Anyone know of a good active witchcraft and/or ritual magic forum?

Arania

I don’t like discord either! I think most people discuss these things in the context of circles and covens, though maybe someone knows of an active forum. I think it would be nice if the witchcraft section on this forum got more active. Hopefully it will grow and come to life! 

I was on 4 forums, one dissolved and the rest almost completely moved to discord. The younger generations of mostly solitary witches and co seems to prefer discussion-style forums, but I so much dislike not being able to read up on old topics easily and miss so much stuff because I wasn't around. And also, discord hates me it never works right.

I think a lot of practitioners are not into tarot enough to look for a tarot forum, and tarot readers so very often are not into other types of magic. Or want to keep everything apart.

The only advantage I see in discord - just jump between your channels easily.

Yeah, I think you’re right. I’ve found that witchcraft is not something that most tarot readers are into. I can sometimes feel lonely because my combination of interests - runes, folk magic, animistic spirituality and tarot - is not something many people share. And since I don’t practice Wicca, that makes it harder still. 

No, aside from my housemate I am solitary for a long time now. I don't want a real group anymore, partly due to autism. It is just too much stress. I just want a place to exchange ideas and to hear about other people's experiences around the world.

fire cat pickles

I only know of one forum that has a subforum dedicated to Wicca. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the link though.

It isn't very active but I wouldn't say it's dead, either. And there are old threads that you could look through.

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

... I’ve found that witchcraft is not something that most tarot readers are into. ...

LOL the times they are a changin.

Back in my youth ... all the witchy folk and tarot folk were the same community of misfits.

If you did tarot ... you were witchy. If you were witchy ... you did tarot.

But it's different now.

I had to leave tarot reddit b/c I couldn't stand all the atheists and rationalists telling me that tarot should never be used predictively and magick is delusional. And then the witchy ones saying any secret practice is "gatekeeping" and everyone should be given everything all the time.

It's gotten bizarre out there.

13 hours ago, Arania said:

Seems all of mine have moved to Discord, which I deeply dislike for its fleeting discussion type style, the web versions having gone inactive.

Facebook groups have some lively discussion, regardless of topic or interest.  I too dislike Discord for anything where you want to return to a conversation later. 

Perhaps, however, do not expect the quality of discussion to be on par with a dedicated, destination - stop forum.

Edited by Wyrdkiss

6 hours ago, Misterei said:

LOL the times they are a changin.

Back in my youth ... all the witchy folk and tarot folk were the same community of misfits.

If you did tarot ... you were witchy. If you were witchy ... you did tarot.

But it's different now.

I had to leave tarot reddit b/c I couldn't stand all the atheists and rationalists telling me that tarot should never be used predictively and magick is delusional. And then the witchy ones saying any secret practice is "gatekeeping" and everyone should be given everything all the time.

It's gotten bizarre out there.

I think it’s a bit cultural too. From what I gather, it wasn’t quite the same here in Scandinavia. The people I know who have been interested in tarot a very long time are not practitioners of magic, they are into divination mainly. I think that most of the Norse magic people wouldn’t have reached for tarot, it’s a divination type that’s so out of the culture. It’s the same to this day. In the heathen society; people do seidr and runes. The combination of runes and tarot as an interest is something newer where I’m from. 

I have the same opinions as you in regards to predictive divination and I obviously don’t think magic is delusional 😊 I often hear people say that there is nothing ‘closed’ about Norse spirituality so there mustn’t be any gatekeeping, but I think this assumption is based on ignorance. We of course have closed or hereditary practices here too, but if you do a websearch on them, you won’t get a single hit on google or YouTube. It seems that English people genuinely aren’t aware of it. If it hasn’t been mentioned by one of the American authors who adore the Edda and the “Snorri-Universe” (or maybe I should start calling it the “Marvel-universe” 😆) then it doesn’t exist. Oh well, can’t say that I think it’s a shame. Had it been out there, it would have been misappropriated in no time. And then we’d have non-Scandinavians who would call themselves true professionals of the craft, and start to offer expensive courses for Scandinavians who want to learn. I know that these options might provoke some people, but to see sacred practices being sold back to their place of origin, even if it’s not an indigenous or vulnerable culture, is something that I’m not happy about. So there, I said it. And i apologize for going off topic 😅

