What tv shows are you currently watching?

DownUnderNZer

Netflix: "Undercover."

TV series based on true events somewhere in Belgium or the Netherlands I think - possibly France. Flemish is the original language, but English is available.

Reminds me a bit of the Sopranos although not really Mafia focused just illegal drug trafficking and the police trying to get the top dog. 

Have only watched two episodes so far, but am enjoying it.

DND 🌞

I started watching Netflix: "Love & Anarchy" yesterday, and I couldn't stop until I had seen all eight episodes of the recently released first season. And I rarely binge-watch tv-series...

Storyline: A married consultant and a young IT tech kick off a flirty game that challenges societal norms — and leads them to re-evaluate their entire lives.

This is a Swedish TV series, and for me it was nice to see Ida Engvoll play a different character than the rather unsympathetic role she plays in "The Restaurant (Org: Vår tid är nu)".

The previous series I watched was Netflix: "The Queen's Gambit", loved that one as well.

I have to mention Slings & Arrows! I'm in season 2 (of 3) and its fantastic! I'm not a big Shakespeare person but its about a theater working on Shakespeare plays (one per season). Its Canadian, from probably about a decade ago, quite a few familiar faces. I'm watching it on Sundance Now. I can't recommend it enough! I'm having trouble doing things, I just want to keep watching!

I virtually never watch TV. In the last ten years I've seen Feud, the Mildred Pierce miniseries, Russian Doll and Hollywood.
And if I'm ailing I watch public domain reruns at archive.org. Something totally undemanding, like Leave It To Beaver, lol. I'm more of a books-and-old-movies person. And I find HD digital extremely off-putting. I really, REALLY don't like it. I don't want to see peoples' pores, let me escape into something silvery!

frank capra moonlight GIF by Maudit

Or at least three strip technicolor. But not the way things look now.

(Does anyone else have this issue? I never see it mentioned. I can't be the only one, the current stuff is seriously fugly!)

But I've heard nothing but good about The Queen's Gambit, so I may check it out at some point. If the plot and dialogue are good, I'll overlook appearances.

I watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale and well... I found this very disturbing, I'll likely stop there.
Otherwise the actresses and actors are quite good and everything, but it's the story, really freaky (I didn't read the novel either).

Edited by Decan

I'm now on the current season of The Crown and -

the netflix movie special MANK starring Gary Oldham, about the screenwriter of "Citizen Kane." excellent stuff.

9 minutes ago, burningtarot said:

I'm now on the current season of The Crown and -

the netflix movie special MANK starring Gary Oldham, about the screenwriter of "Citizen Kane." excellent stuff.

I'm guessing that since it's called MANK, it's about Herman Mankiewicz? Who's playing Orson Welles?

Herman has an EXTREMELY impressive filmography that includes (but is by no means limited to!) The Wizard of Oz, several Marx Brothers movies, and one of my top five favorite movies EVER, Dinner At Eight

His younger brother Joseph (is he in this? Who's playing Joseph?) directed The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. He also wrote and directed A Letter To Three Wives, and the brilliant, FLAWLESS All About Eve - another of my all time top five!

Herman also worked with Todd Browning and Lon Chaney Sr. on 1926's The Road To Mandalay - he wrote it. There is NOTHING like a Browning-Chaney film and the fact that they chose his screenplay back when he was still just getting started says a lot.

I'm talking incredibile brilliance here. I'm not a Netflix person, but this is one of those occasions where I'm going to have to sign up for a month just to see one film.
Thank you!

On 12/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, Decan said:

I watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale and well... I found this very disturbing, I'll likely stop there.
Otherwise the actresses and actors are quite good and everything, but it's the story, really freaky (I didn't read the novel either).

With a lot of the stuff the Dominionists are trying to push, it's too close for comfort.
I'm aware of what it's about, the characters, the plotline...but I haven't read or watched it, either.
I don't need to. They'd be preaching to the choir. "Offred"? NO.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, katrinka said:

With a lot of the stuff the Dominionists are trying to push, it's too close for comfort.
I'm aware of what it's about, the characters, the plotline...but I haven't read or watched it, either.
I don't need to. They'd be preaching to the choir. "Offred"? NO.

It's not the sort of series I generally watch, but I finally watched a few other episodes and while disturbing (this asks questions too), it's very well done, even captivating.

To recommend but "special"

Edited by Decan
DownUnderNZer

"""Sweet Home""" (Korean) on Netflix.

