Sola Busca Museum Quality Kit by Lo Scarabeo

EmpyreanKnight

EmpyreanKnight

It seems like the Sola Busca revival is still going strong.

There is some good news for everyone who missed out on the very first offering of Lo Scarabeo's Anima Antiqua series. Their deluxe Sola Busca is going to be released again this January 2019, and this time it's going to be in a museum-quality kit!

I like how responsive LS has become to popular clamor - the initial release has sold out in around six months after all. And now, not only is it going to be reprinted -  it's going to come out with an extensive guidebook by renowned Sola Busca scholar Paola Gnaccolini. This is a huge deal, as the available texts on the Sola Busca by Di Vincenzo, Adams, Dorsini, etc are rather hard to come by and/or expensive.

Btw I have the Sola Busca they released last year, and for the price (especially when compared to the versions released by other houses) it really was quite a steal. I'm very happy with it - I even use it in some of my readings. I did wonder why the hues seem a bit faded, but I've read somewhere that this is accurately reflective of the original cards held by the Pinacoteca Brera, and if anything the other versions are oversarturated compared to the source. Anyway, on to the Kit!

EmpyreanKnight

From the Sola Busca Kit's Llewellyn page:

One of the oldest tarot decks ever created, the Sola Busca is known for its alchemical symbolism and for having inspired many of the minor arcana of the Rider Waite Smith deck. The first entry in Lo Scarabeo's Anima Antiqua (Ancient Soul) series, this deck is now available as a deluxe, oversized kit with a guidebook in a premium hardbox. These cards, printed on premium cardstock, have been lovingly printed with great care from originals found in the greatest collections of rare tarot decks. Previously sold as a limited-edition deck, this new museum quality kit enhances the Sola Busca experience by providing the history behind the deck as well as card meanings and spread ideas.

Boxed kit (7¾ x 9¼) includes a 78-card deck printed on premium cardstock and a 144-page guidebook, all packaged in a deluxe box.

9780738761169.jpg

EmpyreanKnight

Additional Images (which look visually similar to the cards in the Anima Antiqua Sola Busca that I have):

2273.jpg

Major V - Catulo

2274.jpg

King of Amphorae - Lucio Cecilio R.

2275.jpg

Ten of Swords

(yup Swords, not Clubs/Wands)

2276.jpg

Card Backs

EmpyreanKnight

Btw HERE is a thread we had on the Sola Busca. I posted some resources on the deck there, altho really they barely scratched the surface. Enjoy!

EmpyreanKnight

I was saddened when it became OOP after just a few months, thinking that I should have bought a backup deck. When this kit comes, I swear I'm going to get myself 2 sets.

EmpyreanKnight

The kit is just the sturdy box, the 78 cards, and the 144-page guudebook. I do hope that they release more images soon tho, I'm rather curious about how the inside look like. :)

Queen of Nothing

I was able to track down an Anima Antiqua one at original retail price from a bookstore in Singapore. But, I haven't dared mess with it because it doesn't have the varnish to keep it from chipping. Plus, as everyone mentioned, helpful texts are hard to come by. I'm definitely going to snag a copy when it comes out.

Thank you for info.

Just pre-ordered one and, if i'm lucky, I'll get it.

I'm in love with Sola Busca. I have Anima Antiqua and the Scarabeo older deck, and two versions of my own drawings.

Saturn Celeste

What is the card stock like for this deck?  For anyone that has it of course.

DND X/

I haven't received my copy yet, it's been delayed.  I'm supposed to get it around Feb 13 - Mar 20.  I'm really hoping that guidebook is more than the typical LWB that comes with LoScarabeo.  It's why I'm buying this deck is in hopes we get an actual companion book this time.  I can let you know how the cards are when I get them!

DownUnderNZer

Saturn Celeste

I weakened and did a preorder which has July 2019 set for Australia and New Zealand by the looks of it.

I might get a 2nd one as a back up.

Please do let me know about the quality that would be really appreciated.

DND :thumbsup:

What is the card stock like for this deck?  For anyone that has it of course.

DND X/

I haven't received my copy yet, it's been delayed.  I'm supposed to get it around Feb 13 - Mar 20.  I'm really hoping that guidebook is more than the typical LWB that comes with LoScarabeo.  It's why I'm buying this deck is in hopes we get an actual companion book this time.  I can let you know how the cards are when I get them!

I received my LS Museum Quality kit the other day. Did anyone else get one?

Right off the bat I'm disappointed by the extremely slick slippery finish. Very hard to handle and the high gloss completely negates any historical feel. The finish on the backs is inconsistent. Some are super glossy on the back, others are not. It's as if some of the cards having a different coating on the back than others.

The finish on the book cover is marred too.

Already they are only available through third party sellers on Amazon US. But my was shipped and sold by Amazon from a pre-order.

Saturn Celeste
56 minutes ago, McFaire said:

Right off the bat I'm disappointed by the extremely slick slippery finish. Very hard to handle and the high gloss completely negates any historical feel. The finish on the backs is inconsistent. Some are super glossy on the back, others are not. It's as if some of the cards having a different coating on the back than others.

You know I have the deck but never opened the plastic around the cards, I'm keeping them sealed so I have no idea about the quality.  I have an open deck from the antiqua series that I use and I have the booklet to finally find out about the major arcana!  If I do end up selling a Sola Busca it will be the museum deck.  I'll just copy the booklet to continue to use with my other deck.

Saturn Celeste
1 hour ago, McFaire said:

When did you get the so-called museum quality deck, @Saturn Celeste?

I pre-ordered mine on 6/25 and it just arrived on 9/17

I got mine around then also.  I just checked and got it on Sept 14th.

5 hours ago, McFaire said:

I received my LS Museum Quality kit the other day. Did anyone else get one?

The finish on the book cover is marred too.

Already they are only available through third party sellers on Amazon US. But my was shipped and sold by Amazon from a pre-order.

I considered buying one but didn’t. Now I’m interested to hear if more people had the same experience as you regarding the quality of the deck. And slippery finish is definitely not something I would want on a historical reproduction 😕

The slick finish should wear away with use. I'm curious what people will feel about the deck though. A book store near me has two boxes. I dont want one.

Really, I dont. 

7 hours ago, Eric said:

The slick finish should wear away with use.

I've had other slick decks that I hoped would break in over time, but they really don't.

I bought one of these the second time they were printed (I was not alive when they first came out).

I liked them and bought a set for my son which I gave him on his 18th birthday; they are thus his first Tarot deck.

I would say that they are entirely for study: they are too thick and large to shuffle for a reading.