least they keep my decks protected when I shlep them around. I have by now tons of such bags.... most of them are nicer than these. But they're quick and easy to make and functional, so for now, they'll have to do. 

Snapshot.jpg

Snapshot.jpg

Snapshot (1).jpg

stephanelli
On 1/13/2022 at 12:32 PM, Nemia said:

Compared to the sewn and embroidered bags, my last crochet bags are really naff 😞 It's probably because I used up my yarn stash. Well, at least they keep my decks protected when I shlep them around. I have by now tons of such bags.... most of them are nicer than these. But they're quick and easy to make and functional, so for now, they'll have to do. 

Snapshot.jpg

Snapshot.jpg

Snapshot (1).jpg

Don't put yourself down!

These are beautiful!  I particularly love the yellow one, do you happen to remember what stitch you used? It looks lovely!

Thank you! That's the Alpine stitch, very easy. 

I did make prettier bags in the past, especially my cruciform wraps, but I wish I knew to sew....  I did make some hand sewn bags in the past and it was actually not difficult. I even knew to embroider once but my hands can't do that any more. 

Maxpphire

So I don't make my own, but I do modify a card game aftermarket deck box to make basically a travel case. It can fit a sleeved deck, cloth, and whatever else you use for your readings (I use dice in mine).

Can fit unsleeved decks too, but since I sleeve my decks, they don't fit in their original boxes anymore and I had to come up with a solution, and thus this happened.

What a fun topic. I sew a lot and I have a couple of naked decks. It’s really nice to see so many different styles of boxes and bags. 

Seeing and reading these are pretty inspiring to make my own pouches and wraps - and without a sewing machine, I would need to do these by hand. But maybe that’s a better touch to it.

One thing I have yet to decide, though, is whether to use silk or felt as the lining. Some tutorials say silk, and others say felt. Is there any benefit of one over the other, or is it just what feels right?

Totally going to follow this thread though, a treasure trove of creativity!

Edited by Mirath

First attempt, and I’m pretty pleased with how this turned out! The fabric was almost too pretty not to use.

It’s a bit small for my RWS deck, and a bit too big for my Mini Steampunk deck (I bet it’s really been made for poker-size cards, so might hold my cocktail cards perfectly!), but I learnt a lot from it. And all hand-sewn too!

2BA5B2DD-D713-465E-AA7E-A8A0C74E9B87.thumb.jpeg.6e8571335daa7e85931c2a96e766daa3.jpeg

34DD7602-4D51-46DA-AB2E-FB039B5CA095.thumb.jpeg.83910801d7530f2fdec2c19efd9378bd.jpeg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers, who so kindly support our forum.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!