The Modern Witch Tarot

reall

just find out this one is to be published as full Tarot deck 78!:D

I fell in love with it seeng 1st illustration on fb & so happy to see it's happening! definitly my wishlist & 1st witches tarot i'm getting as not bit tacky but *Modern I like!^^ lolz

find img on artist page http://lisasterle.tumblr.com/

& ig; https://www.instagram.com/LisaSterle/

ETA; preorders for standards edt on amazon & BD are up!:D

Modern-Witch-tarot-small.jpg.b2bdb7d138e72bc525d9360334e910e9.jpg

tumblr_p52rip6Lws1qdo0fbo4_1280.jpg.e806c725047dfb6ddc1a31afe4b73795.jpg

EmpyreanKnight

I like what I'm seeing! Thanks for linking Lisa's Tumblr account, Irena. The other cards in the series look interesting. I'm going to keep my eye on this. :)

you are welcome!:D imo this is best Modern Witch Tarot i've ever seen & definitly worth keeping an eye on!^^ lolz

Page of Ghosts

Ahh, that Magician is so good! I've seen her before, will keep an eye out for this deck  ^-^ I'm decluttering my tarot decks any day soon so I have to see what I will decide about acquiring new ones.

This is stunning! I've seen a whole bunch of 'modern witch' tarots that never felt quite right, but I am officially in love with this one! That Magician!!!

Please share any updates you see about this deck, I will snatch it up the instant it's available!

This is stunning! I've seen a whole bunch of 'modern witch' tarots that never felt quite right, but I am officially in love with this one! That Magician!!!

Please share any updates you see about this deck, I will snatch it up the instant it's available!

my [oint exactly!:) will do! can't wait for publication date!:D

EmpyreanKnight

I particularly like the Empress card. She looks rather familiar. ;)

tumblr_p2clyfkDWG1qdo0fbo1_1280.png

Also - the poor pupper on the Fool card. :-\

The art style is interesting. it is obviously taking inspiration from RWS. The only issue I have with this type of deck is that they can be lacking in the masculine energy as all the male elements are removed. Alchemically that could be seen as unbalancing the formula, or in other words removing the Yang from the Yin. I worry that it could make it harder to see certain things if it exudes a purely feminine spirit. Of course this is just my opinion, I just find that a good deck normally balances the two elements. I could see this as a curiosity deck as it is a departure from the normal "tropes" of the "genre".

Carus[/member] hm, good point!:) But I think this one would work well as girl power/confirmation deck?:) so definitly top of my wishlist!^^

Indeed it seems interesting in the way it twists your expectations. When you do get one please do let me know how you find it, I'd be interested to see what sort of personality it has.

Indeed it seems interesting in the way it twists your expectations. When you do get one please do let me know how you find it, I'd be interested to see what sort of personality it has.

Sure! Plan getting it & posting my review moments it's out! hopefully 2019,,,;)

Eta; just find this post;

I was just about to post about this deck that I am in love with and used the search function and found this old thread :thumbsup:

I found out about this deck from Watkins Books in London's social media channels who were promoting it. The deck is by horror comic artist Lisa Sterle and is a modern take on the RWS. Looking at the artwork it makes me think Sabrina the teenage witch / Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Riverdale, Charmed, that sort of theming. The deck only features women but very diversely and stylishly, racially diverse and I think some of the women look non binary (Emperor and Chariot). There is also an array of body shapes (Star).

It looks in the artwork that they have small white borders on the cards and also they have gotten rid of the wording at the bottom of the minor arcana which I think does improve it. Here is some of the finished artwork below....

Modern-Witch-0-8-1.thumb.png.6b159a7bba7edb557e7d87d146da434f.png2019-MWT-4-Front-copy.thumb.jpg.fff25f0fe251375bcd11b5e51e73240d.jpg

The deck is scheduled to be released on the 19th November 2019 in Europe and in October in the USA and is available for preorder from all book shop chains and is massmarket, it is already on all amazon versions for preordering. 

The publishers website says.....

Modern Witch Tarot is a magical take on traditional tarot symbolism, inspired by fashion and modern witches from every walk of life. Spark your imagination, seek your inner wisdom and discover your true power.

What comes with the Standard Edition:

• Full 78 card deck + 2 bonus cards
  • Mini hardcover introductory book (little white booklet on steroids!)

If you buy the standard edition from the publishers own website, you also get a velvet tarot bag designed by the artist (see description of it below), You will need to pay postage on this from the publisher directly.

From today you can also preorder the Limited Edition version which is only from the publishers website. It is a lot more expensive than the standard edition but you get.....

The Modern Witch Tarot special edition is limited strictly to 1,111 copies and will ONLY be available directly from the Liminal 11 web shop.

