John Bauer Tarot

EmpyreanKnight

So you did - now that I recall - you showed me a few cards. Oh well - at least we SHALL have one !

Yes we shall! And who knows, maybe I get to finish my version too :D The nice thing about it is that his works are not under copyright so anyone can make his or her own deck from his works. I do hope this increases interest in his (wonderful) art, and who knows, maybe there's more chances more previously undocumented works of his can be uncovered?

-Ly

Please finish yours Ly. I do prefer your Six of Wands, the colours and also that it is borderless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Through all of the Lo Scarabeo decks I posted, there's one thing that I noticed. They do listen to their market base, as they have finally dispensed with their ungainly multi-lingual borders. At last.

Can I get an "Amen"?! :D

On another note, I do like this deck, even though it's not my usual style. I may look into buying it. It would be nice to get in touch with my Scandinavian roots.

Emilija: I can certainly see the value in connecting with ones roots. Do you mind me asking about your Scandinavian heritage? It just made me so very curious ;D (just tell me to stop being nosy if you don’t want to share, I won’t get offended - I promise ;)) Oh, and I know I am totally going off topic here, sorry about that!

Just got the John Bauer Tarot in the mail, published by Lo Scarabeo with a lwb by Jaymi Elford. Though I haven't read with it yet, it seems to be a nontraditional deck with a moody fairy tale atmosphere. Definitely more suited to intuitive readings, in my opinion.  Below are some of the cards with the meanings from the lwb.

EPOo4Px.jpg

Emperor: authority, having courage to stand up and face your fears, asking for what you desire

Death: reverence for the experience, the unknown is closer than you think, transformation from one side to another

valT6P4.jpg

2 of Swords: being faced with a block; make a clear decision now, sit still and clear your intent

4 of Pentacles: take a good look at what you have, let go of your burdens, be proud of your accomplishments

10vBUnE.jpg

5 of Wands: rise above the chaos, release tensions, refocus your energy into what is needed

8 of Cups: turning away from the mainstream, time to journey beyond what is known, a change of heart

Wow, thank you for sharing this, Bodhiseed! I have been admiring the deck since it came out but had been on the fence about whether I could read with it...but now that I see these images you've shared I think I would love to build a relationship with this deck! Looking forward to hearing more once you've started working with it  :)

Wow, thank you for sharing this, Bodhiseed! I have been admiring the deck since it came out but had been on the fence about whether I could read with it...but now that I see these images you've shared I think I would love to build a relationship with this deck! Looking forward to hearing more once you've started working with it  :)

I wonder if Lo Scarabeo has an enabling badge...  X-D

I wonder if Lo Scarabeo has an enabling badge...  X-D

LOLOL  X-D

Thank you Bodhiseed!

Interesting that the meaning of the lwb is the meaning I'll give to my Pictorial Key, but I don't see it in the John Bauer.

I still like it, might even have an easier time working with this one...next time.

For now, back to my dywysoges.  ;D

Thank you again for sharing!

Wow! I love the fairytale feel of this deck and have got it on my wish list.

Thank you for sharing some images with us. It looks to be a good deck for story-like readings.

Thank you for sharing. I've been looking at the deck for a while now and it's high up on my wishlist. I love his illustrations, I remember them from my childhood. I'm pretty sure I had a book about trolls.

I love that the deck is a bit darker, I've been looking for a fairy deck that is not all bright and flowery.

Thank you for sharing these images and their meaning. I've been looking at this deck for a while and hesitated to buy it. I really like this old fairy tale style and the mysterious atmosphere there is. I think I'll buy it ;D., not rightnow bevause I've bought 2 in a short time, but maybe in few months, or for chrismas.

I picked this deck up at Watkins when I was in London - I was surprised they had it as it had only just been released. I absolutely love it. I think this deck is entirely what I need right now - darkly mystical, feels traditional but oddly isn’t. Feels like an old fashioned period deck from the turn of the last century but feels contemporarily intuitive. Every reading I do with it - and I have to really let go of that tendency to mentally refer to the RWS image - makes sense to me. It really gets my imagination and intuition going. I absolutely love it. One of the most memorable and readable of recent releases.

I picked this deck up at Watkins when I was in London - I was surprised they had it as it had only just been released. I absolutely love it. I think this deck is entirely what I need right now - darkly mystical, feels traditional but oddly isn’t. Feels like an old fashioned period deck from the turn of the last century but feels contemporarily intuitive. Every reading I do with it - and I have to really let go of that tendency to mentally refer to the RWS image - makes sense to me. It really gets my imagination and intuition going. I absolutely love it. One of the most memorable and readable of recent releases.

What a wonderful review! Thanks for sharing, Le Fanu!

