Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

20 minutes ago, midrena said:

This thread makes me feel so inspired! The only related craft I've dabbled in when it comes to needles is crochet so seeing all these gorgeous sewn bags and the cloth patterns make me go wow! I love seeing the way people pair colors/patterns with decks.

By the way TheFeeLion, what deck is that with the two birds on the back? The art is beautiful!

I know how you feel! I'm a bit the same myself 😁

That deck is Fairy Lights, they're great cards 😁

midrena
3 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

That deck is Fairy Lights, they're great cards 😁

Thank you! 

And I'm probably going to have to sit and do some research about sewing and sewing machines, just to see if there's a way for me to dabble. Too bad with the global situation right now, I can't run off to a local sewing shop during one of their workshops to see how I get along with it. 

2 minutes ago, midrena said:

Thank you! 

And I'm probably going to have to sit and do some research about sewing and sewing machines, just to see if there's a way for me to dabble. Too bad with the global situation right now, I can't run off to a local sewing shop during one of their workshops to see how I get along with it. 

Welcome 😁

If you can't get your hands on a sewing machine you could always try hand sewing. That Fairy Lights wrap is all hand sewn (my machine broke last year and I can't find parts for it 😭) it didn't take too long either, maybe an hour or two? So all you'd need would be needle, thread, fabric and some time 😁

I'm not caught up with this thread at all, but I wanted to say something about the cheap Walmart felt I mentioned back on one of the first pages of the thread.  I couldn't afford the expensive beading material they call "stiff stuff" so I took Elmers  (any white glue would work, I think) and diluted it half and half with water, soaked pieces of Walmart felt in it, then wrung out the excess and spread the pieces out to dry, turning them every so often to dry evenly, and I used that to do beadwork on. Then I got the idea of seeing if I could make some little stiffened felt boxes for decks and sure enough, that worked, too. I added beadwork and sequins to some and that turned out really well.  Some of the boxes I used for my own decks I just left plain and stood them on a shelf lined up like books.  

Right now I've put my beads away because I'm concentrating on doing watercolor paintings and some writing, but I'll get back to making Tarot boxes and such eventually.  Right now I'm enamored with watercolors, though, and even though it took me awhile to get the hang of it, finally I'm actually thinking I've got something good going on there.  I don't know if I'll ever actually get a deck finished, but it's a thought I've had in the back of my mind for a little while now.

As for my beadwork, I had cataract surgery last summer and, given the choice whether I wanted to be able to see without glasses for far away things or for close up things, I chose to see far away more clearly.  That kind of upset the apple cart in a way because I've always been near-sighted. I use size 15 beads which are teeny tiny ones and now it's kind of awkward to have to use glasses for that work whereas I never did before. I was almost blind in one eye from cataracts but I still did my beadwork with a strong light.  Now I'm going to need to get used to glasses for that.