Lo Scarabeo Visconti Modrone

Flaxen

@Venus Rising now we wait to see how fast your replacement arrive!;D Will see if I got my missing after that,, lol

FLizarraga

Oh, Venus, that is a bummer.

I wonder. This line is LS's first foray into a more, let's say luxe experience, and it is possible that they are not using their usual printer(s). LS printing quality has traditionally been decent, and they have never shown the random cardstock issues that Llewellyn tends to have. Does anyone know for sure? Gregory?

34 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

Oh, Venus, that is a bummer.

I wonder. This line is LS's first foray into a more, let's say luxe experience, and it is possible that they are not using their usual printer(s). LS printing quality has traditionally been decent, and they have never shown the random cardstock issues that Llewellyn tends to have. Does anyone know for sure? Gregory?

I think it’s also possible that it is a combination of cardstock + lamination + gilding that they haven’t tried before so it’s behaving in unexpected ways.  

on the 30th of April, the CEO wrote to all backers (it's on their kickstarter page under updates when you sign in as a backer and went out as an email)

Dear Backers,

I decided to write a letter to you all because I’m very sorry about the complaints you gave us on the Visconti Modrone Tarot deck.

Please let me try to explain what happened.

When the project was funded we assigned to our best Chinese printer the task to print the product but he declined due to his new found religious beliefs. We were then obliged to find a second option very quickly but unfortunately they deeply disappointed us.

I must tell you that it wasn’t an easy project to manage for them because we pushed them to be able to deliver you the product as soon as possible and, maybe, some of the issues spotted are due to the urgency we gave them.

But, you’re right, missing and duplicated cards, badly cut cards and scratched edges are not acceptable for our high quality standard.

I hope it will be possible to count on your trust even in the future as our main goal has always been your FULL satisfaction.

We’re here to listen to all your needs and/or doubts. Even your criticism is very appreciated as criticism is as a pair of new shoes: apparently not suitable, but, if good, very  useful!

Mario

--------

Someone wrote a critical comment in the comments to the post and were very upset with their deck and they replied with this comment....

we are very sorry that you are disappointed in the deck.

Some of the problems you have found are indeed what are plaguing this production.

We cannot offer much solace, unfortunately.

What we can only do is to send you by free another deck.The replaced one should have (all the cards have been all through QC one by one) better quality.

The lack of uniformity in back color will likely persists. This is a problem shared with the whole of production.

It is due to the fact that the cards are so large that they took three different printing sheets. Still, the difference in color seems also due to bad color control.

Being a reproduction of an ancient deck, it is a small consolation that the original backsides were most likely even less uniform than the reproduction. It is a small consolation and in no way a substitute for an apology.

Moreover, transferred gild on cards back is due to residual powder. It does not imply the original card is affected (if anything they used too much pressure rather than too little).

However, in some cases the number of white spots can be really bad and difficult to remove. Again, we hope that QC has managed to avoid the extreme of this problem in the replaced deck.

Please write us at marketing@loscarabeo.com to receive the replaced deck, and, once received, please let us know if any of the problems persists in any not acceptable way. We will try to solve to the best of our abilities.

Best regards

-------------------

They have been very good if you have a problem with the deck, their customer service is excellent in this awful situation!

I think they had this printer problem but also didn't quality control properly. The last batch to go out, went to the South Pacific and that area of the world and @DownUnderNZer got a perfect deck. But they have checked all decks by then, I think they didn't check what was going on! This was probably because they had trusted processes and printers before and never had a problem. I am only speculating but what a nightmare for them and for us!

@DanielJUK wow, thank you so much for sharing! I did see people on Facebook sharing pictures of their replacement cards that sadly had the wrong size and didn’t fit with their original deck. That seemed like such a weird problem to occur but I understand by reading all this that things have been very out of the ordinary in all regards. I feel sorry for anyone involved. I had pledged for two decks myself but withdrew my pledge after having a distinct feeling that I wouldn’t be happy with my decks. I thought it was due to the size because I struggle to shuffle big decks but my instinct was that it was something more than that. I will never be able to say for sure that I would have gotten a defective deck, but I am convinced that this is what my intuition was referring to. I’m glad that a lot of people did get good decks and I hope that most people will be content in the end. 

