Sign in to follow this  
Luxa

#22favs - The Magician

What's your favourite Magician card?  Or what are your favourites, if you're anything like me! ;)

I'm gonna take a few days to think about it, though I already have one in mind.

Sorry I'm a bit late putting this up, had such a hectic day yesterday!  And thanks for joining in, everyone! I loved seeing your favourite Fool cards.  Feel free to jump in now if you fancy it!  Open to everyone :)

Oh yeah, he's a fairly powerful magician, isn't he?  Especially with that background.  Good choice, Charlotte! :)

Well, again, I limited myself to 4. The first two, I didn't have to think much about at all, the other 2 were a little difficult and I had to go through a few decks to pick them out;

1 - The Steampunk Tarot (Moore). I love the whole arcane magic setting of this card.

2 - Deviant Moon Tarot. With 4 arms, he is one you have to watch, more of the embodiment of the stage magician I think.

3 - Light and Shadow Tarot. There is just so many symbols and things going on here, that I feel some real power and control in this one.

4 - Anna K Tarot. This one surprised me - it's the deck I forgot I had! Again, like the Steampunk Magician, I love the old-time-Merlinesque look of him.

IMG_20170717_0001.jpg.444e5995ebe877e6b8601981006f61ee.jpg

The Magician is weird for me, because I honestly prefer the RWS card to almost all the others I've seen. I think I just really love the colors and symbolism in that one.

But you know what improves everything? Cats.

2e2ff059f86d603977e0e2fc2666dd9f.jpg

Some honorable mentions:

The Divina Tarot. (The creator used to have card images on her site but not any more, so someone's Instagram post will have to do.) I think I like it because it condenses all the symbolism I like from the RWS, though it's missing the flowers.

I also really love The Magus in the Thoth.

I love that Magician in Tarot of Pagan Cats.

I think I like the Magician from RWS best too.

I am partial to two of my magicians: the Victorian Romantic and the Norse. I guess I like the idea of a wise old man (or god, as the case may be).

And the Anna K too!

a1abb0591660900d2af8aee06867b9bc--le-tarot-the-magicians.jpg.ac366e4265f992c2ade47a6455d9e930.jpg

odin.jpg.20e92ef6a0716b38be15345d4712be7e.jpg

Prism, I love your Magicians (and I liked your Fool too)! I have a feeling these threads are going to lead to enabling behavior...  ;D

Some of my favorite Magicians are from the Victorian Fairy, the Hezicos and the Gaian.

magician_vicfairy.jpg.78d64fb6530b6fb2d4228874d349ccaf.jpg

magician_hezicos.jpg.2481fb80acaae12ecd4bcfcd21c25bd6.jpg

magician_gaian.jpg.e22751b0c4b5962736ef5acfa7432cc6.jpg

Some great examples so far, thanks everyone!!

Lantana, its a funny thing, but cats do seem to improve everything!  I'm not keen on traditional, but I do like your cat magician!  Well, I suppose Anna K is traditional, I make another exception there ;)

I LOVE Neo as the magician, I'm a big matrix fan!

And the Victorian Fairy is on my list of favourite decks, so glad to see it here! :)

I've been away for some time so I'll have to look through my decks to see what I find, but one Magician I really love is the Fairy Tarot Magician from Lo Scarabeo. The deck has some wonderful majors, then public source fairy art (I think as I saw one of the minors from a story book in the 1800's) as the minors which is.. kinda uneven and I don't know if I like it. Back to the Magician, I'm also a sucker for Merlin types and I really like his owl and little setup in the dark.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/474x/fd/cb/be/fdcbbe8be9449cafcdcc27cf444c8ae6--tarot-card-art-tarot-cards.jpg

I love the Tabula Mundi Magus. If you're into symbolism it's got a lot, but it's not dry or dour-- the Hebrew letter for the Magus means House, interpreted here as house music, with the Magus as a cosmic dj bringing down the house with the music of creation - a galaxy in his raised hand and pentagram turntable in the lower.

Magus-Tabula-Mundi-Tarot.jpg

The Gaian is one of my favorites too. I also like the Magician from the Archeon deck. He is all attitude. You just now he will manifest his will whatever may come.

th.jpg.d85bb56724aeb7ff46ff276fc6291e03.jpg

I'm with Lantana here, cats make everything better  ;D So for this one I choose the Cat Magic card from the Mystical Cats tarot deck without hesitation!

The Magician is not a card I particularly love in general, I don't exactly know why, and most representations leave me 'cold'. But I love this one. I like all the details I could find while studying the card, related to elemental and alchemy symbolism.

fd156996bf7205e7d261c6f9f59053ea--oracle-cards-animal-pictures.jpg.cfe1150eb1501f3b4f2768d744884d07.jpg

I'm actually going to change my answer, if that's okay, because I completely forgot about the amazing Magician in the Wooden Tarot...

WoodenTarot_1Magician.jpg

Isn't it just magical? I never feel called to the Wooden Tarot until the very end of summer, so that's why this card slipped my mind when the thread was new.

Two of my favorite magicians happen to be female. The first is from the Mystical Tarot:

ebf90d1685c56dc0c405b462553960a0.jpg

The other one is from the Golden Tarot of Klimt, which depicts the goddess Hygeia from his painting Medizin:

8e57069488a726f66baaa12654670217--daily-tarot-le-tarot.jpg

Tarot of Transformation (Love the title "Master of Conscious Creation," as it speaks to manifesting intentions, plus the image is beautiful)

Thoth - The Magus

Cat People (love all the cloaking)

Victorian Romantic Tarot (I like the Magician's clear associations with The Hermit in this deck and think it lends itself to interesting comparisons/progressions...not a fan of the overall deck, though. :( )

index.jpg.988b71851d6a090204a3c0315dd9be11.jpg

The-Magus1.jpg.cc1e2199e362bd8c6af5e6708d995663.jpg

tarot-of-cat-people-12236.jpg.ca6c5fe0676e2f6b088b58c9bda59d3a.jpg

a1abb0591660900d2af8aee06867b9bc.jpg.0825ae6baa35f8c8fea916b7fa8f02e1.jpg

How could I forget the Cat Peoples Magician? It's one of the most ritualistic looking Magicians I know of. The long hair, cloak and accessories makes this magician look like a very dedicated person deep in ritual. There's something about the eyes too... for sure a big favourite for me too  ;D

How could I forget the Cat Peoples Magician? It's one of the most ritualistic looking Magicians I know of. The long hair, cloak and accessories makes this magician look like a very dedicated person deep in ritual. There's something about the eyes too... for sure a big favourite for me too  ;D

I agree, Page of Ghosts! It's a good one. I will also say that hands down The Lovers in The Cat People is my favorite depiction of all time (so beautiful and focused), though it de-emphasizes the idea of "choice" and possible love triangles found in other decks (Sacred Rose comes to mind, with the depiction of Adam and Eve and Lilith, as does The Lovers in the Enchanted Deck come to mind.)

I going to add another one from True Black Tarot here

092d599dac3bde4561812b0f4a5234c2_original.JPG?w=680&fit=max&v=1500249412&auto=format&q=92&s=d38b2df162368ae449379f428e6ed2bc

There is also this one from Skia on deviantart (another unfinished deck)

d14d42bc5317a0ba71d6802560524e9d.jpg

Plus I've always loved this painting (not sure about the borders on the card though!)

4773e979bcf4ccf7a967935e506660ac.jpg