What tv shows are you currently watching?

DownUnderNZer

Watched one episode of...The Search.

Read up on the story as well because it is based on true events.

I get the controversy, but am not sure what to make of it yet...

DND 🌞

Started watching the sitcom Cheers. I loooove the show Frasier, and Cheers became available on Netflix so thought we would give it a go. It has aged a little more than Frasier, but it is very funny. 

Also recently watched The Good Liar with Helen Mirren. Which was interesting.

The last months I really watched nothing!

Nevertheless I have a few things on my wishlist, like Marcella (the last season), that's a bit dark though. Generally I prefer series to movies, and particularly British series (or from the north of Europe), detective and crime series with a killing suspense if I can say 😄

Otherwise dry humor can be my cup of tea, but I'm not wild at all about romantic series (actually I never watch).

Since I subscribed to Prime (and hence to Prime video), I canceled Netflix.

There was something I would like to note: they say they have a technology on Netflix to offer to their customers a list of series/movies they will like. But I never liked the choices they offered to me, never! Otherwise there were programs I liked of course, but not among what "I could like" according to them, they were always off the mark on that.

Sorry to say it but on Amazon Prime the technology they are using works better regarding this.

Ok so lately I watched Inspector Monk. The character they created here seems a blend of Columbo and Hercule Poirot with something pathetic.

I am watching The Third Day, on Sky, or Now TV in the UK. It's sort of David Lynch meets the Wicker Man, and I am enjoying it very much. It had a twelve hour long live filmed piece on Sunday, in the middle of the more conventional episodes. Very atmospheric.

For a Prime Day deal I subscribed to Sundance Now and Showtime on the cheap. I've made up watchlists for both for the next two months. I finished A Discovery of Witches this morning, which I enjoyed alright and am now watching Kidding which is pretty great. My "in the background" show is a mini-docu-series Murder In the Bayou which is actually turning out to be more interesting than I'd anticipated.

No teevee for me. I took a free month of Netflix and all I watched was Dolomite (which was hilarious). Nothing else interested me. I have Prime and I mostly watch old stuff there. I did watch the new Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslet. It stuck a lot closer to the book than the Joan Crawford version, it was better in a lot of ways.
But here's the thing - and I'm going to sound like an old pruneface, but I don't care: I really don't want to see all the thrusting buttocks that seem to be obligatory these days. If it's not germane to the plot, why make people strip down and do stuff? What happened to Gable scooping up Harlow and kicking the bedroom door shut? 

I'm not trying to be Old Lady Decency here, and if the subject matter requires being explicit, by all means be explicit. But I don't care to WATCH every time a character gets laid. I'm watching to see what happens, and this stuff is just mindless filler. It kills time, and it's boring. Get on with the plot!

DownUnderNZer

Netflix - The Queen's Gambit.

Brilliant TV show!

As a major fan of chess and probably being the only one that played it in school that was female - this tv show really hits all the right spots for me.

The little girl in the first episode portraying Elizabeth Harmon should have been in at least three of them or more - fantastic acting.

Chess at its best in tournament style - the realism is on point. Anyone watching would think this story is based on a true story as it is so well done. Great cast. Loved it!

Chernobyl

Yet to watch this series as it is heavy going and needs the right mind set I reckon.

It was recommended to me by friends and is still number one for 2020 with some of them.

It is based on what happened in Chernobyl so is not for the faint hearted really.

Working my way up to spending some quality time watching it.

DND 🌞

I asked my FB friends for a Star Trek series other than Next Gen.  I opted to try The Orville based on their recommendations.

I absolutley love it; I think the plots are brilliant.  Social commentary, action, awesome special effects. A good bunch of laughs too. -- what's not to like?

I love The Orville!  I am happy to know they are going to do a third season.

Now I'm watching Preacher Season 2 and I'm just in Season 1 of Warehouse 13 and Legends of Tomorrow.  Also just finished Season XII of Red Dwarf.  That show is fabulous and has never wavered through all the years it's been on.  Warehouse 13 and Legends of Tomorrow are light fare to balance out Preacher and other heavier shows that come and go.

DownUnderNZer
On 10/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, TheFeeLion said:

@DownUnderNZer Chernobyl was on TV here in NZ a while ago, it was very good. Definitely worth watching!

My husband and I are watching Vikings at the moment. Started watching when it first came out but for some reason we only watched the first two episodes. Really enjoying it so far

I really enjoyed the Vikings for at least the first three seasons or so, but haven't seen the last season and a half yet.

Am still working my way up to watching Chernobyl as am a bit nervous about how realistic it is from what what I've been told, but am getting there. Thanks! 👍

What else have I watched since I posted?

Netflix: Barbarians and Marcella (S3) - most of it.

Barbarians isn't too bad - Marcella is a great tv series!

DND 🌞

DownUnderNZer

Netflix - "On The Basis Of Sex".

Another brilliant film based on a true story and/or events.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

One of the first females to study Law at Harvard that eventually takes on a sex discrimination case that kind of changes everything when it comes to the work place and gender roles, however, she is not the first female in history to have made waves...

Absolutely enjoyed it!

DND🌞

i'm with   @DownUnderNZer  -- it's all about The Queen's Gambit. it's on Netflix. really quite well done, well acted, gorgeous photography, excellent period costumes and sets, great pacing (long slow shots, close ups of people's faces and expressions), really good teleplay.

DownUnderNZer

Can't write pass the @ and nicknames. Sorry.

Bodhiseed - RGB was, it seems, one brilliant woman with a very sharp mind. I liked Kathy Bate's character in it as well - even if just a cameo appearance. If you do see "The Queens Gambit" I hope you enjoy it too.

burningtarot - My sentiments exactly! Almost seemed like a true story and was worth watching 100%.

DND 🌞