For the record, I'm in the UK and I got a perfect one too.

Part of the issue was having to find a new printer in a hurry - I would have preferred them to take their time, but then others would have complained bitterly about the delay (we already had people like our dear reall saying there was no way she should have to wait till MARCH when the campaign ended in October or whenever it was.)

Interesting.

When the project was funded we assigned to our best Chinese printer the task to print the product but he declined due to his new found religious beliefs. We were then obliged to find a second option very quickly but unfortunately they deeply disappointed us.

I don't understand that. they declined because "to his new found religious beliefs".

It sounds weird or it's my english? The Visconti Modrone isn't "strange" with regard to religion, no? Actually there are plenty of decks printed in china now with a gothic touch much more "difficult" (their current project for example).

Edited by Decan

31 minutes ago, Decan said:

Interesting.

I don't understand that. they declined because "to his new found religious beliefs".

It sounds weird or it's my english? The Visconti Modrone isn't "strange" with regard to religion, no? Actually there are plenty of decks printed in china now with a gothic touch much more "difficult" (their current project for example).

Maybe the printer is not doing any tarot decks at all anymore? 

DownUnderNZer

@DanielJUK

That is a real shame and sad to read about the wrong sizes  with replacements - I think my lot came through maybe 2 or 3 months after it hit the USA and UK etc.

So YES I think I was part of the last shipping destination.

I do feel for Lo Scarabeo too as this deck is a piece of artwork and they are going to financially suffer for the printing mistakes made. It is not their fault at all and people are not going to see that especially when money is involved.

We have to remember that places like KickStarter and Indiegogo are not retail shops and it is a risk each time - therefore money can be lost with nothing to show for it.

KS is very clear about that when you back anything!

We are very lucky that L.S.  do replace and support us because some creators on KS absolutely do not!

I will be supporting further L.S. decks if they have my interest like this one did.

DND 💓

Exactly. Tarot is Evil, and so they, because of their new found faith of some kind, refused. This was one printer, not the whole of China. There are book stores here in the UK who will not carry Tarot decks - but that doesn't mean none here will stock them.

no @Decan your English as always is excellent 🙂 like gregory and Raggy said, it looks like an ethical decision against all tarot with their new beliefs 😞

@gregory I think you are right, they should have been honest that they are having problems, this was a project with very complicated logistics in the printing perhaps. It would be better to update the backers and delay it.

@DownUnderNZer great point in that it is always a funding risk! I have always had no problems with backing decks but others are still waiting on decks from years ago.  I am perhaps a little too ready to back decks on it and need to be careful of the risks.

5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I think it’s also possible that it is a combination of cardstock + lamination + gilding that they haven’t tried before so it’s behaving in unexpected ways.  

agree this is most likely, whut? oh boy,I wish I have your *intuition ability!;D it would be handy!^^ lol

@gregory Haha! It's me!^^(still waiting,,, for the record!x,x facepalm but don't mind as it's still best deck in my collection & it's worth lesson learned; *I'll Never Ever EVER back another ks BEFORE CHECKING EXPECTED SHIPPING!x,x facepalm lol

@DownUnderNZer tnx 4 awesome summary!^^ Shops still my fav!^^ even with BD i had to wait 20+ days (&sometimes double if my deck get lost it still arrive!x,x i've got box opened several times but yet to miss a card!x,x lol

meh, imo *new find fate is convenient excuse when you wish to wriggle out of commitment that don't seem appealing anymore?;)

@DanielJUK agree i would prefer update & wait rather than double wait & mess!x.x facepalm

Thanks guys! Yes it’s probably what they meant to say.

