Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Line

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

I didn't know that they'd grant my wish for the Minchiate Etruria! And it's a good thing that they decided to go with the Tarots Egyptiens Etteilla too. From a previous interview, I really thought that they would go with the Jugendstiltarock and the L'Utile col Diletto, which in my opinion are much less marketable.

From my previous posts in the Tarocchino Mitelli thread:

On related news (while waiting for this ravishing beauty, which unfortunately would take weeks to arrive in my case), I hope that Lo Scarabeo would please please release the Minchiate Etruria as their next offering in the Anima Antiqua series. It will sell like hotcakes, I'm tellin' ya.

But it seems like they already have other decks on their plate. In The Queen's Sword interview with Lo Scarabeo, they stated that they plan to release "a deck printed in 1906, Wien (Vienna) called ‘secession deck’". I think they're referring to Ditha Moser's Jugendstiltarock.

I'm going to grab that one too, just you wait. :D I wonder tho. If it is indeed going to be included in the Anima Antiqua line, would it only include the 54 cards in the original tarock or would they expand it to the 78-card Tarot standard by crafting original Ace to 6 cards for every suit? My money's on the former tho I'd prefer the latter of course.

I wonder what the "tarot deck that was burned in 1725 in Bologna" is tho. I'm gonna do my research. :)

Lo Scarabeo has managed to outdo themselves with their Anima Antiqua Line. Premium, classy, rare, and sooo inexpensive, what more can one ask for? They seem to be deeply in touch with what their clientele truly desire.

And yeah I know I shall be imposing a deck-buying moratorium for myself next year, but cmon this is a worthy exception. I'm going to get each and every one of the decks in this line. :)

Just did some research, and it seems like the fourth offering in the Anima Antiqua Line, the "tarot deck that was burned in 1725 in Bologna", has the official name of L’Utile col Diletto, ossia geografia intrecciata nel giuoco de Tarocchi. That's quite a mouthful, but it translates to Geographical and Heraldic Tarocchi Cards.

Here are supporting links:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/italy/utile-col-diletto

http://dummettsmondo.blogspot.com/2015/07/chapter-3-ferrara-or-elsewhere.html

Next, I'd love to get a Naibi of Giovanni Vacchetta ("Tarot of the Masters") and also a version of the Visconti-Sforza Tarot under the Anima Antiqua line.

EmpyreanKnight

LoS already has the Vacchetta and the metallic Visconti-Sforza under its imprint, but I would also like to get a premium version of thise decks under their Anima Antiqua line.

Releases Update:

The Minchiate Etruria is late, again! At least, I got a notification from Amazon.ca yesterday with a shipping date: Arriving 1 Nov - 6 Dec. It's a long wait but I know it's going to be worth it!

The Tarot Egyptien is still planned for Jan 8, 2019.  :D

The Sola Busca - Museum Quality Kit is also planned for Jan 8, 2019. I suppose the cards will be the same as the previous deck, now I wish we could only buy the book separately.  :(

EmpyreanKnight

Thanks for the heads up, Morsoth. :)

I remember how the Anima Antiqua Sola Busca became OOP only a few months after its release and I was regretting that I didn't buy a backup. This is the answer to my prayers lol.

­^ Oh and I'm very happy for you! I should have waited,  bought mine new but from eBay after it was OOP. Not sure how I paid for it, and I think it's best that I don't check! lol

UPDATE: Just received my Minchiate Etruria!!! I got #334 on 2999!  ;D

Just to add the new releases from Lo Scarabeo, two more Anima Antiqua will be released around February 2020:

The Tarot de Marseille, 1760, based on the Nicolas Conver version (Anima Antiqua #5)

spacer.png

The Wiener Secession Deck,1906, Ditha Moser (Anima Antiqua #6)

spacer.png

Edited by Morsoth

Thanks for the updates.  The Conver was orig 'sposed to release this month and I wonder... what pushes the release dates back?

It's true, but they have been both delayed. I'm not totally unhappy about this as I'll more time to put money on the side for these 2 new decks!

I've read somewhere that the Visconti Modrone deck issue could be the reason why many decks are delayed. The deck was printed in China, but LS had too invest time and probably money to sort out the issues...

2020 is here, and Lo Scarabeo announced two more tarot decks to be published under the Anima Antiqua line! I'm very happy to discover that Tarocchino Montieri! For more images of this deck, look at this scanned version on the Biblioteca dell'Archiginnasio website! As for the Tarocco Sopraffino, I'm happy to get a better version as I only have the "Ancient Italian  Tarot" version from Lo Scarabeo, and I never liked the back of the cards. This one is perfect, like the Il Meneghello edition, which is OOP.

By the way, I just checked the 'Sopraffino' word, and apparently it's the way it should be spelled...? Il Meneghello spelled it 'Soprafino' (with only one 'f') but since they are also Italian, they should know, no?! Anyway!! 🙂

AnimaAntiqua.thumb.jpg.104c5a896d187333abe60e59121503c7.jpg

Edited by Morsoth

I wish their website had a page devoted to these.... I lost track of which were already out at one point. We could use an official NUMBERED LIST ! When I got one that informer me it was no 6, I realised I was missing one....

