Raggydoll

Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll, I love your little purses. I've been thinking about something along those lines for my decks. 2 out of 3 of them came in large-ish boxes with their books but I'm finding them bulky and awkward. And my Centennial RWS deck is in a flimsy little box and I'm finding that's the one that is becoming my go-to currently, so I foresee the that disintegrating here pretty quickly. Thanks for inspiring me to go take a look in my stash and see what hits me. I firmly believe that the right thing comes along at the right time, it's all only about acting on the inspiration! Oooooh, I think I might add an interior pocket for the LWB too! 💡

I forgot to mention this, Raggydoll, but I like the way the lining on some of the bags shows just enough to look like piping.

And I took the plunge off the deep end. Got the machine - it runs well, but OMG, the bobbin is plastic! What's this world coming to?
Anyway, I'm very slowly and carefully working on a Hooverette. I'm taking a lot of time because I don't trust myself not to make some stupid irreparable mistake yet, and good fabric is not cheap.

I'll have enough fabric left over for bags. It's light, summerweight stuff (lawn and seersucker) so I'll probably double it. Maybe even pad it a little, make it kind of quilted.

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

the bobbin is plastic! What's this world coming to?

LOL  My reaction too, Katrinka!  I hate plastic bobbins but I have them now for my new Brother.  Oh well. 😞

5 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

Raggydoll, I love your little purses. I've been thinking about something along those lines for my decks. 2 out of 3 of them came in large-ish boxes with their books but I'm finding them bulky and awkward. And my Centennial RWS deck is in a flimsy little box and I'm finding that's the one that is becoming my go-to currently, so I foresee the that disintegrating here pretty quickly. Thanks for inspiring me to go take a look in my stash and see what hits me. I firmly believe that the right thing comes along at the right time, it's all only about acting on the inspiration! Oooooh, I think I might add an interior pocket for the LWB too! 💡

That’s a brilliant idea to add an interior pocket for the LWB!!! 

4 hours ago, katrinka said:

I forgot to mention this, Raggydoll, but I like the way the lining on some of the bags shows just enough to look like piping.

And I took the plunge off the deep end. Got the machine - it runs well, but OMG, the bobbin is plastic! What's this world coming to?
Anyway, I'm very slowly and carefully working on a Hooverette. I'm taking a lot of time because I don't trust myself not to make some stupid irreparable mistake yet, and good fabric is not cheap.

I'll have enough fabric left over for bags. It's light, summerweight stuff (lawn and seersucker) so I'll probably double it. Maybe even pad it a little, make it kind of quilted.

Thank you so much for the update!! Really hoping for pictures eventually ☺️😀

3 hours ago, Saturn Celeste said:

LOL  My reaction too, Katrinka!  I hate plastic bobbins but I have them now for my new Brother.  Oh well. 😞

Mine is plastic too. And it’s pretty crappy quality on those bobbins 

Pictures when I finally finish something!
And yes, those little plastic things feel cheap. I'm going to order extra because I'm sure they don't last, but every order is going to be noted with a complaint!
It's too bad because other than the plastic bobbin and the silly horizontal spool rod (another "WHY???"), I really like this machine. It's got some serious power and it'll do heavier fabrics pretty easily when the time comes.

21 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Pictures when I finally finish something!
And yes, those little plastic things feel cheap. I'm going to order extra because I'm sure they don't last, but every order is going to be noted with a complaint!

Mine hasn't ever broken, they just don’t spin as smoothly. 

21 minutes ago, katrinka said:

It's too bad because other than the plastic bobbin and the silly horizontal spool rod (another "WHY???"), I really like this machine. It's got some serious power and it'll do heavier fabrics pretty easily when the time comes.

I hope it will be sturdy enough for you. My machine was not an expensive one. My mom gifted it to me over 15 years ago and it is still runnning. Maybe I was lucky. Hopefully you’re lucky too 🙂

Mine was inexpensive, too. A Singer 4411.
If it lasts, good. If it doesn't, I'll hunt down a vintage one with metal bobbins and a vertical spool rod.
Win/win. 😉

41 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Mine was inexpensive, too. A Singer 4411.
If it lasts, good. If it doesn't, I'll hunt down a vintage one with metal bobbins and a vertical spool rod.
Win/win. 😉

Plastic bobbins and horizontal spool pins aren't the end of the world. 

My machine has a side loading bobbin so its a plastic bobbin that goes in a metal case.  I've got a Singer 3223 and I've never had any problems with the bobbins breaking or any problems with them in general.  I've had it for 4 or 5 years now.

The horizontal rod is fine so long as the thread spools don't have stickers over the holes that you have to punch through.  Again, I've never had any problems.

But, i hope the bags goes well!  I've got some plans to make bags for my boxes (probably not the same as Raggydoll has done!) and some lovely fabric to do it with.  Now I just need the time at my machine without anything what to do!

(Oh yes, I should probably clarify that I am a part-time seamstress so my machine has seen an awful lot of use, particularly over the last year).

15 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

Plastic bobbins and horizontal spool pins aren't the end of the world. 

My machine has a side loading bobbin so its a plastic bobbin that goes in a metal case.  I've got a Singer 3223 and I've never had any problems with the bobbins breaking or any problems with them in general.  I've had it for 4 or 5 years now.