I forgot that Tarot in itself can be a problem for some people, even a historical deck finally.

ETA: or this is just an excuse for something else they don't really want to explain; I have a vibe that everything wasn't said, but well...

Edited by Decan

FLizarraga

Daniel, thanks for sharing that letter. It is unfortunate that Lo Scarabeo has bumped into such obstacles during this project. I fear that the Modroni project will not be profitable to them. A shame, really.

As for crowdfunding, my only bad experience so far has been the Orson Welles Indiegogo campaign. The film was finished, it's already streaming on Netflix, and no one has received a single perk. At this point, I don't think we ever will...

ETA: On the other hand, reading the comments on the Orson Wells campaign, I was able to locate and download my perk (a digital copy of the film).

Edited by FLizarraga

Happy to inform my 2 missing cards arrived today! Yey my deck is complete now!^^*happy dance*

Must say while checking my cards again I noticed how beautiful elongated design look it's legit Old Tarot Vibe I Always Wanted + female courts my fav!^^ Best Deck in my collection & think we're yet to learn to appreciate it more in future as time goes & we forget about these *complications!;)

p.s now I need UV effect deck to complete my *printing Effect collections!:D

ideas plz!^^ lol (All but True Black are welcome don't like animal cruelty!x,x facepalm)

p.p.s  if anyone wondering what deck is that star card on LS envelope it's Sorcerers Tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sorcerers/ shame not full deck is in same style!;)

Edited by reall

imo they sent all replacement cards without tracking so postman just leave it in your mailbox without even ring a bell it's easy to miss if you are not home/checking regulary!x,x facepalm & they moved to that new ks?;) hopefully without hiccups this time!;D

eta; @FLizarraga i would be a squeaky wheel if your deck hasn't arrived yet!;D

Edited by reall

1 hour ago, reall said:

imo they sent all replacement cards without tracking so postman just leave it in your mailbox without even ring a bell it's easy to miss if you are not home/checking regulary!x,x facepalm & they moved to that new ks?;) hopefully without hiccups this time!;D

eta; @FLizarraga i would be a squeaky wheel if your deck hasn't arrived yet!;D

Yeah, I'm not missing cards, but a whole deck! 😄

I bought it after the campaigns had finished but before they started having trouble with the printers, so I'm assuming I'll be among the last to receive it, and trying to be patient, but not really succeeding... *biting nails*

Edited by FLizarraga

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, FLizarraga said:

😄

I bought it after the campaigns had finished but before they started having trouble with the printers, so I'm assuming I'll be among the last to receive it, and trying to be patient, but not really succeeding... *biting nails*

I bought mine during the same time period and received it in Canada at least a month ago.  I'm happy to say it is in perfect condition and I'm very grateful to Lo Scarabeo for allowing me to sneak in and buy one.  Lucky for me they had extras this time.

Flizarraga I hope you get yours very soon.,

4 hours ago, ballerina said:

I bought mine during the same time period and received it in Canada at least a month ago.  I'm happy to say it is in perfect condition and I'm very grateful to Lo Scarabeo for allowing me to sneak in and buy one.  Lucky for me they had extras this time.

Flizarraga I hope you get yours very soon.,

Thank you for the heads up, ballerina! I just wrote Arianna, just in case my deck has slipped through the cracks.

I received an update from Lo Scarabeo. Apparently they are still having quality issues, so they don't expect the latest batch to be ready until the end of October or so. They apologized and offered a refund, but I chose to wait. I have waited this far for this beautiful deck; what are a couple months more?

Venus Rising

thanks for the update @FLizarraga  I am waiting for my 2 replacement decks, so I was slightly curious as to when to possibly expect them. I figured it would be some time yet.  Agreed, it really is gorgeous and well worth the wait 🙂 

Sometimes you just have to be patient. We all know the difficulties LS had to face while printing this deck. And I'm pretty sure the end result will be well worth the wait.