Deck of the Week Sign-up Thread, Week 335: Dec. 4 - Dec. 10

fire cat pickles

fire cat pickles

A thread for those who would like to work through their collection of decks, participants choose decks from their collections to work with for the week. Some use one deck, others use two or more. Some combine methods: Tarot, non-tarot (e.g. oracle), playing cards, or any other divinatory method is welcome. All we ask is that you use at least one tarot or oracle deck.

No collection is too large or too small. The only rules we have are the Tarot, Tea & Me Rules; Be respectful of one other. Please join us!

• Please post with your choice of deck(s) for the week
  • Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it (or not), etc., it's all up to you 
  • Participants may either choose to share their readings here in this discussion thread or opt to have their own journal in the Journals Forum and link it here
  • Yet others may even have an offline journal in paper & pencil/pen form

Share as often, as much, or as little as you like. You can drop in and out at anytime—reality and life permitting. New to tarot? Long time reader? Come on in!

Participants:

1. fire cat pickles: Madru Das Baum-Tarot
  2. Bodhiseed: Albano-Waite Tarot paired with Rumi Cards
  3. Akhilleus: Morgan-Greer Tarot
  4. Rachelcat: Good Omens Tarot Deck

Click here for DoW 334 (11/27 - 12/3)

Click here for DoW 336 (12/11 - 12/17)

Edited by fire cat pickles

Thank you Fire cat! 

From the Albano-Waite Tarot, the Devil; from the Rumi Cards, He's Here:

Devil.jpgHe's%20Here.jpg
Bedevil: continually cause confusion or great difficulty

When I drew this card, I heard Flip Wilson's voice saying "the devil made me do it." More likely, it was a lack of self-awareness and an inability to regulate distressing emotions. We believe what we feel and impulsiveness follows. Justin Baristo writes: "Emotions have power. Emotional intelligence is the ability to harness that power - to understand and manage emotions, so that you can make decisions that are in harmony with your core values and principles." Emotions are simply a reaction to what we witness or think about; they deserve compassion but not necessarily a platform. He's Here suggests something greater than ourselves, a power that moves through and enlivens the universe. However we define the sacred, it can help us find our center point when we are bedeviled. The outer world may not change, but it can allow us to change our relationship to it.

I'm here, I'm here!  Hi, crew!  I just scrolled by and saw "the devil, he's here!" and did a doubletake!  But then your interp makes so much sense I'm not shocked anymore!

This week for me will be the Good Omens Tarot Deck!  Another new deck!  I’ve been obsessed with the Good Omens tv series since the second season came out a few months ago, so of course I ordered the deck.  I hoped against hope that this Insight Editions deck would be better than others I’ve been disappointed with (looking at you, Star Trek The Next Generation Tarot).  Oh, good heavens (pun intended), I just looked up Insight Editions to make sure I’m maligning the right publisher (I am), and I see they have Ghostbusters and Princess Bride decks coming out next year!  (I’m so dating myself with these must-haves, huh?)

In any case, the Good Omens deck is actually pretty good!  Good enough for me to like, keep, and use.  Of course, I don’t agree with all the attributions, but they all make sense, and I’m enjoying figuring them out.  I’ve started a table of titles for the cards made up by me like I did for the Jane Austen Tarot (out of print Lo Scarabeo, not Insight Editions).  I’m re-reading the book to get my terminology and names correct.  I’ll share it when I work out more kinks.

Monday1.thumb.jpg.3b51fae4dec8a24f19e2c4fbbe5fa006.jpg

The art is, I don’t know how else to say it, jagged.  And colorful.  I like the borders and backs.  Every card has a border that includes a halo and Crowley’s snake temple markings.  I can’t figure out why Michael looks like Crowley though . . .  And there are a couple I can’t quite figure out what they’re showing, except a bunch of demons standing around . . .  I’m working on it!

The suits are Angels (wands), Vessels (cups), Demons (swords), and Humans (coins).  The aces feature characters, like an extra court rank.  There’s one mistake:  The booklet says (which makes more sense) the Page of Humans is Elspeth the body snatcher, and the Knight of Humans is Mrs. Henderson the manager of the Ladies of Camelot show.  The cards are reversed.  I don’t think that will be much of a problem for reading, but I might have to resort to a Sharpie at some point.

Well, enough intro.  On to the interview!  This should be interesting!  Oh, spoiler alert for all my my readings!

Monday2.thumb.jpg.e48ae9c9869257f6477ecb92c8209ccf.jpg

What is your most important characteristic?  Judgment, Dagon

Ugh!  This is one I don’t agree with!  This is the demon that Aziraphale-disguised-as-Crowley thinks might be his defender at his trial.  But instead, she’s there to make sure the prosecutor and judge definitely convict him.

The most important characteristic of the deck is that I won’t always agree with it, and I will be judging it.  The positive is that, by combining tarot and the story, both are elevated.

What is your strength?  Chariot, Adam rides to the airbase

Another disagreement!  The Chariot should so be the Bentley.  (But it’s 8 of Wands for speed, so that’s ok.)  When Adam decides to fight against his fate, he immediately takes action to do that.

I might not always agree with the deck, but it’s strong in its convictions, and I can follow along with them.

Your weakness?  Knight of Demons, Shax

I love Shax.  She’s this intimidating demon devoted to her work, but she’s a bit ineffectual.  She’s clueless about how things work on earth.  She doesn’t understand sarcasm and isn’t sure Crowley knows she’s threatening him.  She also doesn’t get the number of demons she wants for the attack on the bookshop and has to make do with the few they give her.  But through it all, she’s an earthly and hellish fashion icon.

The deck’s weakness is it's confident and it has appeared on the scene in good time, but it might have been better if they had waited for more insight into the story (pun intended?).

What can you teach me?  IV of Humans, St. James’ Park

A place of beauty and ducks where spies abound.  They’re hoarding their secrets?

The deck can teach me to appreciate its art and the fact that it exists as a physical possession.  I won’t give it away (unlike a certain flaming sword).

How can I learn it?  III of Demons, sword, scales, and crown of the Four Horsemen

The activating tokens (symbols) of War, Famine, and Pollution.  (I think it’s interesting that the author modernized Pestilence to Pollution and then we had the pandemic.  Pestilence isn’t so outdated after all!)

I can learn about art appreciation and too many possessions (decks!) by studying, and also by understanding that these are perennial issues that never really go away.

What will be the outcome of our work together?  Ace of Vessels, Shadwell and Tracy

At first we won’t understand each other, and then we’ll both change enough to get along quite closely!  In spite of everything, it was love at first sight.

16 minutes ago, Rachelcat said:

This week for me will be the Good Omens Tarot Deck!  

Oh I adored the book and liked the movie. I'll be interested in how you get on with this deck this week.

😂 On the devil he's here! 😂

On 12/6/2023 at 12:38 AM, Bodhiseed said:

One of my old favorites!

Lovin the 70's historical movie vibe! I'll be working with it again this week. 

Rachelcat

I don't know if anybody is interested, but I finally finished my titles list for the Good Omens Tarot.  Yes, it took me a while, but I wanted it to be just right!  I'm putting it here because this is where I mentioned the list first.  If there is interest, I can start a new thread on the deck.  Enjoy!

Good Omens Tarot Deck.pdf

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.