Good point. My unofficial numbering of these is based on the release date (and the order from the Lo Scarabeo catalogues), so:

Anima Antiqua #1 = 1491 - Tarocchi Sola Busca - Ferrara, XV Century (Lo Scarabeo, 2017)

Anima Antiqua #2 = ca1660 - Tarocchino Mitelli - Bologna (Lo Scarabeo, 2018)

Anima Antiqua #3 = 1806 - Minchiate Etruria - Florence (Lo Scarabeo, 2018)

Anima Antiqua #4 = ca1875 - Tarots Égyptiens - Lorambert (Lo Scarabeo, 2018)

Anima Antiqua #5 = 1760 - Tarot de Marseille - Nicolas Conver (Lo Scarabeo, 2019)

Anima Antiqua #6 = 1906 - Wiener Secession Tarot - Ditha Moser (Lo Scarabeo, 2019)

Anima Antiqua #7 = 1725 - Tarocchino Montieri - Luigi Montieri (Lo Scarabeo, 2020)

Anima Antiqua #8 = 1835 - Tarocco Sopraffino - Carlo Della Rocca(Lo Scarabeo, 2020)

Edited by Morsoth

OK so I am confused about the Sola Busca now. Must investigate. I have most of those.... I have the one they put out years ago, and the "museum quality" one.

And indeed, damn; I am missing that one.....

The "museum quality" seems like a downgrade based on what I saw on YouTube. I don't remember if it was the backing, the lamination or the card stock, but something was not right about all the reviews I saw. I only buy the Anima Antiqua line as far as I'm concerned.

I have the Museum Quality one. I understand the imagery is a bit different. I must get out my original one from WAY back and see ! Meanwhile, I shall seek out the AA version.

ETA And I GOT me one !

Edited by gregory

14 hours ago, gregory said:

I have the Museum Quality one. I understand the imagery is a bit different. I must get out my original one from WAY back and see ! Meanwhile, I shall seek out the AA version.

ETA And I GOT me one !

Oh yeah!! 🙂 I'm glad you managed to find one!

I love historical decks so much! I have decks for readings (usually the RWS or a modern deck) but I do collect historical decks only to "have them". As long as the release decks in that series, I'll keep buying them. I don't buy tarot decks often these days, so 2-3 historical decks a year is perfect for me!

On 2/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, Tagi said:

So I really want the Sopraffino, I hope I don't forget come September:/

The release dates are often delayed, and even then, they don't sell out that fast. To my knowledge, only the Tarocchi Sola Busca is OOP. In Canada, all of the others are still available on Amazon.ca.

Has anyone here tried to read with the Weiner Secession deck?? I love the artwork, but it is so atypical that I wouldn't know how to begin with it. Or, is it just pretty much a good historical novelty?

I haven't, but literally anything can be read. 
It appears to be a Tarock of some kind. I'd look for information on reading Tarock. Maybe there's an old thread on AT someplace...
Here is another Tarock, a good reading deck, but as you can see it's quite different https://thecartomancer.bigcartel.com/product/wust-bourgeois-tarot-c-1890
There seems to be a lot of variation in these. You kind of have to make your own way. 😉

Edited by katrinka

But insatiable curiosity got the better of me, lol, so I looked into it a little more. It's 54 cards: four pip cards and four courts per suit, so you can get away with something somewhat simplified.

The numbering of the pips is curious: Hearts and Diamonds are numbered 1-4, Clubs and Spades are numbered 7-10. I leave you to your own devices here - your guess is as good as mine.

The Majors, though double-ended, are identical on both ends, so you only need one meaning per card. I think it would be fairly easy to work out a method for it. VI, for instance, is a deer hunt. So you have a man who is probably well to do, with a fast horse and a fine dog, who is hunting for sport rather than survival. Some Lenormand Rider meanings may apply, like young, active, sporty, and swift. He doesn't bring news though. He's in pursuit of a goal, the deer. You could even use it to connect the cards on either side, with the card on the hunter side representing a person, and the card on the deer side representing a goal. I think it could be an exceptionally good reading deck for someone who loves it enough to spend a lot of time with it and find what works.

I found a video with a little more detail. Take the youtuber with a grain of salt (he can't even pronounce "secession") and of course, LS LWBs should always be taken with a BIG grain of salt, though this LWB does seem to explain the scenes on the Majors , albiet I can't vouch for their veracity:

It looks like a fun little reduced deck that could give accurate readings, if you just spent enough time with it. I hope there is more posted here at TTM on reading Tarock. Now I want to dig out my Wust... 🙂

Edited by katrinka

13 hours ago, Czenzi said:

Has anyone here tried to read with the Weiner Secession deck?? I love the artwork, but it is so atypical that I wouldn't know how to begin with it. Or, is it just pretty much a good historical novelty?

I've had it for years under the name of Ditha Moser (the artist.)

https://www.wopc.co.uk/austria/piatnik/jugendstil-tarock

It is indeed basically a tarock, first produced in 1906, in aid of a Viennese charity.  The 22 major arcana depict art nouveau scenes of people, animals, places and objects reminiscent of when the artist was a child.   The court cards have an almost stained glass effect, depicting Assyrians, knights, royalty and Egyptians. I have read with tarock decks, but I think you really need a playing card mindset to do them justice. If that makes sense.