If you liked Kingdom (Asian zombie TV series) and even perhaps others like Goblin or Tunnel then this one might be for you.

I liked it so much that I think I will watch it again to see if I missed anything especially with reading subtitles.

There are a few moments in it that I reckon "no way would anyone just stand around like that whilst someone is being..." or "surely the reaction would be more...", but on the whole I thought it was definitely my cup of tea and just what I needed. AAA+++

Great cast, good character development and a well done story line not to mention some crazy as awesome monsters you  wouldn't want to encounter anytime soon or in any lifetime!!!

Not for everyone and probably not if you aren't into dark fantasy, sci fi and/or elements of horror.

A breathe of fresh air for me...

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

"""Alice In Bordertown""" (Japan).

Another one that was right up my alley!

Couldn't see Hatchiko in Shibuya so contacted my friend to see if it had been removed?!?! Alas...no. Thank goodnes!

Anyhow...

This is like a cross between Saw, the Hunger Games and Battle Royale. 👍👍👍

Enjoyed it immensely!

DND🌞

DownUnderNZer

NightStalker (Netflix)

I didn't really know a lot about this man or what he did, but this documentary most definitely changed all that!

I have a hard time fathoming why some become such deadly predators and/or cold blooded monsters.

Wouldn't recommend this documentary mini series if you aren't into true crime.

DND 🌞

legendaryelement

rotating episodes equally each day:

Star Trek Next Generation

Star Trek Deep Space 9

SG-1 (Stargate)

I'm doing a Netflix thing lately.  Still into Lucifer but am now watching Hollywood, Pokemon Journeys, Unorthodox, Altered Carbon (not the animated one already saw that).  I no longer have cable TV, we cut the cord over a year ago, so now I use Roku.  I haven't  missed cable at all!

DownUnderNZer

Fate: The Winx Saga S1

Netflix

Just started watching this and am actually enjoying it - kind of like a Harry Potter feel as well as The Worst Witch TV Series (I think) on Netflix only perhaps a bit darker and maybe targeting an audience that isn't under 10.

Would like to watch one called The Seven Deadly Sins, but Netflix here isn't the same as other countries. Each country has content that is the same, but sometimes absolutely not. Like we don't get Sons of Anarchy/Bordertown S3 and a number of others.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

Snowpiercer S2 Netflix.

It just showed up for Australia not sure about other countries...

Hope it keeps me interested as it started to waiver off a bit near the end of the last season.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

LUPIN      Netflix

If you like tv shows like the Queen's Gambit or even James Bond movies... then this might be right up your alley.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer
1 hour ago, DownUnderNZer said:

LUPIN      Netflix

If you like tv shows like the Queen's Gambit or even James Bond movies... then this might be right up your alley.

DND 🌞

This is kind of a Prison Break vibe as well in some ways.

DownUnderNZer

Bordertown S3 Australia Netflix

It is FINALLY coming down under - I almost fell off the couch!

So very very happy...

DND 😁😁😁

DownUnderNZer

YouTube

Am sure this would probably be from a documentary broken down in to parts.

If I was this girl's mum I would be so proud because she is independent, resourceful and self sufficient. It shows her building her own bamboo villa, primitive kitchen, water filter (plus some) using mostly her hands and what is at hand. Eg Mud/Clay/Trees.

There is no talking and the mellow music might not be for all, but this fantastic example of a hardworking female is wonderful to observe.

A great educator for all generations.

Girl Living Off The Grid, Build The Most Beautiful Bamboo Villa...  Primitive Survival Life.

There are others linked to this - each is like 6-15 mins+ long.

DND 🌞

Edited by DownUnderNZer
Adding Details.
DownUnderNZer

Bordertown S3

I think I should have been a bit more prepared for episode one. I knew it might happen at some point - just not in the very first instalment of Season 3.

Love all the main characters in this tv series and must say although it took a bit of warming up to get into it - am so glad I did.

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer
Just now, DownUnderNZer said:

Bordertown S3

I think I should have been a bit more prepared for episode one. I knew it might happen at some point - just not in the very first instalment of Season 3.

Love all the main characters in this tv series and must say although it took a bit of warming up to get into it - am so glad I did.

DND 🌞

Only made it to Episode 3 so still a little ways to go!

Would recommend this if you are into crime shows like NCIS or Criminal Minds.

Mindhunters is another brilliant one and also on Netflix!

DND 🌞