Page of Ghosts

I'm also wondering if I didn't read one of the fairytale books he illustrated as a child, some of his art seems super familiar. It's on my wishlist for sure, I get some interesting ideas just from looking at the pictures Bodhiseed so generously posted  ^-^

I have the deck, and I do think some of the images barely work for the given meanings. There's also a couple of cards - the fool strikes me like this - where you feel they've changed the scale to make the figure work, and it shows in the sharpness or otherwise of the final print.

The card stock feels whippy in comparison to some LoS decks I have, and the bottom edges of mine are ragged out of the box, but I'll live with that.

last thing, there's no listing of where each illustration came from, no name or book or anything, which is frustrating if you wanted to go further.

Still a nice deck and I'll be keeping it.

PathWalker (working towards her enabling badge  :)  )

I have it! :) It´s dark, with wonderful pictures and I have no idea how to read with it, but I don't care! ;)

I have the deck and that is the most important! :))

I have it, too! After a long deck-buying moratorium i simply couldn't resist it. I love Scandinavia and its folklore. I didn't read with it yet but I already know what I love about it: the borderless sides and the upper-lower-edge border. If you put the cards next to each other, you get a frieze - beautiful and inviting to read. Thank you to all enablers :-) 

I want to start by saying that I do not own this deck. I was very hyped in the beginning at the thought of this, but since I have seen the finished product I am really conflicted about it. Truthfully, I do not feel that it really works as a tarot deck. Those stories seem to force-fitted to me and it is clear that they have a very different original context then the one they are placed in now. I should point out that I am very probably influenced by the fact that I am swedish and that John Bauer has been a great part of my childhood. And I just do not feel that his depictions resonate with my understanding of the tarot archetypes. But I am still quite intrigued by this deck and I feel that the artwork still has so much magic to it. So I was thinking about using this as an intuitive oracle style deck. I have not studied the backs properly so I'm not sure if it would work, but I am also a bit tempted to look into the possibilities of trimming it (should I purchase a copy)  :bugeyed:

I just received mine today. I really love it. I do wish the colours had been printed a bit brighter, but I am so excited to have a new deck after a very long moratorium on new decks. I love John Bauer and that whole nordic atmosphere. It goes with many art songs in my lyric repertoire. The cards are wonderful for intuitive readings, especially as I am getting to know them. I love the Temperance card - a half dissolved witch in water...

Page of ghosts: I had never heard of Theodore before, thanks for sharing! How about Ebbe Schön and his books, were they common in Norway? I remember loving all his books on folk tales and old traditions. He was very much like my grandfather in a way. My grandfather seriously believed in småfolk (there really is no good translation for that one, I think). I'm guessing you heard similar stories growing up :)

This takes me back...  ^-^

I grew up in the tropics, as far from Northern Europe as you could possibly be (well, I guess you could be farther away, but never mind), where I had a few... let's say bizarre encounters with things or beings that weren't supposed to be there. But this is not what I wanted to share.

Many years ago, I met this Swiss artist whose name now eludes me, an old, VERY interesting woman, and she spoke very matter-of-factly about the small folk. Stuff like how you couldn't take your cows beyond a certain height in the Alps, or the fairies would throw them down. And she told me a story about being lost in the woods as a child, in the mist, and being shown the way back by an elf. She couldn't describe it; she only saw a sort of pulsing light and heard a voice, and couldn't even tell if it was male of female... She could have been pulling my leg, but I don't think so.

(And no, I'm not confusing or conflating Switzerland with Sweden, but still. My ancestors, the Basque --mountain people as well as the Swiss-- have a lot of similar myths and stories.)

Anyway, I was duly enabled by EmpyreanKnight, Master Enabler Extraordinaire, and got it a while ago. I'm with you in that I'm not sure it will be a reading deck for me, as the fairy tale archetypes do feel kind of shoehorned into the cards instead of organically integrated. But it's still stunning, and I'm willing to give it a chance, or even keep it anyway.

Many years ago, I met this Swiss artist whose name now eludes me, an old, VERY interesting woman, and she spoke very matter-of-factly about the small folk. Stuff like how you couldn't take your cows beyond a certain height in the Alps, or the fairies would throw them down. And she told me a story about being lost in the woods as a child, in the mist, and being shown the way back by an elf. She couldn't describe it; she only saw a sort of pulsing light and heard a voice, and couldn't even tell if it was male of female... She could have been pulling my leg, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I was duly enabled by EmpyreanKnight, Master Enabler Extraordinaire, and got it a while ago. I'm with you in that I'm not sure it will be a reading deck for me, as the fairy tale archetypes do feel kind of shoehorned into the cards instead of organically integrated. But it's still stunning, and I'm willing to give it a chance, or even keep it anyway.

I loved your story FLizarraga. What an interesting encounter. It is almost as if you had met one of the small folk in person.  I'm loving the Bauer tarot so far. I've deeply enjoyed the recent couple of readings I've tried with it. I think it is a profound deck, and the shoe-horning really doesn't bother me. I love the new spin on the meanings it brings.