The horizontal rod is fine so long as the thread spools don't have stickers over the holes that you have to punch through.  Again, I've never had any problems.

But, i hope the bags goes well!  I've got some plans to make bags for my boxes (probably not the same as Raggydoll has done!) and some lovely fabric to do it with.  Now I just need the time at my machine without anything what to do!

(Oh yes, I should probably clarify that I am a part-time seamstress so my machine has seen an awful lot of use, particularly over the last year).

I was hoping you’d stop by and share your knowledge here ❤️ I always love looking at what you are crafting, you gifted woman! 

1 minute ago, Raggydoll said:

I was hoping you’d stop by and share your knowledge here ❤️ I always love looking at what you are crafting, you gifted woman! 

Awww, thanks 🙂 I couldn't resist chiming into a post discussing the ins and outs of sewing machines!

I can't wait to have the time to do my deck bags, but work comes first at the sewing machine (then stuff for other people and finally my own stuff!)

I made a bag today for my new Rackham Tarot. I had some lace I had already tatted & decided to use it...

9620C6EE-6F8A-4D3C-B6E5-E34966B34A18.jpeg

@Raggydoll Wanted to thank you again for the inspiration. I did a little stash busting yesterday. I had this fabric for a number of years and it kind of fell into my hand the night before. When I went to cut it imagine my surprise when I noticed all of the Elements were represented not once but twice! It's in the bars and the medallions are 4 different ones! I got chills. So, here is what I wound up with.....

The fabric...

PixiBag3.jpg.9e4b1686da8d544cb7cdc84a0f8c9c32.jpg

And my little Pixie Purse...

PixiBag1.jpg.837b07de93945ba028efadfe378e6634.jpg

And my little pocket for the LWB... (which I really love btw)

PixiBag2.jpg.cef5e1e978f6cc9db472a9fe4b7817d1.jpg

I foresee a few more in my near future! :classic_laugh:

8 hours ago, Canid said:

I made a bag today for my new Rackham Tarot. I had some lace I had already tatted & decided to use it...

9620C6EE-6F8A-4D3C-B6E5-E34966B34A18.jpeg

Wow!! I love the unique look!!! 😍

6 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

@Raggydoll Wanted to thank you again for the inspiration. I did a little stash busting yesterday. I had this fabric for a number of years and it kind of fell into my hand the night before. When I went to cut it imagine my surprise when I noticed all of the Elements were represented not once but twice! It's in the bars and the medallions are 4 different ones! I got chills. So, here is what I wound up with.....

The fabric...

That is AMAZING!! Looks so good!! That fabric! 😍🥰

On 1/17/2018 at 4:44 AM, Raggydoll said:

I'm a fan of vintage fashion as well, and it's a great compromise to make new dresses with old patterns. Most of the genuine vintage dresses from the 20s and the 30s tend to be really fragile and not made out of the most practical materials. I am however not confident (or skilled) enough to start making clothes. I am sticking to smaller (= easier) projects for now  8).

You can do this. And we have an edge: google. If we're not sure how to do something, there's tons of tutorial blogs and videos. That's how I'm going to make my bias tape, something I never attempted back in the day. It's an old, old trick but I never knew about it until recently! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrFfg9rtmM

As far as clothes go, there are easy patterns and there are difficult ones. You're pretty safe with Simplicity. Butterick isn't too bad, either.
The one to watch out for is Vogue. You can make some gorgeous stuff with a Vogue pattern, real couture style things, but they're complex. Back in high school, we still had home economics classes. I remember all of us ready to go with our little Simplicity dresses all cut out, but one girl had a Vogue pattern and there were a LOT pieces, strange little pieces that fit together - how? More than a beginner can make sense of. She actually started crying right there in the classroom!

But Simplicity is easy. Especially the "jiffy" stuff. https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/special-collections/vintage/

Posted (edited)

PS that last pouch is AMAZING. And the square button gives it a very 40's vibe for some reason!

And OMG Canid - you tatted that yourself? RESPECT!

Edited by katrinka

9 hours ago, katrinka said:

PS that last pouch is AMAZING. And the square button gives it a very 40's vibe for some reason!

And OMG Canid - you tatted that yourself? RESPECT!

Took me a while to learn how to tat, but I was pretty determined. It’s like knitting with one needle, you ‘cast on’ with your free hand, make chains & rings & loop them together, hopefully in a pleasing way lol. There are some great YouTube videos, I like RustiKate, Maria Papio & OneVirtuousWoman.

1 minute ago, Canid said:

Took me a while to learn how to tat, but I was pretty determined. It’s like knitting with one needle, you ‘cast on’ with your free hand, make chains & rings & loop them together, hopefully in a pleasing way lol. There are some great YouTube videos, I like RustiKate, Maria Papio & OneVirtuousWoman.

That is so cool! 

9 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

That is AMAZING!! Looks so good!! That fabric! 😍🥰

16 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

The fabric...

LOVE it! I’ve never been able to figure those pouches out...

I like to customize my bags according to the deck so I can easily know who’s sleeping where.

A280DC04-18E5-4E5E-AA6A-930B737ACACA.jpeg