@fire cat picklesI checked, and the rules say that they prefer us to not link to other forums in the Promote Yourself area. Your post isn’t in the Promotion area, but why not just type out the name of the forum then that surely isn’t breaking any rules 

IMG_1822.jpeg.90e34f5a308dbe39db74058b1d50510a.jpeg

Edited by Raggydoll

fire cat pickles
6 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

@fire cat picklesI checked, and the rules say that they prefer us to not link to other forums in the Promote Yourself area. Your post isn’t in the Promotion area, but why not just type out the name of the forum then that surely isn’t breaking any rules 

IMG_1822.jpeg.90e34f5a308dbe39db74058b1d50510a.jpeg

Good idea! @Arania, if you use Google Search and type in spiritualforum (one word, no quotes) it should be the first item in the search results. Good luck hunting 🙂 

Hi everyone, we have got it clarified and it's okay to post links here and name sites which are about witchcraft and ritual magic.

So we know the policy, we don't allow linking to sites which are our own, are not on topic or are active other tarot communities. This is outside the tarot area and okay for helping members out as information 🙂 .

Sadly, as we know, social media really affected online communities and forums in the last ten years. Probably most of these communities moved to Reddit groups (there are many witchcraft and magic ones there when I looked), Discord, Facebook groups, etc.

My suggestion about forums is The Cauldron (https://ecauldron.com/), this is a more pagan directed but has non-pagan stuff and does get posts. It's been online since 1997 as a bulletin board.

Also you can use this section of the forum how you like, if you want to make threads for various ritual magic things, please do! The outside tarot areas are for people to use as they need 🙂

20 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I think it’s a bit cultural too. From what I gather, it wasn’t quite the same here in Scandinavia. ...

Ahh. Yes. I'm in USA. Back in my youth it was a mishmash of "witchy" No one particularly had ancestral practices.

Or they kept more quiet about that part if they did.

I have a friend who follows Norse path. She never got into Tarot. I finally found (with great effort and at great shipping cost) an excellent Norse Tarot from England. I gave it as her birthday present. It's the only Tarot she likes. The fellow did good research and it comes with a complete book.

@Raggydoll said

<<... I often hear people say that there is nothing ‘closed’ about Norse spirituality so there mustn’t be any gatekeeping, but I think this assumption is based on ignorance. We of course have closed ... practices .... Had it been out there, it would have been misappropriated in no time. And then we’d have non-Scandinavians who would call themselves true professionals of the craft, and start to offer expensive courses ...>>

Exactly. Also this very concept of "no gatekeeping no secrets" is ignorant.

It's people who don't realize the "gatekeeping" might just protect them from themselves.

LOL I can look back on my life and WISH certain things had been "gated" 🤣

I used to be on the Cauldron but they have gone mostly discord, too, unfortunately. I might give it a try again though. I'll check out the other suggestions. 🙂

3 hours ago, Teemu said:

Hi,

there is the "Esoterikforum", but it is purely in German.

Yeah German forums... have issues. I'm mostly avoiding them to to their often weird politeness rules.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, Raggydoll said:

Yeah, I think you’re right. I’ve found that witchcraft is not something that most tarot readers are into. I can sometimes feel lonely because my combination of interests - runes, folk magic, animistic spirituality and tarot - is not something many people share. And since I don’t practice Wicca, that makes it harder still. 

I would love to ask you, out of curiosity, how you feel about something -- I have a spiritual side as well, but do not align with Wicca, and would love to bounce a question around. May I PM you?

On 9/15/2023 at 12:01 PM, Raggydoll said:

scratch that PM request -- I'm going to post a thread, it may be conducive to good discussion. but I will mention you, to be sure you chime in, since your info here inspired it.

7 minutes ago, Wyrdkiss said:

I would love to ask you, out of curiosity, how you feel about something -- I have a spiritual side as well, but do not align with Wicca, and would love to bounce a question around. May I PM you?

Of course you may! 😀

Just now, Wyrdkiss said:

scratch that PM request -- I'm going to post a thread, it may be conducive to good discussion. but I will mention you, to be sure you chime in, since your info here inspired it.

Sounds good!

I hear more and more younger people complain about it, too, and Discord has come up with all sorts of things to make some functions more forum-like. But it is just not the same thing. It feels like standing in a street and listening to all the people talk and when they are gone they  are gone.

I really only went on Discord because the RPG online events are all on there nowadays. But then with my connection voice on Discord is adventurous in itself.