If you pay in a currency that isn’t Pounds Sterling, the price conversion might vary depending on your bank and the exchange rate at date/time of purchase. Your bank might charge you a fee. 

What makes this edition so special? 

• Limited to 1,111 copies
  • Signed and numbered by Lisa Sterle
  • Full deck with beautiful gold gilding (inside slipcase box)
  • Mini hardcover introductory book (little white booklet on steroids!)
  • Black velvet tarot bag with Modern Witch Emblem embroidered in gold (also included with Standard Edition from the publisher's website only).
  • Original tarot scarf
  • Custom enamel pin
  • Custom iron-on patch
  • All in an embossed gold tin!

You also get free worldwide postage on the Special Edition.

I gave in and bought the special edition, because I just love this deck's artwork and RWS clones and there are 403 editions left as I post this.

You can see the all the Majors at Lisa's website here

Standard Edition from the publisher directly preorder here

Special Limited Edition from the publisher directly preroder here

I've not seen every card image but love the artwork and style. My fave cards are The Magician, the fabulous Empress and of course that 10 of Swords! Swords in the back and on the ground and yet you are still whatsapping your friends gossip group about how bad it is 🤣❤️

Edited by DanielJUK

yeah, that 10 of Swords what got me to this deck!;D

Wish they keep Original text Imagine you draw 10 of Swords & it say *Everything is fine!:D lol

wish they keep same quirky messages for all minors!^^ lol

Also wish it's not *girls only as I'm used to emperor & kings gender stereotypes & imo it'll be more balanced?;D

Edited by reall

I did preorder this deck in the end and cannot wait for it! :thumbsup:

@reall yes totally agree with you about the genders, it would make it even better! I was looking through her different artworks and I think (this is very confusing) the images with writing are now prints, you can buy prints of them but the actual deck cards have no quotes on them

Edited by DanielJUK

2 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

I did preorder this deck in the end and cannot wait for it! :thumbsup:

@reall yes totally agree with you about the genders, it would make it even better! I was looking through her different artworks and I think (this is very confusing) the images with writing are now prints, you can buy prints of them but the actual deck cards have no quotes on them

Oh! Thank You! looking at those prints asap!:) btw looking forward to your review as well! wondering what will book be about?;)

Page of Ghosts

went and searched for this deck and saw myself earlier in this thread 😅 I'm currently waiting for my copy of it, not sure which edition but it was one that seemed to be in stock at an expected price for webshops in my country. hoping this deck can be what the everyday witch tarot was not for me ☺️ this is... my second deck this year? how the times have changed! 

it's really nice to see you around the forum again @Page of Ghosts ❤️ and thanks for the special edition stock update @Iona 🙂

I saw some tweets in my feed today from Lisa Sterle the Comic Book artist creator of the deck and the deck was released a few days ago, she launched it at Watkins Books here in London with a Q and A and signings of decks. This weekend she is at a Comic festival in Yorkshire promoting the deck and signing them. The publisher also is packaging the online orders of the deck and so I think they will start to be sent out next week! They will also start to arrive at book shops and Amazon around the world, so it looks like they will start arriving! yay! At the Comic Festival she sold out of half the physical stock today :thumbsup:

Page, I hope you love this deck better ❤️

I have preordered the special edition sometime in June. But only just now realized that it includes a SCARF....?! ☺️ How exciting!

This will be my first pure RWS clone. I think the design is interesting and I am digging the colors.

Page of Ghosts

hi to you too @DanielJUK! I like to look around a bit here from time to time even if I'm not very active, it's always nice to see a familiar name ☺️

after some delay I got my mass market deck and I've just been gently exploring it looking at the images and feeling the cards. the box is interesting - I appreciate every variety of tarot deck box that won't have me wrestling the dreaded flap! the lwb is an actual little bound book, which is new for me. the cards are very firm so I had a hard time shuffling them with my medium size lady hands and had to do one half at a time. maybe it will get better with use? I'm not one who needs my cards to be as thick as possible, but if anyone else is I hope they will be pleased. I think some USGS decks are thick enough for me (think Dreaming Way or Pauline, even the Centennial RWS), this is even firmer than those I think since I can shuffle them just fine! 

rather self-centered I asked the deck the fun question of "tell me something about myself" and got the Five of Cups. so I'm a moody pessimist who stands outside of modern society, I take it to mean. with the image of the card and the knowledge I have of myself I think this one card reading is pretty accurate 😉 I should probably do a follow up Q one day. 

EvelynnMorragan

Has anyone heard anything about this deck recently? I had it on my wishlist, but it's MIA from Amazon, BN, Bookdepository, etc.